Form Voltron?

Hisshadow

I would love to see something like Voltron or some of the old Japanese combiners like Voltes, Combattler V, Dancouga, or even Devestator. It might be some time before stuff like this can be made, as Dual needs to get the foundational systems of the game in place, but it would be super cool! :D Especially if there were gnarly effects and sounds when the units come together with a solid clunk and che chee sound coupled with a powerup flash :D

This post made me think of Independence Day (the "better" movie) when the alien mothership starts detaching smaller saucers off its belly. Could be cool to one day, after building your shrine to your Lord and Savior, the 12 Gage Pump-Action Shotgun, that you see a giant dinner plate in the sky and then you see smaller plates leaving its belly.

This post made me think of Independence Day (the "better" movie) when the alien mothership starts detaching smaller saucers off its belly. Could be cool to one day, after building your shrine to your Lord and Savior, the 12 Gage Pump-Action Shotgun, that you see a giant dinner plate in the sky and then you see smaller plates leaving its belly.

Damn you and your SPOILERS!!

On a serious note, big ass mecha-suits are a possibility. Ungine does support moving parts. Such as rotors, springs, hinges, etc. Theoretically, it is possible. How will it perform? Hopefully, better than that in Space Engineers.

• 1 month later...

I'm down for this. The problem with making Voltron is that it will require a GOO-GOBBLE of resources which will reward just a few people who get to pilot it? Perhaps a better model would be Vehicle Voltron, or more feasibly, a Bipedal Capital Ship that involves a number of characters. After all, I think the FTL drives and energy sources require maintenance during conflict, which means that making a bipedal mech will reduce Voltron to a glorified fighter, a frigate at best, not a world class powerhouse, since it has nothing to generate that kind of power. 

Clever engineering might allow someone to make a 5-person ship with the same offensive capabilities as a large capital ship, and then further to implement that as bipedal mech, and then further to implement that as five separate fully operational fighters that can link together and function as a whole. I am, in short, a huge, huge fan of this idea, and would be fully invested in making it come together, but even then, you have to ask, what kind of organization or economy would support it? Perhaps have a city, perhaps purported as a safe haven for newbies that has Voltron as a planetary defender. Of course, then it's not so much Voltron as Power Rangers, which, imho, is also awesome, sue me.

Honestly though, I'd love to see something like this. Because really, as soon as you see someone's Capital ship unfold into a giant mech, you'd flip all the way the F out, because geez... what?

Alternately you could create a mech Industry, selling blueprints, but then you'd need to create a market for mechs, which means something that ships cannot do. Land Warfare is great, but also perhaps consider Mech Arenas, where people bring their best bots and fight to the finish in a Colosseum. That kind of thing could also work as a great economy base for a Voltron. Having a giant badarse mech be that organization's defense kinda adds to the spectacle and popularity.

Let's do it!

I'm down for this. The problem with making Voltron is that it will require a GOO-GOBBLE of resources which will reward just a few people who get to pilot it? Perhaps a better model would be Vehicle Voltron, or more feasibly, a Bipedal Capital Ship that involves a number of characters. After all, I think the FTL drives and energy sources require maintenance during conflict, which means that making a bipedal mech will reduce Voltron to a glorified fighter, a frigate at best, not a world class powerhouse, since it has nothing to generate that kind of power. 

Clever engineering might allow someone to make a 5-person ship with the same offensive capabilities as a large capital ship, and then further to implement that as bipedal mech, and then further to implement that as five separate fully operational fighters that can link together and function as a whole. I am, in short, a huge, huge fan of this idea, and would be fully invested in making it come together, but even then, you have to ask, what kind of organization or economy would support it? Perhaps have a city, perhaps purported as a safe haven for newbies that has Voltron as a planetary defender. Of course, then it's not so much Voltron as Power Rangers, which, imho, is also awesome, sue me.

Honestly though, I'd love to see something like this. Because really, as soon as you see someone's Capital ship unfold into a giant mech, you'd flip all the way the F out, because geez... what?

Alternately you could create a mech Industry, selling blueprints, but then you'd need to create a market for mechs, which means something that ships cannot do. Land Warfare is great, but also perhaps consider Mech Arenas, where people bring their best bots and fight to the finish in a Colosseum. That kind of thing could also work as a great economy base for a Voltron. Having a giant badarse mech be that organization's defense kinda adds to the spectacle and popularity.

Let's do it!

Yes, let's do it together.

• 1 month later...

So, after learning more about the game, it looks like mechs will be incredibly difficult to make happen. I say... do it anyway. It will require a few very specific Elements as the voxel system doesn't look like it can do joints, so Elements would need to be created for shoulders, necks, waists, knees, ankles, elbows and wrists, all taking into account the physics that can come from various sizes of legs and such. That's a lot to ask, so not really seeing mechs happening at launch, though it'd be nice.

Further, the question of super structures, where multiple structures can 'form up' into one, even if they aren't meches, if they're just ships or soemthing similar. It'd be interesting to see how 'saucer separation' might work in Dual Universe.