Arkship Vicinity

ATMLVE

Since every single player will start in the same Arkship, which I believe has been said, what might end up surrounding the Arkship eventually? Will it become a sprawling metropolis? I imagine it will be pretty significantly developed. How will what is surrounding the ship affect new players? There certainly won't be any resources available for long.

And if I don't have that right, and there are several Arkships, then the questions go for all of them.

This actually leads me to another question which is, how does the player get started?

The Arkship is starting with a 20km radius safe zone I think. Im not sure how close you will be able to build to it but bigger organisations almost certtainly will end up with their own cities.

1 Arkship for now.

You've already started.

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/09/13/arkship-security-or-where-does-pvp-starts/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/

what if one of the secrets was that half of the game would start in a mirrored galaxy, not to be connected  until the day a star gate was built to connect them, and then 1 day one of the brave explorers discovers the other colony .. and then all that which would in turn follow from it .

Playerbase not big enough. dividing them by 2 is a really bad idea.

Plus it would be annoying if you and your friend would spawn in different dimensions.

But it would make a nice plot for a movie or a series.

i think there will be a large city there, as every organization will want to at least build an embassy in a safe area.  The IBO will probably have its main branch there, etc.  so in two years lets say, its all covered with skyscrapers etc, the new player will be doing the quests we give them there.  

Depending on the wealth of the Organization, they might give them access to a ship as soon as they join. Launching them out of the system to maybe a newly discovered safe zone, to help build there as well.

I consider Dual Universe to be the multiplayer side of the coin of No Man's Sky.

I think No Man's Sky highlights some examples of the initial gameplay we can expect from Dual Universe.

Upon disembarking from the Ark ship, we will want to begin gathering resources and acquiring blueprints to begin building shelters and, eventually, ships.

We can expect to strive to refine the available resources in order to upgrade the shelters and ships. There will also likely be some survival aspects to gameplay - surviving in the environment outside of the 20KM safe zone.

What I'm more curious about with regard to Arkship vicinity is terrain destruction - how will we balance that vs constructing a village or city?

In lieu of the types of buildings that are available in NMS, what types of buildings will we need to construct in DU to amplify communications or scan for resources? Where will we build hangars for ships or landing pads for ships?

How will we plan city layout?

Playerbase not big enough. dividing them by 2 is a really bad idea.

Plus it would be annoying if you and your friend would spawn in different dimensions.

But it would make a nice plot for a movie or a series.

I know, I just thought it would be cool :P

In terms of resource and ground destruction ect .. The Devs have said that they plan to monitor the situation as obviously in say 6 months time after release the starting area looks awful and uninviting .. they may regenerate the area of the safe zone if needed ..

As for the way the planning will be .. i doubt that can really be answered .. It will depend heavily on the influencing powers at that time and how they want to build the area, as well as game mechanics and permissions .. but the community will very likely need to work together and because of that I imagine much will be established their from many organizations! Many plans and ideas are already developing and it will be really interesting to see what turns out. I for one am very excited!

I think it will most likely be one of the first community driven projects to build up the ark ship zone if it is possible. 

The Cinderfall Syndicate have plans to set up a city (Emberstone) basically as soon as possible. People have been throwing around the idea of Alioth being a recruiting planet for the newbies eventually. I imagine organisations will offer people free spaceships and such in exchange for membership.

I consider Dual Universe to be the multiplayer side of the coin of No Man's Sky.

I think No Man's Sky highlights some examples of the initial gameplay we can expect from Dual Universe.

Upon disembarking from the Ark ship, we will want to begin gathering resources and acquiring blueprints to begin building shelters and, eventually, ships.

We can expect to strive to refine the available resources in order to upgrade the shelters and ships. There will also likely be some survival aspects to gameplay - surviving in the environment outside of the 20KM safe zone.

What I'm more curious about with regard to Arkship vicinity is terrain destruction - how will we balance that vs constructing a village or city?

In lieu of the types of buildings that are available in NMS, what types of buildings will we need to construct in DU to amplify communications or scan for resources? Where will we build hangars for ships or landing pads for ships?

How will we plan city layout?

Actually as a reality check - that's a really good point.

What will the terrain around the Ark look like when we emerge. Or, to put it another way...

320px-Barringer_Crater_aerial_photo_by_U

This is the size of the crater left by something hitting the Earth at great velocity or a lot of mass. Something like an Arkship for instance. See that tiny speck in the middle there?

Barringer_Crater_bottom_crop_inset.jpg

That's an entire abandoned mining complex. Person cutout shown for scale.

So thoughts:

a) the "safe-zone" will be the crater. (There will have to be a crater. Can't see how there couldn't be a real impact site)

B) the starting area will likely be devoid of all life, plant or animal - a true sandbox. Mineral resources will likely be easily obtainable without much mining? (potentially including alloys etc - material created in during the impact event itself), and we'll likely carry seed stock etc on the ship to get food started. But beyond that... /shrug.

Great topic btw.

Free spaceship for membership in an organization seems odd to me. That just provides opportunity and incentive to strike out on your own.

A spot on a multi-crew ship seems like the better way to go. And reinforces playing an active role in the organization.

But, we'll see what emerges.

I know csyn seems like an alliance. And perhaps to some degree you could think of it like an npc empire from eve. But it exists so the real orgs. The dua, tu, ody, can play together and against each other.

I can't know the full extent and openness each individual member org will have I'm their space. So I don't know if all hubs will be publicly available.

Emberstone is special. While Cinderfall will be the controlling governance. I want to connect with as many people as possible. The outfit, boo, acs, empire , individuals, all the csyn orgs, SilverLight etc. To have access to advertisements that noobs will see as they go around the city.

Idk if the billboard element well suffice. Or if well have to do physical manipulation of voxels to make recruitment art in 3d. But everyone can benefit from this.

It'll be as big as we need to have a market, social gathering places, several themed areas of the city from goody goody areas to the shadowy dastards crag. The basic experience area for da newbies.

Yeah we will have to push the envelope of what's possible from the tools they give us, bend the intended uses of the rdms to create a place for vets to chill. And newbies to figure the game out.

I am a little overbearing and protective of it because it's my baby and I think it's good for the community if we all cooperate. Even if we're technical enemies at times. I see the people that laugh at the community building and say it's not important. That it will take care of itself, well that's not how I wanted to play I guess I'm at odds with them. I've seen what humanity does when nobody guides things towards positivity

Since every single player will start in the same Arkship, which I believe has been said, what might end up surrounding the Arkship eventually? Will it become a sprawling metropolis?

If "other games" are anything to go by, I can imagine a whole lot of griefers just sitting outside the shield waiting to jump on anyone who dares come through it... now if only someone had some teleport tech and could build a teleport and teleport people out of it at some random location, for a fee of course... or you could try your luck in the tunnel. No one has ever come back... so it must be safe, right?

Something I worry about with the Arkship safe zone is this...

Are players the ones that will be building the city around the Arkship? If so, will there be... "quality" guidelines that get enforced? Otherwise the starting zone will quickly look like, well, shit, to put it bluntly. On top of that, can other players deconstruct the works of others? If so, wouldn't starting players just destroy what others make to get their materials to fly off world? Or wouldn't trolling others by stealing bits of their structures be common place with no way to retaliate due to it being a "safe zone"?

Honestly, the whole starting planet sounds like a place I'd want to flee in terror from the moment I log in.

We'll be leaving our personal territories by ship.

It's not really possible to camp the entire 2K bubble.

You've never heard of Jita undock have you? :)

I think just the mere fact that you claim it's not possible will be enough of a challenge for some players to prove to you that it IS possible! Never underestimate the creativity a griefer can summon in order to ruin your day :)

As for leaving by ship - are you telling me there will be no ship to ship pew pew?

Something I worry about with the Arkship safe zone is this...

Are players the ones that will be building the city around the Arkship? If so, will there be... "quality" guidelines that get enforced? Otherwise the starting zone will quickly look like, well, shit, to put it bluntly. On top of that, can other players deconstruct the works of others? If so, wouldn't starting players just destroy what others make to get their materials to fly off world? Or wouldn't trolling others by stealing bits of their structures be common place with no way to retaliate due to it being a "safe zone"?

Honestly, the whole starting planet sounds like a place I'd want to flee in terror from the moment I log in.

My expectation is that Alpha and Beta organizations will come up with aesthetic guidelines that will be prepared for the starting city.

Some of that will be governed by the aesthetics of the dev-designed Elements affixed to the buildings.

We will be able to give permissions for other players to deconstruct what we build, but it's not automatic. No. Not in the safe zone around the Ark.

Outside of the safe zone, players could probably blast your buildings to bits.

Enough people like myself care about the game and the future to work together and with NQ to try and make the new player experence pleasant and ensure that the area around the ark doesn't become a mess or a bad reflection of the game.

I expect, that some authority either as an in game organisation or some ark region specific game mechanics will control property rights for "ark city" with properly allocated areas for recruitment, a noob bus service and areas for organisations to build embassies, trade hubs and factories.

Expect a plaza with a sign "Welcome defrosties"

That is, if the direct vicinity of the Ark ship is even mineable. I mean, they could have a 1km zone around the Ark that belongs to the NPC "Arkship" where no one can mine or build, just to preserve that first impression. The other 19km of the initial safezone can be used for whatever then

As much as I would like to believe that people will build a utopian city around the arkship, the cynic in me says that it's more likely that it will become a barren wasteland instead. The issue of rights is also concerning. Either you have normal, RDMS-protected constructs, where others have no rights to deconstruct or ability to destroy, OR you have completely open constructs, where anyone can come along and add or remove voxels or elements to it. Either case has big flaws.

Perhaps griefing won't be an issue with the P2P system, allowing option 2 to work. But there's going to be a free trial period and P2P wouldn't be an absolute guarantee of anti-griefing anyway. Another option might be to prohibit building and mining. This would protect the area, but also kind of negates the purpose: to provide a training and start-up area for new players.

We may need some special case solution for the arkship area. Maybe there could be some kind of peer review based system with static (not moving, even with a dynamic core) constructs. If enough people "vote" to remove the construct, then rights are free to everyone and it can be demolished/reworked as required. Though this could be abused by an organization large enough to garner enough votes to tear down legit constructs.

These were just some of the thoughts that I had. None of them seem to solve the problem, unfortunately. IMO, a tweaked version of peer review might work best.