Price model, SAY NO TO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION!

Reverant_Spark

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think this game will have enough players if there is a monthly subscription. It will kill the game. Cosmetic only shop is the way to go. Anything else comes off as greedy and turns away player base. Guild Wars 2 is still going with just cosmetics.

I agree, I do not want to pay monthly, and limiting what free people get is silly, it should either be free or not. I personally don't care if it's £40/$50 as If its a one time payment, then I'm fine with it, I also hope not to see paid packages or any influence on Pay To Win.  Lets face it, very few games go with a monthly pay system and there is a very good reason.

No one wants to pay monthly for a game.

I agree, I do not want to pay monthly, and limiting what free people get is silly, it should either be free or not. I personally don't care if it's £40/$50 as If its a one time payment, then I'm fine with it, I also hope not to see paid packages or any influence on Pay To Win.  Lets face it, very few games go with a monthly pay system and there is a very good reason.

No one wants to pay monthly for a game.

It isn't about what YOU want, it isn't about what I want. its about what is needed to pay for upkeep. atm this game is funded solely out the JC's own pockets and a few investors. with the kickstarter now going that is changing to us helping pay for it. they give generous amounts of DACs for backing imo. the game isn't like WoW that charges you 60 dollars ever year on top of a $15usd sub. this game is free to download. free to try, if you like it you can either gain enough ingame cash to buy a DAC or pay the 10-13 usd/euro. as far as sub games go, this game is really cheap. If you don't want to pay because YOU don't think its worth it or cause you feel entitled, that's fine, but I kindly ask you to leave as its already been decided. no amount of complaining will change that.

edit: don't want to pay the sub? pay 400 to the kickstarter, get lifetime sub (thats paying 2 years of sub upfront plus you get lots of physical goodies that are probably worth atleast 150-200 usd)

I think it would be best for the community if this thread was ended. 

I would also add decisions like this are best left up to the developers, and not the community, as negative impressions can really harm the development team.

Even if it was closed 2 more would spring up. Just let them complain and ignore it. It is the best way to handle this type of thread.

Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Aion, Tera.  Though the player base for Lineage 2 and Aion are almost entirely in Asia now.

Forgot ESO.

He said "good" :ph34r:

Seriously though, nobody can deny the advantages of a P2P. And unless I'm mistaken, pretty much every one of the above games runs off cash shop crap.

Plus everyone supporting this game already "said yes to monthly subscription".....

He said "good" :ph34r:

Seriously though, nobody can deny the advantages of a P2P. And unless I'm mistaken, pretty much every one of the above games runs off cash shop crap.

Plus everyone supporting this game already "said yes to monthly subscription".....

Coming a little late to this particular line of debate.  

• As for "good" you say that as if you don't agree.  That's fine.  There are enough people that disagree with you to keep those games up, running, and successful.  
  • Making their money off "cash shop crap" is irrelevant.  The debate was for any good MMO's that existed with OnePercent's particular.....  Criteria.
  • I too support a monthly subscription.  My post was made because OnePercent made a deliberately biased and one-sided statement.  As if those who's opinions supported P2P were irrelevant.

I disagree and prefer a subscription based model.

My best MMO experiences were subscription based. Ultima Online. Star Wars Galaxies. Honestly, it's all gone downhill once F2P and B2P became a thing.

You want MMO and persistence on this scale? You're going to pay for it. And no, $60 one time isn't enough to support the game being active for 5+ years. 

It blows my mind how people think they should be able to play something like this without paying a monthly subscription. Some people have no sense when it comes to financing operations. 

God, I think this thread gave me cancer. How entitled do you have to be to expect to play for free.

Not just entitled, that's everyday bananas, but, then to also consider the P2P model, which brings in less money at a more stable rate to be the "greedy" option, as though playing 5-10 per month for absolutely everything over paying 5-10 per meaningful purchase is a bad deal. And then, for the trifecta, not realizing that F2P turns the game into something that is all about getting more money, putting all the fun behind paywalls and constantly reminding people why they need to pay much more than 5-10 per month. 

It's a crazy world we live in.

Monthly is the only way I'll play this game. The DAC system is one I can get behind for this sort of game, and that's because they clearly see the shortcoming of the other game that actively employs this type of system.

Pay to Play keeps hooligans and griefers to a minimum. In a game about resource collecting and building, having an in game shop floods the market with materials and goods, which floods the economy and disincentivises players who are actually collecting whatever you're paying real money for. Flooding the economy with currency from DAC isn't ideal either but as someone with more money than free time, I appreciate what it does for people in my position.

Give me a break, f2p. :/

Months ago there was this game releasing that I wanted to play and it just so happened to be f2p. Ok no worries, I am willing to go with the times I said to myself.

4 months after release I had spend 250 euro on the game. Perhaps I lacked some impuls controle there but thats not the point.

I could go on and on about explaining why f2p is a very shortsighted businessmodel. But thats beyond what I wanted to share with my post.

On a closing note, if any of those f2p or b2p games are so good why are you not overthere playing them?

Developers blaming the "failure" of their game on the business model being p2p is just an excuse.

If a game is actually worth playing people will gladly pay for the experience.

Rev, it's simple. If you don't want to P2P then go find a F2P game. You act like they don't have yup make a living, pay their employees, pay themselves or maintain servers. It's idiotic to think their hard work, time and the expensive equipment doesn't cost anything. You're being highly selfish and inconsiderate to expect the developers to have be 100% out of pocket just so you can play a game for free. Then again I'm positive you aren't even a backer of DU... Smfh

Rev, it's simple. If you don't want to P2P then go find a F2P game. You act like they don't have yup make a living, pay their employees, pay themselves or maintain servers. It's idiotic to think their hard work, time and the expensive equipment doesn't cost anything. You're being highly selfish and inconsiderate to expect the developers to have be 100% out of pocket just so you can play a game for free. Then again I'm positive you aren't even a backer of DU... Smfh

Just remember, this thread was started last June. We can safely let it die and never reply to it again.