Price model, SAY NO TO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION!

Reverant_Spark

@Dominar 

People played WoW because it was revolutionary for its time. You could press space... and you jumped. That's why people are willing to pay for a game. If it's good, its worth its subscription. If it doesn't, then people will not put up with it. I wasn't going to play WoW back when I was your age, but then I saw my friend playing his Hunter in Vanilla wow and pvping. You don't know the meaning of "Pro MLG, 360 halo jump no scope" until you realise how Hunters pvp'd in WoW those days. My point being, the product sells itself, marketing simply puts it out there. And with the attitude the devs have on shutting critics mouths with video evidence, I think that people will pour in to see the game and stick around after some cray ass Star Wars fanboy build a Derp Star. (Hopefully no exhaustion port).

And adjusting for inflation, in comparison to when it came out, them 15 USD WoW charges is far less in today's standards. Just sayin'.

@Wardion2000

Unless it's a discussion on the merit of PK, I never troll.

And the devil in our case, is not the P2P model, but F2P. 

............. :unsure:  First, If you include an "Unless" how is that never?   And second I'm not sure you're getting the "Devil's Advocate" term.  Unless you were being facetious in both statements.  Hard to tell, I don't really know you. :unsure:

@Dominar 

People played WoW because it was revolutionary for its time. You could press space... and you jumped. That's why people are willing to pay for a game. If it's good, its worth its subscription. If it doesn't, then people will not put up with it. I wasn't going to play WoW back when I was your age, but then I saw my friend playing his Hunter in Vanilla wow and pvping. You don't know the meaning of "Pro MLG, 360 halo jump no scope" until you realise how Hunters pvp'd in WoW those days. My point being, the product sells itself, marketing simply puts it out there. And with the attitude the devs have on shutting critics mouths with video evidence, I think that people will pour in to see the game and stick around after some cray ass Star Wars fanboy build a Derp Star. (Hopefully no exhaustion port).

And adjusting for inflation, in comparison to when it came out, them 15 USD WoW charges is far less in today's standards. Just sayin'.

You're correct in every point your made. Which is pretty much what I was saying. WoW is a very successful game that charges $15 a month. Dual Universe has the potential to be the next best thing. In my opinion, the game's monthly fee shouldn't exceed $10. At least for now.

You're correct in every point your made. Which is pretty much what I was saying. WoW is a very successful game that charges $15 a month. Dual Universe has the potential to be the next best thing. In my opinion, the game's monthly fee shouldn't exceed $10. At least for now.

If they do exceed $10 a month I think you should sic dingos on them.  Either that or wallabies, I hear the wallabies are both vicious AND cute. :P

you're to optimistic, WoW is targeted at a far larger audience than DU, so DU will never have that many players, that aside i agree to the 10$/month subscription, because its mostly for service, servers, mainntenance and maybe some little tool updates and ingame events. They wont have as big content updates as traditional MMOs have.

@Dominar

I suggested a grade system, ranging from 5 USD a month for a plain package to a 15 USD with extras thrown in, like cosmetic items or super rare unicorn color patterns or something. Thing is , 10 USD sub is cool for maintaining a server for such a game a DU is projected to be. But 15 USD would be dandy for maintaining the server and provide more resources for server tuning. And let's be honest, it took private servers in WoW over 10 years to finally make a server that works fine. Can you imagine some poor bastard trying to set up a D.U. private server? Holy shit, that would be a savage nightmare of codeing to pull off. So, as I see it, the devs can't be extorted by private servers.

And a sidenote, WoW is 15 USD per month, but if you buy an annual package you save like... 2 months I think, perhaps more. Bottomline is, you buy sub in quantity, you save more money. 

@vylqun

Have you noticed how many people shifted to sandbox space fantasy games as of late? Why do you think Star Citizen is the most crowdfunded game so far? And WoW lost its demographic by a lot, because people got tired of the fantasy genre. People are tired of the "Theme Park" MMO (like WoW) and want Sandbox games (Minecraft, Space Engineers to an extend and now Dual Universe). Plus, let's be real here, EVE Online players will definitely jump over if the gameplay here surrounding the economics is good. Especially if we can create our own marketplaces/auction hosues/stock exchange. There's more demand out there for a space sandbox MMO than you think.

@vylqun

Have you noticed how many people shifted to sandbox space fantasy games as of late? Why do you think Star Citizen is the most crowdfunded game so far? And WoW lost its demographic by a lot, because people got tired of the fantasy genre. People are tired of the "Theme Park" MMO (like WoW) and want Sandbox games (Minecraft, Space Engineers to an extend and now Dual Universe). Plus, let's be real here, EVE Online players will definitely jump over if the gameplay here surrounding the economics is good. Especially if we can create our own marketplaces/auction hosues/stock exchange. There's more demand out there for a space sandbox MMO than you think.

i'll be happy if i see this, but so far the fantasy genre is far more populated than science fiction.

i'll be happy if i see this, but so far the fantasy genre is far more populated than science fiction.

exactly... there's a hole in the market ripe for a good scifi game to fill.

Free to play... gets population... But so far the free to play games I've played haven't kept me.

But they have to have micro transactions to support themselves...  And there's a fine line to walk with that.  Predatory micro transactions like so many mobile game use actually make the money needed to support a game...  Selling strictly cosmetic changes get's your players to like you but doesn't produce nearly as high a cash flow. 

Subscription.  15 seems to be the standard.   First MMO I played with a subscription was 11... Personally I think there should be a variety of pay levels.  from 5 to 15.  15 for a full month... and then the reduced amounts that amount to different quantities of in game play time.

Also the EvE Style real money for play token which can be sold for in game currency seems to be working pretty well for EvE.  I don't know what effects that has on the in game economy though. 

So If I can only play for an average of 1 weeks worth of in game time per month... I'd like to only pay for that amount rather than the full month.  I'd like to use in game currency to buy game time from other players. 

But if there is a subscription system... I don't want any micro transaction like store.  Everything that would be in such a store should be obtainable in game... with a subscription model. 

@Dominar

I suggested a grade system, ranging from 5 USD a month for a plain package to a 15 USD with extras thrown in, like cosmetic items or super rare unicorn color patterns or something. Thing is , 10 USD sub is cool for maintaining a server for such a game a DU is projected to be. But 15 USD would be dandy for maintaining the server and provide more resources for server tuning. And let's be honest, it took private servers in WoW over 10 years to finally make a server that works fine. Can you imagine some poor bastard trying to set up a D.U. private server? Holy shit, that would be a savage nightmare of codeing to pull off. So, as I see it, the devs can't be extorted by private servers.

And a sidenote, WoW is 15 USD per month, but if you buy an annual package you save like... 2 months I think, perhaps more. Bottomline is, you buy sub in quantity, you save more money. 

10 a month i think would be a comfortable number. although 15 for that fancy super rare unicorn color pattern sounds pretty sick lol. I also agree that buying in buld should make it a bit cheaper

You know, this is only the 2nd most silliest common conversation I've seen in monthly sub games, and I keep waiting for that next step, so to rip off the band aid, can someone please make a demand that it should be priced the exact amount of 10 no matter if it's USD/EUR/CAD/RUB and presumably the Vietnamese Dong?

• 4 weeks later...

If they make this game monthly sub game, I will not buy this game.

This is a prinsciple, I dont like the feeling of it.

Read this first before you make any decisions.  

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/04/08/monetization-player-happiness-and-economic-viability/

They have really thought this through.

Read the whole Dev blog too. :D

Read this first before you make any decisions.  

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/04/08/monetization-player-happiness-and-economic-viability/

They have really thought this through.

Read the whole Dev blog too. :D

Let these folk go and play their Free-to-Pay2Win games. Don't bother with them.

Let these folk go and play their Free-to-Pay2Win games. Don't bother with them.

Hey maybe he just misunderstood the plan.

He said "If they make this game monthly sub game, i will not buy this game."

And he won't have to.  He'll just have to download the trial, and then decide whether or not to sub.   B)

Hey maybe he just misunderstood the plan.

He said "If they make this game monthly sub game, i will not buy this game."

And he won't have to.  He'll just have to download the trial, and then decide whether or not to sub.   B)

He would still have to buy the game :V The devs want the sub to make the game last years, they want the buy-in to deter trolls.