Weaponsmithing Questions

Anaximander

1: We won't be able to use voxelmancy to create our own weapons and gear.

2: Weapons and gear will basically be elements provided to us by the devs.

3: That doesn't mean that everyone throughout the universe will be using the exact same weapons or wearing the exact same gear. The devs have mentioned discovering alien ruins - which means it's likely we will be discovering a variety of alien technology and designs that can be used to augment weapons and gear.

Your answer is welcome, though the devs released a devblog a few days later after this post that pointed to all these.

I remember hearing (i think it was in the interview with xpgamers) that it would be possible to implement it into the game you would just have to use a kinda 3D printer to create such things. and I want to say it is something they are hoping to add but not anytime soon. Then again I could just be talking out my ass.  :P Either way i hope you can one day.

I remember hearing (i think it was in the interview with xpgamers) that it would be possible to implement it into the game you would just have to use a kinda 3D printer to create such things. and I want to say it is something they are hoping to add but not anytime soon. Then again I could just be talking out my ass.  :P Either way i hope you can one day.

JC meant that the 3D printer would "print" weapons in game, so they would make the process more realistic, not to implement 3rd Party meshes. You know, because that would crack the servers. :P

Even though weapons systems will be pre-fab elements in the game (and that makes sense), I'm sure people will figure out how to create them using the design tool.  Any remote controlled "probe" can be used as a missile if you point it toward a ship and crash into it at high speed.  

Also I would love to see someone build a catapult or trebuchet...  that would be hilarious!

Even though weapons systems will be pre-fab elements in the game (and that makes sense), I'm sure people will figure out how to create them using the design tool.  Any remote controlled "probe" can be used as a missile if you point it toward a ship and crash into it at high speed.  

Also I would love to see someone build a catapult or trebuchet...  that would be hilarious!

Sure thing, adding a pre-made mesh and adding voxels around it rigged to turn accordingly is fair game on any designer's part.  mean, what's the point of having a sword without a cross-guard (or whatever guard asian swords utilise, sword-smithing is a complicated art :P ) ?

You could hurt yourself if your turret battery was to be blown to pieces on one firing run with an enemy.

JC meant that the 3D printer would "print" weapons in game, so they would make the process more realistic, not to implement 3rd Party meshes. You know, because that would crack the servers. :P

Maybe not 3rd party meshes (cuz yes this would break the game) but maybe some sort of creation tool might be nice. but not until the game is released and stable.

Maybe not 3rd party meshes (cuz yes this would break the game) but maybe some sort of creation tool might be nice. but not until the game is released and stable.

I am supporting your idea, but on a different ground. Cash Shop cosmetic skin or mesh for the game. Wouldn't that be sweet? Both supporting the game and the devs while making the customisation optional and not a Pay-2-Win. I mean, wouldn't you want to have a battery of plasma beams ranging to the colors of the rainbow? :P

I am supporting your idea, but on a different ground. Cash Shop cosmetic skin or mesh for the game. Wouldn't that be sweet? Both supporting the game and the devs while making the customisation optional and not a Pay-2-Win. I mean, wouldn't you want to have a battery of plasma beams ranging to the colors of the rainbow? :P

Oh yeah or as you love so much unicorn farts  :P. but what I would like to see is fully custom weapons maybe have a system that you can assemble and disassemble weapons from different parts to make an all new weapon.

Oh yeah or as you love so much unicorn farts  :P. but what I would like to see is fully custom weapons maybe have a system that you can assemble and disassemble weapons from different parts to make an all new weapon.

That could work, as long meshes are pre-defined. Perhaps add a stronger power-relay on a laser, scrambled out of a railgun. Could work, it's not out of the possibilities of the game engine and it wouldn't be a burden either, as the pre-defined meshes won't change, only their organisation as a part.

That could work, as long meshes are pre-defined. Perhaps add a stronger power-relay on a laser, scrambled out of a railgun. Could work, it's not out of the possibilities of the game engine and it wouldn't be a burden either, as the pre-defined meshes won't change, only their organisation as a part.

Maybe need a gunsmithing skill to get parts from different weapons to work together properly. Could you imagine having a dual barrel plasma shotgun lol. That shot rainbows!

Maybe need a gunsmithing skill to get parts from different weapons to work together properly. Could you imagine having a dual barrel plasma shotgun lol. That shot rainbows!

That would be sweet. Getting a chain-gun, remove the revolving mechanism adding railguns as barrels, then tuning the firing mechanism so the RPM matches the cooldown cycle of the rails and voila, you got yourself a murder-machine the galaxy has not yet experienced. Strap it on a mecha and unleash it with an autopilot script onto the masses.

That would be sweet. Getting a chain-gun, remove the revolving mechanism adding railguns as barrels, then tuning the firing mechanism so the RPM matches the cooldown cycle of the rails and voila, you got yourself a murder-machine the galaxy has not yet experienced. Strap it on a mecha and unleash it with an autopilot script onto the masses.

In deed it would be. Would love to see that kind of customization! Not sure how difficult it would be to add into the game though, and definitely much further in development.

In deed it would be. Would love to see that kind of customization! Not sure how difficult it would be to add into the game though, and definitely much further in development.

In my opinion, let them see if the PHP or whatever they have stringing the server together can hold it stable, then see on more elegant features :P

Perhaps we should gather all of the information suggested here into a place the devs can more clearly see :) I see this idea being more likely to be placed into the game if a lot of people want it. 

If you take a look at SE Planets, planets were never originally going to make it into the game. Only reason it did, was because the players wanted it.

"Another interesting weapon would be to get the propellers used for locomotion and scale them down. Fix a barrel to the side closest to the direction of rotation and script it so that it moves a certain distance to the left or right and back to the original starting point at a specified speed. Then, loop the function. Script the barrel so that the rpm matches the rate of firing of blades out of the barrel. Create another function that counts the seconds for which the propellers are actively turning. When the timer reaches a specified value (you can use the for loop for this), the propeller deactivates, starting another for loop timer that acts as the cool-down timer. Fix a circular frame of your liking to the propellers if there isn't one already and set the propulsion boolean to false.

There you go, your very own blade thrower. (Patent pending, case 002398 by the Aether.)

"

"Another interesting weapon would be to get the propellers used for locomotion and scale them down. Fix a barrel to the side closest to the direction of rotation and script it so that it moves a certain distance to the left or right and back to the original starting point at a specified speed. Then, loop the function. Script the barrel so that the rpm matches the rate of firing of blades out of the barrel. Create another function that counts the seconds for which the propellers are actively turning. When the timer reaches a specified value (you can use the for loop for this), the propeller deactivates, starting another for loop timer that acts as the cool-down timer. Fix a circular frame of your liking to the propellers if there isn't one already and set the propulsion boolean to false.

There you go, your very own blade thrower. (Patent pending, case 002398 by the Aether.)

"

While the idea is not quite possible given the nature of the meshes, one could assort a series of Elements to coordinate to create a sickest weapon firing animation in the game :P

Perhaps, if they add mines in the game that are not incorporeal entities and actual Elements in the world, you could make a machine that spawns them and ejects them towards the heathens of the universe, with a propeller at the front to hide its true nature. Like a baseball auto-pitcher, only more Michael Bay.

you could make a machine that spawns them and ejects them towards the heathens of the universe, with a propeller at the front to hide its true nature. Like a baseball auto-pitcher, only more Michael Bay.

"That's essentially all I said in a shorter version. The propeller is cosmetic, it's the barrel that does the work. I don't know if tweaking the visibility will be possible, but just imagine all the things that could possibly be done?"

I want there to be hand held guns. Becouse I want to walk into the middle of a city and start a mass shooting and be like "allu Akbar!!!"

"Careful..."

• 3 weeks later...

The devs have said that combat will be more tactical than responsive, so being able to customize weaponry and ammo would definitely be interesting as it would make the tactical component less predictable. If we have a static, finite pool of weaponry and ammo and defenses, warfare might become predictable and fall down to numbers and economics though tactical can definitely make a major difference, but a dirty missile with a secondary explosionary devise that explodes after armor penetration could definitely have a major influence.