Preferred logout mechanics?

Preferred logout mechanics?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of logout mechanic do you prefer for your body?

• Ragdoll falls down (similar to Ark)
    • Body vanishes/fades away
    • Need to log out in cryochamber/bed
    • Other (explain below)

19 hours ago, dualism said:

I'd like to ask if there is any news on this issue.

As far as I know: no.

If on pvp territory, have a quick 'dig-in' feature to bury yourself and maybe a vehicle in the existing terrain and then log off or go afk. It doesn't make you 100% safe, but goes a long way towards this. Also have a dig-out function or login similar to above.

If you want do dig-in, you have to dig-in yourself. (Nice idea btw)

There will be no quick dig-in mechanic as this can be missused to quickly hide constructs and alter the terrain. Also, where should the mined materials go?

NQ has sad, that after you log-out your character will despawn after some time, but your constructs will stay in the world.

Other than this, maybe you can be a 'guest' in territories, which if entered under guest status allows safe logout and protection of supplies unless the territory sustains massive damage by 3rd party attack or so.

Your constructs will only be safe in a protected friendly territory or in the safe zone.

Although "safe" here only means, that it can't be attacked. The territory owner still can burry it.

:)

57 minutes ago, Takao said:

There will be no quick dig-in mechanic as this can be missused to quickly hide constructs and alter the terrain.

this is one of probably thousands of cases of designing a feature to be useful but restricting it in some way to prevent misuse.

I was thinking of something like your avatar is moved into the terrain by 5 metres or whatever and set to inactive except for a dig-out/wake up command or so. You would not be 'altering' the terrain as such, but you could be found if someone happens to dig you up.

I expect players will very often find they have to go afk at the least, so what can they do to partially protect themselves quickly? If players in pvp will almost always have a vehicle, I would expect some kind of hide vehicle feature would also be VERY helpful - again without it being a quicker route to terrain alteration.

I guess the main reason for thinking about logout/afk mechanics is the rather large inconvenience and penalty associated with death! On the other hand, a dig-in feature should not be misusable by running around a corner to escape somebody and then quickly activating dig-in lol. The feature would just need to activate on a 30-second automatic timer or so maybe...

I almost imagine it will end up being a vanishing system.  I imagine having to calculate the position of every single player while they’re logged off would get intensive.

Just vanishing allows the server to know where you are, and store that for when you log back in.  

Is this a problem if the ship you were on moves?  Yep, but that’s why you need to secure yourself before logging off.

I like the idea of your body being persistent, but that just adds unnecessary clutter and computation.

• 4 weeks later...

I voted for cryo/beds, but really I think it needs 2 mechanics, as you need to accomodate for people dcing away from a tube.

So, beds and cryotubes as a "safe" option (avatar disappears, tube switched to show its occupied), and ragdoll or similar otherwise, leaving the avatar in place to whatever fate awaits it.

Obviously, if your tube or bed gets blown up, youre toast, but that shouldbe more difficuly than just taking out a prone avatar.

I'd go for mixed system.

When you log out in the wild, your body turn to cocoon (as mentioned - simplified ragdoll, as system-heavy as stray container).

After certain time cocoon get moved to closest of your beds, cockpits or arkship (inventory intact). Time based on distance: 

time[s] = 60+10*sqrt(distance[m])

So i.e. 1km->376s(6m16s) 10km->1060s 20km->1474s. (numbers jare subject to discussion)

If you logged-out more than 20km from any mentioned spots, your cocoon is permanent.

When body is in bed, can be killed/looted same as cocoon.

Cocoon can be moved manually (i.e. to free cockpit or control seat).

1. Prevents enemy from suddenly spawning behind your back (cocoon is visible and destructible until it travels to bed).

2. Prevents using mechanics for instant teleport home (takes time before it moves).

3. Make sure that well-populated areas are not clogged with bodies (all cocoons will vanish within a day)

4. Prevents combat-logout (cocoon stays for some time to be destroyed and looted)

5. Prevents using logged-out players as safe containers for most valuable items (especially on cargo ships).

6. Doesn't penalise too much for emergency logout (because of kids/work/carpet bombing/connection problems).

Any alternative ideas that cover all those points?

PS. Would be great if beds worked as single-use respawn after death too, so there is something to fill interior of large constructs with. Even better if you can fill them with items (i.e. rifle+ammo+grenades) so players can spawn into battle with pre-set loadout. Such beds (or cryo chambers, or whatever) could be re-filled only using organic mater that is cheap to produce (farming), but close to impossible to transport due to volume. But that's something for separate topic.

I hear from #shadow that NQ have already got in minded a solution about people logging out during a battle or a chasing to prevent get caught.

But now still a too soon to tell, maybe NQ will implement one of idea here.

4 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

If they only could think a bit louder, that would save a lot of forum space.

Until then, I'll keep my "I'd do this that way" spam :D

That is private information lmao, Shadow got it when he chatwith them ( he is Kyrium Founder ) lmao so still tooo soon. ;)

• 1 month later...

I would go for the simplified model that was harder to kill, but not impossible, that was also movable by other players, including to cryopods. I also like the idea of a cryo/bed system where if you log off there, you wake up there with all of your inventory intact. If you log out in an area without facilities, there might be some sort of damage/exhaustion mechanism that you can overcome in-game, like a deterioration of movement rate down to something as extreme as 80% normal.

Are we assuming the avatars have something like transmittable cortical stacks? If you die, you go to a clone. You can move from place to place, via clones, though not with your inventory.

8 hours ago, eklypse0 said:

Are we assuming the avatars have something like transmittable cortical stacks? If you die, you go to a clone. You can move from place to place, via clones, though not with your inventory.

NQ have never mentioned anything that sounds remotely like EVE's "clone-jumping" mechanic. The devblog that deals with resurrection mechanics makes it very clear that death is NOT intended as a "fast travel option".

We cannot predict how DU will change in the first 5-10 years after launch, so clone-jumping may well become a feature at some point in the future, when DU's game world spans 1000+ systems...

eve online introduce a good idea... have a clone and use a new one when you die. but if you buy a not good quality one you lose some skills. so you need to invest a lot in a good clone just in case.

Simply put ,I am against ragdoll logout system becouse is already proven in other games that all kinds of griffers and trolls will mess up whit your body/ragdoll when you are offline even kill the sleeper and stole the stuff/equipment from it!

So the good old vanishing log-out is the best option.

6 hours ago, lysander051 said:

eve online introduce a good idea... have a clone and use a new one when you die. but if you buy a not good quality one you lose some skills. so you need to invest a lot in a good clone just in case.

Skill loss I think in general is a bad thing because that is one of the two ways that you can progress (the other is money)

• 1 year later...

I agree with Astrophil. A cryobed/bed would be a good idea but if one can’t access a bed then a ragdoll would be good. We need to take into consideration things like emergency logouts i.e game crash,wifi crash or neighbourhood blackout. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like stuff disappearing and becoming inaccessible. In EVE, you get orgs creating alternate accounts just to pilot a titan and simply log off and disappear from existence, I think that's kind of OP. Ships for sure should always stay in the world as making them disappear might have organizations building and hoarding a mass arsenal of ships which just might end up being ridiculous. Either ships will have offline defenses or the crew should dock at a station or planet where it may be more secure.

Ragdoll/Sleeper Body is what I prefer but I think a supplemental system that uses cryopods (or lockers) with added benefits makes sense.

Perhaps a system where if you log off in a ship (anywhere on it), you'll automatically be inserted in the cryopod and you're inventory is in the pod. Having and building dozens of pods in a big ship might be annoying so maybe if the players just builds a locker room and then when players log off anywhere from the ship their inventories simply goes automatically inside it. Logging back in will insert you in the same spot on the ship and automatically empty the locker into your inventory again. I think this keeps it simple and preserves a nice QoL while still preserving physical items in the universe. If we have to physically go inside the pod before we log off then I wouldn't mind that either but I feel like it could get old fast.

Now what happens if someone logs off on a planet in the middle of nowhere? Perhaps in this case we should have a ragdoll/body or perhaps to make it easy on the server a small box spawns on your logoff location with your stuff remaining in the world. I liked the cacoon idea someone had. Perhaps with negative effects to skills and whatnot.

Those are my ideas. For all we know there's a chance that a person's inventory can't possibly hold much value (unlike games like Rust and Ark where an avatar can hold a fortune) so maybe having the avatar fade away won't be that game changing, but IMO physical ships need to stay.

7 minutes ago, gorkounov said:

Those are my ideas. For all we know there's a chance that a person's inventory can't possibly hold much value (unlike games like Rust and Ark where an avatar can hold a fortune) so maybe having the avatar fade away won't be that game changing, but IMO physical ships need to stay.

constructs won't disappear and will always stay in-game, only character avatar will vanish when players logoff.

Well things can change but i like the cryo tube log off thing. but no need for more than 1 per structure. might end up with people who log off and never return to the game taking up much needed space.

If they insisted on more than 1 per structure or a xx members per cryotube, then give the owner of the structure the ability to use a drop menu command to evict memberxxx. and have the menu show 'lastlogin' time stamps only for the owner. (kind of like Life is feudal did with its housing)

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!
My 5 cents:

Logout:
*) Anywhere

*) Ragdoll stays in stasis for N minutes (10? 20?)

*) If killed - player drop items

*) After timer - dispawn with items (if not killed)

Login:

*) Spawn on available spawn point that is closes to log out position (Cryo/Bed/any_other_available_spawn_point)

Dispawn timer needed to avoid exploits in combat

Login in special spawn point for the same purpose - avoid exploits in combat.

Continuous fights will require to protect spawn points.

Spawn points restrictions&mechanic will require some specifics to balance usability in common gameplay and combat situations.

• 3 months later...

Just voicing my opinion in this thread for the sake of sharing with NQ on this topic.

I agree with others concerning persistence of the world should also mean persistence of the people. I actually don't think live avatars should disappear at all. People taking space in the world is a physical motivation to build safe spaces and provide restricted access to areas. I'd want any toon not online to be asleep with their inventory accessible to everyone; doing so means you inherit risk when you don't log out in a secured location place. The exception to avatars existing in the world would be for "high security" areas like the ark ship; there the players could disappear immediately in complete safety (barring any combat timer).

For those concerned with bodies littering the land, slaying the asleep person would relegate them to the heavens, troubling your frame rate no more. An alternate option to requiring death for entrance to the heavens would be, as some have stated, to have a "cryo-chamber" to logout in. I'd be fine with a chamber that shows the last player in the chamber and makes it inaccessible to entrance for 5 minutes, after which time the player toon vanishes allowing another to enter the chamber. Having multiple cryo-chambers is thus incentivized by the the speed of logout, but does not prevent a group using only one in their building. Any player capable of reaching the cryo-chamber should be able to see who is in the chamber and have access to all embodied toon's inventories (no magical permissions, if you're in range to activate the cryo-chamber, you can loot it).

Taking this sentiment to death, if killed, instead of a toon being asleep, their inventory would drop in the form of a container. The items in these containers should begin randomly despawning after a grace period until the container is empty (this is to prevent using death containers as storage). Empty containers would despawn immediately, and you'd not be able to put anything in a death container, only remove. Regarding destruction of a cryo-chamber, it too would generate a container if any toon inside had items. It is important that these "death containers" be bound to any dynamic construct they are in such that the weight of them is not ignored. I'd gladly murder my teammates in order to get a ship into space with their inventories for free. This also means dying on a ship in space makes the container follow the ship. Outside of a constructs influence, I'd like the containers to maintain some velocity and react to gravity until the influence of a construct interceded, but I can understand if that is too much effort on the server; thus having space-born death containers hold position in the world should be OK.

Respawning would be allowed at any spawn point that is not under cool-down, and the cool down time for any given spawn point should increase after each use. Additionally, as I think others mentioned, there should be a spawn delay based on distance to the spawn point. That is, something like 5 seconds per SU of distance traveled. The reality is that any spawning mechanic is going to provide "fast travel" capabilities. People will kill each-other and themselves for the sake of travel. The disincentive for that is that you never carry your inventory through death, and regardless of a spawn point's cool-down state, you have to wait to spawn when doing so over distance. There will still be a benefit to death-traveling long distances, but it simply won't be free and people can work with that. In order to make respawn waits not entirely boring, we could allow the player to perhaps "follow a friend" through their eyes while dead (first person perspective only).

As far as default spawn points, the ark ship should always be available but still require the spawn distance time cost. I'd possibly include some player agnostic spawn points on sanctuary moons, but perhaps those would continue to have cool-down timers per player. I mention the sanctuary moons because I fear having the ark ship as the only always-available spawn point puts too much emphasis on Alioth as a home planet and would discourage more emergent activity in the outer planets.

Good points @willolake

not much to add, i would like to add that i think that logging from a cockpit or chair or bank or anyform of seated position should also keep you alive for the time the lifesupportsystems (if we get any) are working.

This to give more room to people for logging. If i want to visit a friends place but i dont have the possibility to use a cryo there i should be able to stay alive.

@Aaron Cain That would fall under not being in a cryo-chamber or safe zone and thus means your avatar would stay in the chair/cockpit until you log back in or it is murdered. I'd say you also block the use of the chair/cockpit while doing so.

This to give more room to people for logging.

I was attempting to imply you can logout anywhere. So under my statements, you have plenty of room to log out. If you're implying some "safety" aspect to the chair/cockpit, I'd say the cockpit would have HP like the cryo-chamber, but a chair should have been protected by the voxels/elements surrounding it.

Thanks for mentioning those, as I'd not called them out specifically.