Weaponsmithing Questions

Anaximander

Either energy or ballistic, could we be able to build weapons as we want them to be? Will there be a smaller version of voxels, smaller than 25cm for us to build weapons out of, or will they be pre-made meshes? I mean, I know it's asking for the house and the kitchen sink, but still, can't help but wonder.

I think that they are going to give us pre-made weapons to put on our ships, just like the cockpits and engines etc.

But it would be really interesting if we are able to develop our own weapons, It opens up a new kind of market in the game and it would also make combat a lot more interesting.  

This is something that's been partially discussed in a topic I created a while ago. I'm not certain of anything but I can say that at the moment we're getting pre-made weapons. However, the development of our own weapons is something I see being added as it makes sense. Every faction using the same weapons even though they may be star systems away, doesn't. While technology can travel, it's not fun to use the same equipment your enemy faction is also using.

@Dominar

This is why there's the voxel-building element. Different people make different weapons and ships and gear. 

From what I've heard, you get pre-made weapons and gear, no? 

@Dominar 

It's quiet possible you may see color variations, but I can't see outfitting gear not having similarities to one another. Each one different gearset means more time for the server to load such information, this is why games like Planetside 2 have pretty much the same weapon variations, minus color changes and sound effects, so it's less taxing on the server and the player's ram.

I would love a weapon creation system, but i dont want it to be blocky so if they make one and they use voxel i hope there is slope blocks

I would love a weapon creation system, but i dont want it to be blocky so if they make one and they use voxel i hope there is slope blocks

In the devblog about voxel tools and elements (Link here) they talk about the "smoothing tool".  Such a tool would allow you to make the slopes you want.

Maybe you would upgrade weapons though some sort of discoveries system, were you find new resources on a planet/asteroid/literallyanywhereitsspace it could generate science goals for your research team, and since their is procedural generation the new tech could do anything from change color, adjust damage types or modify any stat.  I wonder if implemented, it would necessitate more roles on exploration runs, some sort of research analyst to assess viability.  
  As for your unicorn laser hearing the neigh yourself is quite boring, so you would need to upgrade your laser to an audio transmitter as well, and make the entire hull of their ship the speaker (although thats probably not how the laser should work).  

Having pre-made meshes for weapons and other small bits doesn't necessarily preclude a system to build and/or modify your own equipment. You could have a system of putting the different pre-made parts together in different configurations, granting different stats and looks, while still using voxels for the overall ship.

Pretty much the same as my thinking.

Creating the basic shape using voxels then smoothing it over. Adding pieces like the barrel, etc, would hopefully allow for weapon creation. However it would indeed cost more on the server so perhaps we'll have to pass on this one. Unfortunately.

There's a wiki post on weapons, stating that weapons will be pre-built assets for now.  The wording is a bit weird, "Both individual weapons and deployable weapons..".  Could be that they meant it as an all encompassing statement, because that is the only related article on the wiki, and it was in response to a character weapons thread.  Personally I think mean ship/station weapons as well.   

• 2 weeks later...

I loved how starmade did weapons. They made it so each weapon type had a block, then they also had effect blocks. So lets say you combined a missile (main), laser (secondary), and shield drain blocks in a 1:1:1 ratio. You'd create swarm missiles that drain shields. But if you combined missile blocks with pulse blocks, you made a super strong missile that drained tons of power to fire.

To summarize, I like how starmade allowed you to create your own style of weapon through the combination of blocks and also allowed you to determine its strength by how many blocks were in it.

1: We won't be able to use voxelmancy to create our own weapons and gear.

2: Weapons and gear will basically be elements provided to us by the devs.

3: That doesn't mean that everyone throughout the universe will be using the exact same weapons or wearing the exact same gear. The devs have mentioned discovering alien ruins - which means it's likely we will be discovering a variety of alien technology and designs that can be used to augment weapons and gear.