Preferred logout mechanics?

Preferred logout mechanics?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of logout mechanic do you prefer for your body?

• Ragdoll falls down (similar to Ark)
    • Body vanishes/fades away
    • Need to log out in cryochamber/bed
    • Other (explain below)

I'm wondering what type of logout mechanics people would prefer for their bodies.

I'm personally a fan of the ragdoll idea (Ark's logout mechanics), as it can solve many of the issues related to logging out on a multi-crewed ship when travelling through space very easily. However, it has its own risks associated with it that some players really dislike. 

Vanishing in to thin air is what i think it should be :) imagine loging off in a ship for a month. After a bit you can have floor littered with 'ragdolls' of your comrades.

And definately against being able to log off in cryochamber only, imagine you have to go afk while in a ship with nearset chamber 20 min away... it is a game after all.

I prefer an immersive idea like the cryo unit or bed......   I don't think that would WORK but I would prefer it.  How about a mix?  If you log off in a cryo unit or bed you continue learning whatever skill you have selected.  If you log off onto a console whatever it controls still operates but under an in-game AI.  That would certainly help out on ships that need larger crews.  If you log off in the middle of nowhere....  Actually, how would they handle you logging off in the middle of nowhere?  For instance, I log off on the surface of a planet.  Another player comes by and builds a structure or digs a great big hole where I was previously standing.  Where would I go?  That might be a limiting factor on log off options itself.

See, in WoW, you could Log off wherever you pleased, BUT, if you did log out in a certain area with beds (an inn for example) you could get rest bonuses, which amped your XP gain. Now, the rest bonus could possibly be a speed boost when running on the ground, ora drop chance increase, something to give an insentive to log out on a place with beds.

And logging out would require a ten second period of out of combat activity. No Alt+Q+Q when losing a battle.

How about this. Instead of logging out in cryotubes/beds, you set them as your log in point. You may not log into the game inside them, but next to them. That way you can log out where ever. On a ship or planet. You would only need one per ship/base or what have you. I think this would have the most benefit for most situations. You wouldn't have to worry about your ragdoll falling through structures, or have to worry about building around you or digging a hole under you. As well as not allowing travel between them, as you would need for it to scan your "DNA" so to speak, so you can spawn there on log in.

BUT, there needs to be things to prevent abuse, like you would need to be logged out for a certain amount of time before it took effect. Also, maybe you can only have a limited number of inventory items on you. Unless its a lost connection type of thing maybe? Also, if you are tagged for combat, maybe you drop most of your inventory if you combat log, or you log into a different, maybe random location. Maybe combat logging is ragdoll?

As soon as I got the idea, the ways to abuse immediately came to mind, lol. So, my idea would HAVE to have ways to prevent abuse. 

How about this. Instead of logging out in cryotubes/beds, you set them as your log in point. You may not log into the game inside them, but next to them. That way you can log out where ever. On a ship or planet. You would only need one per ship/base or what have you. I think this would have the most benefit for most situations. You wouldn't have to worry about your ragdoll falling through structures, or have to worry about building around you or digging a hole under you. As well as not allowing travel between them, as you would need for it to scan your "DNA" so to speak, so you can spawn there on log in.

BUT, there needs to be things to prevent abuse, like you would need to be logged out for a certain amount of time before it took effect. Also, maybe you can only have a limited number of inventory items on you. Unless its a lost connection type of thing maybe? Also, if you are tagged for combat, maybe you drop most of your inventory if you combat log, or you log into a different, maybe random location. Maybe combat logging is ragdoll?

As soon as I got the idea, the ways to abuse immediately came to mind, lol. So, my idea would HAVE to have ways to prevent abuse. 

YEAH.  This could be a real problem!

Just FYI - Ragdoll physics is very difficult to sync even with only one server, there's no promises they'll be able to do it within their all-in-one shard technology where an item might move between servers whenever it moves in the environment (Depending on how many people are there). Even if they do manage to do it for the occasional fall to your doom scenario, performance wise a solution requiring no calculations at all (a.k.a. cryo pod, disappearing into thin air or whatnot) is always going to be easier on the hardware.

On the other hand, the opportunity to use absent characters as Firefly style Reaper decorations for your ship...  :D

When you log out of game your character drops on floor, when you are in bed or cryochamber it of course stayes there , maybe adding slight buffes from bed/cryochamber sleeping or slight debufs after floor sleeping just to direct players to bed/cryo... (less technicly demanding)

About stealing ships... it has to be considered what happends to ship when you leave..

What I would like is something like in Star Citizen ,where the ship remains on spot and lowers emissions so it is hard to detect...

If you dont stumble over it - you wont find it

Or if you want, i could activate autopilot...

Yeah , and about that making hole around you when you are away... I think it is easier to kill and loot you on spot.. :D

And if there really is joker like that... I would expect option for suicide ==> respawn at nearest "ressurection node"

It isn´t minecraft , your either make save place to log out, return to arc ship - OR DIE!

If the cryochamber/bed idea... was something you could craft easily... bring with you... even share...

You could have space on your crewed ship just for the beds... just like real ships... where people could log off and on from. 

I think of it sorta like the Minecraft bed mechanic... where it becomes your spawn point if you're killed.  Unless it's destroyed then you default back to some other point.

Depending on how it works... this could allow player built "medical frigates" or stations... where people could register their spawn points there.  So if instead of defaulting back to the arkship if your bed is destroyed... maybe it searches for the nearest or most recent bed you've registered at... and puts you there.  Then you'd spawn close to where you were... and if there was a massive war where every friendly spawn point chamber/bed was destroyed ... well there's always the arkship.

@Fitorion

Space Hotel. They are allowed to sleep for a fixed price. Could be amazing if you were to offer cruise services as well, going fom planet to planet, carrying people who want to go incognito (or let's face it, they may be cheap on the gas).

the nessecarity to log out at certain places would be very annoying, thus not likely, a basic feature that can be needed anytime can't be bound to such circumstances.

Amen to that brother! ;) Could not have said it better myself

I voted for the body to fade away, although I do like the cryo-bed idea, but making it a point of resurrection like Minecraft beds definitely appeals to me. I wonder if the Ark itself will serve that purpose, though it depends on far away from an Ark you are. Portable rez maybe a necessity.

That said, I think for ease of logout, I say the fade away/disappear route.

I voted fade out. Though why not have a teleport of sorts? You log out and your body is teleported to a space storage (like the cryo) and you can choose to log back in a the log out location (system making sure you're not spawning in mid air) or a local cryo bay.

I voted cryobed...seems more realistic I guess, though potentially more irritating if you're no where near one and need to log. It would be interesting if there was a way you could log out and just leave your character doing a set program of jobs...or guildies could give your toon commands and use you as a pet/helper/slave ...like thing,  say if you were on a big ship and were still needed, and your leaving was a big problem for your team mates wanting to play on, or whatever... yah, I know - earth to Schwankenbast.

I like the idea of a souless logout type system. Basically when in a safe zone or area that does not allow PvP logout is instant but when not in such a zone then logout takes a bit of time (or your body ragdolls). There should also be a system where if you are in combat (like PvE or someone breaking PvP rules in a town) within a safe area it will take x amount of time for you to actually log out similar to not being in a safe zone.

I voted cryobed...seems more realistic I guess, though potentially more irritating if you're no where near one and need to log. It would be interesting if there was a way you could log out and just leave your character doing a set program of jobs...or guildies could give your toon commands and use you as a pet/helper/slave ...like thing,  say if you were on a big ship and were still needed, and your leaving was a big problem for your team mates wanting to play on, or whatever... yah, I know - earth to Schwankenbast.

What if the cryobed is there with you on the crewed ship?  So the ship can be run in shifts like real ships... people log off and new people log on to take their duty station...

You could add a delay during battle if you die so any invading players actually stand a chance of making it to the beds and destroying them... preventing people from respawning back on the ship.  Basically to prevent a never ending supply of defenders for the ship.

What if the cryobed is there with you on the crewed ship?  So the ship can be run in shifts like real ships... people log off and new people log on to take their duty station...

You could add a delay during battle if you die so any invading players actually stand a chance of making it to the beds and destroying them... preventing people from respawning back on the ship.  Basically to prevent a never ending supply of defenders for the ship.

That would be an awful lot of planning and coordination for ONE ship.  I grow hesitant when a game mimics reality so much it becomes an actual job.  As for a way to prevent respawning, I think the devs already had a notion on this.  The quantum "Resurrection Nodes" are supposed to be buildable and destroyable war assets.  

Of course, this just means I need to turn the interior ship design into a bloody labyrinth/deathtrap. B)

Hmm, seems like a problem without one best solution. I would suggest that using cryopod/cryobed to spawn in and out, while disconnecting for any other reason results in character death and then the resurrection is handled normally when logging on. It may seem unfair, but I get the feeling of having ragdolls everywhere isn't that good of a solution. Also, the cryobeds would work like the resurrection nodes where you spawn in the closest one, to avoid teleport abuse.

Hmm, seems like a problem without one best solution. I would suggest that using cryopod/cryobed to spawn in and out, while disconnecting for any other reason results in character death and then the resurrection is handled normally when logging on. It may seem unfair, but I get the feeling of having ragdolls everywhere isn't that good of a solution. Also, the cryobeds would work like the resurrection nodes where you spawn in the closest one, to avoid teleport abuse.

I agree with the cryobed part if possible...but I would say ragdoll if a cryobed isn't nearby. Similar to Avatar...so ragdolling would probably result in death 9/10 times...but there's always that 10% chance :)