First steps - Truth

Dominar

Here is the first piece of my character's story in Dual Universe. It begins just as you might expect. With the waking of the crew members of the Arkship after just under 10 thousand years asleep.

Note: May be disturbing to young viewers. It gets a bit graphical at one point.

I woke suddenly, torn from my peace. At first, I was confused, wondering what had woken me, so I remained still. My eyes shut, I could see the light of what I assumed to be the sun through my eyelids. If I had to make a guess, it appeared to be early in the afternoon. I felt like I was lying on the ground.

Despite my sudden waking, I was still heavy with sleep. I began to slowly return to reality, My mind still deep in my dreams. There it was again! It reminded me of something, or rather, someone. They were calling to me. Who was it? Why did it feel so familiar? My mind began to drift once more.

I shifted in my sleep. As I moved, I realized how cold and stiff I was. The smallest movements caused my entire being to ache. My body was pressed up against a cold surface from nearly every side. It made me shiver. For a third time, I heard it. This time, I was able to make out what it was.

“Dominar!”

I groaned as the call ricocheted through my skull, causing my head to throb and explode with pain. I attempted to open my eyes. Even this seemed to be an impossible task. I finally managed to slide my eyelids apart and the first thing I realized was the light, that was now blinding me, wasn’t sunlight. It was some kind of spotlight. It shut off abruptly now. I blinked a few times  and stared at  where the light used to be and saw what seemed to be a face. It was looking directly at me from behind some glass. Then I realized it was my own reflection. I frowned slightly, my head still throbbing. My skin looked like that of an elephant’s, hanging off me like washing on a hanger. My lips were dry and cracked, taking on a sickly pale color. There was a thick mound of fuzz on my head, which I assumed was my hair, though it looked like the kind of thing you’d find stuck in a dirty shower drain.

I noticed now that my vision was unclear. I struggled to bring my vision into focus, making my head throb even more. I looked back at my reflection, noticing that my eyesight was still blurry, which was normal.

“Tests are nearly done. Good to finally see you awake, Dominar.”

It was a female’s voice. I attempted to say something, but it was as if I forgot how to speak. I opened my mouth sharply. My bottom lip started bleeding as a result.

“I’m noticing a problem with your eyesight and your vocal abilities. Not to worry, your throat is simply dry. You will be able to speak shortly. You also appear to have a rare form of Albinism. If you allow it, I can fix this issue.”

“What? Oh-…”  My head continued to throb. It was hard to think, but, I managed to understand what she was saying. “How…You can’t…who are you?!”

“My name is Lucy. I am your personal AI. I’ve been instructed to wake you as soon as our destination’s ETA was half an hour. The rest of the crew will be awake soon too, however that is the ship's AI's job.

I grunt as she speaks. “Lucy…my personal AI? You don’t sound like- an AI…”

I coughed mid-sentence. Continuing as soon as it subsided.

“I’m looking at your vitals. It appears you are calm. Does this situation not alarm you? You also appear to be the only one awake”

Still staring at my reflection, I look around me. As I attempted to move my head, my vision blurs even more. I grunt as I move.

“Only one awake? What do you mean?”

“Please remain still. I’m going to resolve your eyesight”

“No..you can’t-“ I’m cut off suddenly as I feel pain like I’ve never felt before. I scream as my eyes feel like they just shredded themselves into mince. I’m temporarily blinded, as tears mixed with blood stream down my cheeks. Then, just as abrupt, the pain stops.

“I don’t understand why you are getting so upset about it. All I did was replace the damaged Pigment in your eyes. You now have perfect vision.”

My tears continue but the blood stops flowing. “What did you do to me!?” I yelled.

I open my eyes once more, and, between the tears and blood that were still in my eyes, I blinked several times to try clear it. Finally managing to open my eyes, I looked dead ahead and saw my reflection again. This time, it was like moving from a cam video to Ultra High Definition.

I was stunned. Having never seen half as good in my entire life, I couldn’t seem to find any words. After a while of staring at myself, Lucy spoke.

“It’s time to wake the rest of your body up. I will begin the first stages of defrosting your body”

My body begins to warm. Feeling returns to my legs and arms, toes and fingers. As this happens, I speak.

“Why don’t you sound like an AI? You sound human”

I was truly amazed at how bad my vision really was. All I could do was stare at my reflection as I spoke with Lucy.

“These settings were chosen for you as we departed from Earth. If you wish, I can-“

“By who?” I cut her off.

“Those details are unknown to me. All I know is that she was chosen to be the voice of your personal AI just before we departed from Earth by the company who was keeping you in a cryogenic state.

“Wait, what!? What do you mean, “departed from Earth”!? Where are we? Also, “cryogenic state”? You mean to say I’ve been in cryosleep? That technology didn’t exist in 2027!”

“We are in space, currently headed towards an Earth-like planet, and yes, cryosleep. You have been in cryosleep since the year 2029 and in a comer since 2027.”

I paused, concerned. “Space...What year is it now…?”

“The year is 12.390”

“What the F*$%!!-“ I’m interrupted abruptly as my lungs seem to implode. I cough and splutter, taking in what I was just told. “10 thousand years?! What?! What happened? Why? Why have I been sleeping for 10 thousand years!? This can’t be true. Cryosleep was new technology in the year 2027. It was only able to support the human body for a few years at a time! Let alone 10 thousand!? My heart began to pound.

“You are correct there. The technology did not exist then. However, you have not been in cryosleep since the year 2027. Your body was preserved after you suffered a fatal accident and went into a comer. You have been in cryosleep since 2029, two years after you were first placed into a comer. The technology to sustain your body indefinitely was developed while you were in a comer.”

I began to calm down at this point.

“…I see…why was I in cryosleep to begin with? Also, can you tell me exactly what fatal accident I was in?”

“On the 26th of April, 2027, it was confirmed that the Earth would end in the year 2537. Due to a neutron star heading directly towards the planet, mankind was forced to leave in order to avoid extinction. 6 months after the discovery of the neutron star, it was agreed that the United Nations would build thousands of gigantic ‘Arkships’ to evacuate as many people as possible. You are onboard one of those ships. As for your accident, I’m in the process of defrosting the rest of your brain. You will recall the events that lead up to your accident shortly”

I listened, stunned. Some part of me wanted to believe it wasn’t true, that this was just some nightmare. However, deep down I knew it was true.

I couldn’t speak. Even if I could, I wouldn’t know what to say. Thankfully, Lucy seemed to understand.

“We are now 19 minutes from our destination. Once we reach the planet, we will orbit until the rest of the crew has awoken. I’m going to take advantage of this time to teach you the skills you will need to succeed in your mission.”

“Speaking of which, what is my ‘mission’?”

“You are a Pioneer and your mission, as one of the last surviving members of the human race, is to colonize the planet we are currently headed towards. In order to establish a future for your race, it is crucial you are successful.”

“How did you fix my eyesight? I was told it cannot be done.”

“That was over 10 thousand years ago.”

“Please, do enlighten me.”

“The technology that made it possible to replace the damaged pigmentation in your eyes was developed not long before the Earth was evacuated. It utilizes the same technology I am about to teach you to use. Time is of the essence. I will now begin the first simulation.

“You saying we’ve run out of time? Should have thought of this a few thousand years ago.”

“Your ability to joke and speak sarcastically is improving. It seems your personality has not been damaged. Are you able to recall any memories?”

I stopped talking now. My headache had subsided at least a little and it was easier to think. I tried to recall something, anything, but nothing came.

“I can’t remember anything”

“I see. Temporary Memory Loss is listed as one of the possible side effects of long term cryosleep. Your memory should come back to you eventually. Although I cannot tell you exactly when. What I can do, is supply you with your name. Dominar, is your name.”

“Dominar...Yes, I can remember that much. However, should? You are not filling me with any confidence.”

“Apologies. I am making sure you understand. There is a chance your memory will never return, however, it is extremely low.”

“I understand…”

“Good. Let us now begin…”

To be continued…