Price model, SAY NO TO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION!

Reverant_Spark

Hey maybe he just misunderstood the plan.

He said "If they make this game monthly sub game, i will not buy this game."

And he won't have to.  He'll just have to download the trial, and then decide whether or not to sub.   B)

He would still have to buy the game :V The devs want the sub to make the game last years, they want the buy-in to deter trolls.

well we dont know if there is an upfront price or not. but i doubt the devs are going to make you buy the game just to test it. its probably going to be similar to WoW in that you get the trial by just downloading the client and once your time is up then you will have to purchase the game 

well we dont know if there is an upfront price or not. but i doubt the devs are going to make you buy the game just to test it. its probably going to be similar to WoW in that you get the trial by just downloading the client and once your time is up then you will have to purchase the game 

Well, testing it and playing it, is another thing. WoW had a trial membership, but it blocked you from playing more than a week and beyond level 10. you had to buy the game so you can go further, like how its expansions work. Testing it's okay, as long as it won't allow the testers to leave the initial system. I won't say planet, cause that's a moot point. The game is all about space, but not interstellar space. They'll have to buy that to experience it.

I'm also adamant on the Subscription/PLEX system. It is the best option. It allows people with money IRL to support the game and playerbase via gaining in-game money they cannot farm due to having not much time to spend in-game, while peple with a lot of time and limited money get to play the game via in-game economy they can, somehow, manage to thrive in.

SUB/PLEX, the best type of game imo. You know a sytem is amazing when WoW copies it.

Make it buy to play, with an in-game cash shop with cosmetic and convenience items, like all good MMO's these days do...

Planetside2 has done that at first,

it was not working enough to pay bills to keep the game properly maintained.

The PLEX system is a good one. "Rich" persons will provide the ingame market with enough PLEX for the "poor" to buy via in game currency.

Ain't happy with the pay model, don't but into the game, simple. This thread should if stopped after it hit page 2 when all the arguments were exhausted.

"This thread should if stopped after it hit page 2 when all the arguments were exhausted..."

No, everyone should express their thoughts. And many pages shows the subject is important to many people...

Ain't happy with the pay model, don't but into the game, simple. This thread should if stopped after it hit page 2 when all the arguments were exhausted.

There's another one with 12 pages and going strong. Ah... Freeloader-Threads, always going strong even after page 3 xD

"This thread should if stopped after it hit page 2 when all the arguments were exhausted..."

No, everyone should express their thoughts. And many pages shows the subject is important to many people...

It becomes rather useless if it turns into a back and forth where the same arguments are expressed over and over again, perhaps by the same people, like a "yes - no - yes - no - yes - no - yes - no" etc, however.

Debate is good, but it should not turn into a "circle jerk" or a repeating one as that can exhaust a topic.

Or perhaps that is just me and how I imagine certain debates in a more ideal useful fashion, where others may prefer something different.

Just stop with the whining already, it is what it is now not get over it! and learn to read FFS. There has to be about 10 of these already, all of which get destroyed by the people that want p2p.

all of which get destroyed by the people that want p2p.

Theres a difference between "wanting" and "seeing it work".

None of us want to pay anything.

But theres the small detail that the servers and maintainance and bugfixing and continued development have to be paid with something.

And the p2p people prefer a working and good game over a free one :P

Theres a difference between "wanting" and "seeing it work".

None of us want to pay anything.

But theres the small detail that the servers and maintainance and bugfixing and continued development have to be paid with something.

And the p2p people prefer a working and good game over a free one :P

"Everyone wants everything to be for free, until they start creating things they want others to buy. Ahh...Sweet capitalism is coming to Dual Universe."

What does your statement have to do with mine?

I think he was agreeing with you and extending your statement as well >_>

Cornflakes, I was agreeing with the point you made that no one wants to pay for anything. 

Thank you Captain, for your insight.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rather pay a subscription any day, over worrying about buying into the game and worrying what they are going to have to end up selling to keep the lights on at the studio every month.

A subscription is a much stabler method of income for the devs, they can track the number of active accounts. see how much they can expect to make in a given month and budget effectively.

If they did a buy to play with a cashshop that might give them a nice chunck of change at the launch of the game, but then they are going to have to keep adding more and more and more into the cashshop to keep the lights on.

I'm done with F2P with Cashshops for this very reason, name 1 recent MMO that has managed this well. You can't do it, they all have dwindling populations of mostly whale players who only motivation to continue is the amount they have already invested.

A BtP and Cash-Shop also does not fit the content this game intends to offer in my opinion and I would strongly rule against it.

Instead of having monthly subscription you can make real money with selling virtual properties in very lucrative places (beaches, moutains, mineral rich asteroid)... Also some kind of affiliate program: 

That is not what Dual Universe is about. 

Selling ingame property for real money would completely change the direction of what they are trying to do. 

Try to watch any of the interviews about the game, especially the GrayStillPlays one, and that will be abundantly clear.

Novaquark isn't creating Second Life or OpenSim, and that's arguably not the game that any of us on the forums want to play. 

hear hear i almost dont even want to waste my time now. unless it is like $1 a month.  no game now is worth a monthly charge.  especially a alpha game. 

You can assume that any monthly fees would matter once the game was in mid to late Beta about to be released, or upon release.

You may not like it, but there is a reason MMORPGs usually have some kind of payment system compared to "buy once, play forever" games - it's the servers and of course the staff that costs money. Renting large servers or server networks is expensive. There are bills to pay each month. I consider it reasonable to add a reoccurring fee therefore or some other way of payment model so that they can keep up the service or infrastructure we depend on.