Full PvP or allow player-created PvE zones? (outside of Ark)

yamamushi

@Kiklix

Dude, Wolves battle for who is the Alpha-douchebag. Wolves who lose ragequit. Then the Wolves go for the Sheep. Look thourhghout history what armies that lose wars do. They go for the civilians to make up for their damaged ego. This extends to MMOs. While we call them RAIDERS in real life , the losers that is who go for civilians, in MMOs we call them Griefers. 

And war... war never changes.

So yeah, I'm probably gonna set up a nice, cozy Black Ops group that makes wolves ragequit. How many? As many as I can until they dox me and I quit the game and restart under a new account (and possibly under a new identity :P , cause haters gonna hate ).

Perhaps in every solar system there is at least one planet with an arkified zone on it.

Just to quote myself here, this would also make being an explorer far more profitable, as the first person to discover an arkified zone would have the advantage to claim some of it's territory. Whether they do or don't, is up to them. They could even sell the coordinates once they claimed a spot.

@Halo381

Not to be presumptuous, but your Winston Churchill quote tells much on how you think of "Cool Plans" but actually, you make things worse in the long run.

Watch the movie The Shallows. Then watch a shark-attack video. If you make the connection that those planets with the arkified zone will surrounded by sharks, bingo, here's your Cookie. Cause THAT IS EXACTLY what will happen. And you can bet your ass those planets will have a dense mine field placed around them by shark players. 

You wanted a safe-zone, but through players putting one and one together, Bob's your uncle, safe-zone is now a murder-zone.

P.S. : Churchill was a heavy drinker who wanted to start a nuclear war with Russia. Don't take such a man's quotes as inspiration. 

I don't see the problem actually. The territorial units are going to provide enough safety for all the people that wants to avoid pvp. If you want to build you'll probably have even a virtual space to create blueprints. That's more than enough. 

The arkification doesn't make any sense, why would you give such a ridicolous power to a few lucky guys, in a game where the competition is so important?

@Halo381

Not to be presumptuous, but your Winston Churchill quote tells much on how you think of "Cool Plans" but actually, you make things worse in the long run.

Watch the movie The Shallows. Then watch a shark-attack video. If you make the connection that those planets with the arkified zone will surrounded by sharks, bingo, here's your Cookie. Cause THAT IS EXACTLY what will happen. And you can bet your ass those planets will have a dense mine field placed around them by shark players. 

You wanted a safe-zone, but through players putting one and one together, Bob's your uncle, safe-zone is now a murder-zone.

P.S. : Churchill was a heavy drinker who wanted to start a nuclear war with Russia. Don't take such a man's quotes as inspiration. 

You mention Churchill like the man is my idol, just because I have a quote from him doesn't mean that I'm his number one fan. Geez. The quote has nothing to do with this topic at all.

You mention Churchill like the man is my idol, just because I have a quote from him doesn't mean that I'm his number one fan. Geez. The quote has nothing to do with this topic at all.

Proved my point though. You ask for Murder-Zones. 

@Halo381

Aye, but there's a difference of knowing a place is a murder-zone, with known shark attacks, rather than the vast openness of the ocean, where shark attacks are more rare. You feel me? :P

Arkification tokens would have protect only a very small volume to avoid being abused. I say volume an not area because with say with only 10,000 m^2 of area swept from ground down over 1 km is tons of space.

The point about supply lines is also a good one, since (hopefully) everything will require power of some kind, forcing all operations to cease. Solar energy, if implemented, would need a lot of space to function, hence my suggestion to limit said space severely. This way, an arkified base could be attacked, although indirectly.

However, there should be some mechanic to undo an arkification, balanced with a very long deconstruct timer or something. The idea of a bunch of abandoned, indestructible bases littered everywhere unnerves me. I need to be able to clean up or renovate!

• 1 month later...

I liked the idea of Ultima Onlines PvP.  2 Identical universes, one PvP(with an eerie atmosphere) the other PvE,  You would freely travel between the 2 realities using portals. That way you could keep the non pvp side for trading and knowing you were stepping into the pvp side wouldn't ruin the thrill as the world is just as big and full pvp ruleset.

You could also have some sort of Pirate/Bounty rewards on either side, if someone with a murderous past goes to the PVE side then he would be fair game to be attacked by anyone but couldn't attack anyone without incurring the wrath of local peace keepers.  Achievements etc for getting a kill on both sides maybe, something fun.

Feats performed in the PVP reality as with all games would offer slightly improved rewards for higher risks.

We could have full pvp and pve. Blackholes as the portals?

I liked the idea of Ultima Onlines PvP.  2 Identical universes, one PvP(with an eerie atmosphere) the other PvE,  You would freely travel between the 2 realities using portals. That way you could keep the non pvp side for trading and knowing you were stepping into the pvp side wouldn't ruin the thrill as the world is just as big and full pvp ruleset.

You could also have some sort of Pirate/Bounty rewards on either side, if someone with a murderous past goes to the PVE side then he would be fair game to be attacked by anyone but couldn't attack anyone without incurring the wrath of local peace keepers.  Achievements etc for getting a kill on both sides maybe, something fun.

Feats performed in the PVP reality as with all games would offer slightly improved rewards for higher risks.

We could have full pvp and pve. Blackholes as the portals?

That's a thing in EVE, I can't see it not being a thing in DUAL. Bounties are essentially Hit Jobs, if the devs don't add a "captured alive" system in place.

You assign a hit job to someone as a contract, the contractor goes out, tracks the target, griefs him (let's face it, it's griefing on a payrool) and then the mark drops an item the contractor returns back as a bounty "quest item". Perhaps the one contracting may ask for a certain times of killing the target, who knows? :P