If I may ask

Legate

I'm not too sure about asking this or which subforum it might fit under, but I have to ask. Will there be a version of this for Steam? Some of us wish not to leave our comfort zone. I'm a bit concerned about leaving my safe place.

Please, I'm scared to ask.

I'm not too sure about asking this or which subforum it might fit under, but I have to ask. Will there be a version of this for Steam? Some of us wish not to leave our comfort zone. I'm a bit concerned about leaving my safe place.

Please, I'm scared to ask.

Well, I hope it is as well. Currently, there are quite a few MMO's that are on steam and there are quite a few that aren't. I'd say 50/50 chance. Have fun with that idea.

i feel like it will still be able to be gotten through steam. there are mmo's that are on steam that you can get outside of steam like final fantasy 

Good point. See! My faction members have my back covered, right? Right guys?

*pulls out plasma weapon*

Right?

i feel like it will still be able to be gotten through steam. there are mmo's that are on steam that you can get outside of steam like final fantasy 

*Stops chewing his fries as the rifle emerges* 

....Yep..

I'm not sure that it should really matter. I have played a lot of MMO's through steam, and I still have to make an account on the MMO's website. I usually also have to download the game from the launcher that downloaded from steam.

For me, it's an extra step in what I have to do to play the game. On the other hand, steam would help get it even more attention. So, it is up to the devs to determine what they feel is best for the game and community.

I'm expecting them to come out with their own launcher, then, port it to Steam as well to establish a large player base. Steam is very useful for doing just that, as it is so popular.

Integration with steam has its uses for coop and normal multiplayer games, but aside from the marketing value of it showing up in the steam library, I'm not sure the benefits are worth going through the extra effort of putting it on steam.

Steam has the options for steam servers for multiplayer, which DU won't use as it's a single shard MMO, steam also has joining steam friends games, which it won't need.

As I expect DU to have its own launcher there won't be any steam overlay integration as that would be applied to the launcher not the game.

Friends list wouldn't be needed either as it's MMO, along with no need for the workshop as there isn't really going to be mods.

The only reason I would like DU on steam is for greedy personal reasons that it's easier to buy/launch from a single platform but not really that much easier.

Also, how would steam work with ingame purchases that DU plan in the long run, would steam take a cut or allow it?

I like steam, but I can't think of a substantial benefit to using it that is big enough to warrant the work integrating DU with Steam now.

Nice to have, but unneeded for me.

Nora,

Hi Legate and welcome! :)

Releasing Dual Universe on Steam is being considered (but no promise at the moment).

If we go for Steam at some point, it won't be before Beta (so not before 2018). 

The client would be available on the Steam store, a bit like EvE Online.

This approach wouldn't be led by greed. It would just give more visibility to the game. It's a no brainer: Steam platform gives visibility.

And to see more players joining the game is never a bad thing, especially when the game is centered around player activities.

We are aware that Early Access on Steam are seen with more and more suspicion as developers ask to pay for products far from being finished and the only games who got positive feedback were the games nearly complete or not far away of the official launch. That's why we won't rush a Steam release in any case.

We also make a clear distinction between Early Access and Crowdfunding support.

From our point of view:

- Early Access should be equal to selling a game, not completely finished but already fun to play and fairly stable. In other words, at least a game that has reached Beta. Those who buy a game in Early Access are consumers who buy a product to play a bit in advance prior to the official release.

- Crowdfunding is meant for people who want to help the project and support, people to have suggestions to make to improve the game, etc. They can access the game right from early stages, in order to provide feedbacks that could be taken into account into the dev roadmap. But there are here more as supporters willing to help improving the game than consumers in the first place (but they deserve, of course, the same respect as other consumers!): they understand they are going to enter a game that isn't a nearly finished product or that the fun is not completely there yet.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

We also make a clear distinction between Early Access and Crowdfunding support.

From our point of view:

- Early Access should be equal to selling a game, not completely finished but already fun to play and fairly stable. In other words, at least a game who reached Beta. Those who buy a game in Early Access are consumers who buy a product to play a bit in advance prior to the official release.

- Crowdfunding is meant for people who want to help the project and support, people to have suggestions to make to improve the game, etc. They can access the game right from early stages, in order to provide feedbacks that could be taken into account into the dev roadmap. But there are here more as supporters willing to help improving the game than consumers in the first place (but they deserve, of course, the same respect as other consumers!): they understand they are going to enter a game that isn't a nearly finished product or that the fun is not completely there yet.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

I'm going to steal this definition for my own use, it is exactly what I think of the differences are.

Crowdfunding being the basis of generating funds to create the game and assist in testing out all the bugs where game play may be more frustrating than enjoyable (at least in the early stages).

Early Access being a 'near-completion' access to the game with less bugs and not really requiring testing anymore to play/work.

I think many people do early access very very wrong on steam, there have been several games I've refunded simply because it's unplayable or contentless. Early Access is "Early" access not "Testing" access, i do understand some bugs but some people just don't care and release things into EA that are just not ready for it and get down voted to hell.

Glad DU isn't taking the 'ship to Early Access A.S.A.P' route :)...... Would still fund though...

nora,

That is no doubt the best definition I've heard for 'Early Access' and Crowdfunding. It's awesome to hear that for once, the latest and greatest of games don't have inpatient devs :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I sound dumb in my insistence about this topic, but I want to make absolutely sure.

If DU will get on Steam will it be on Steam only or both on Steam and the website?

I'm not sure that it should really matter. I have played a lot of MMO's through steam, and I still have to make an account on the MMO's website. I usually also have to download the game from the launcher that downloaded from steam.

For me, it's an extra step in what I have to do to play the game. On the other hand, steam would help get it even more attention. So, it is up to the devs to determine what they feel is best for the game and community.

I'm not sure I understand properly. Afaik you can add non-Steam games to its library and play them through the Steam layout anyway, but others require the Steam client with all the bells and whistles, if only for the updates and DRM protection.

Few games, like i.e. Kerbal Space Program and No Man Sky are available from Steam but also from their own site the first, and from GoG the second.

I guess that KS backers will get the full released game regardless of Steam?