NPCs

Shynras

I personally would not mind being able to have NPCs as additional manpower for security or combat purposes. I most notably think of security.

Being able to get a few per player or perhaps per organization sounds nice. Why? Smaller groups could rely on moderate protection or at least as deterrent to "offline invaders". Doesn't mean you can park an army in your base as you log off, but a few strategically placed NPCs or those you can further tweak and edit (patrol routes, basic things to do when hostiles are detected, etc) sound like a good addition. Of course you can tie some cost down to usage and more.

Before anyone comes with the player argument: I'd say unless you were rather large and had players all over the world that had enough time, no one could easily afford to man some base 24/7. In addition if creatures or other NPCs become a potential problem and not just players, then that may make additional sense to have some NPC help. Example: Not just random players could attack your base but depending on where it is located, indigenous wildlife may attack it or NPC bandits and whatnot. If that was random and could happen any time, then having some kind of defense system in place as you're gone may be nice.

It would also make it harder for random raiders to just go on a pillaging tour when no one is there. Obviously, one would have to limit this a bit but balancing is possible.

It is questionable at what level we see this however, or if. Chances are this may be a rather late addition - or one after release.

I personally would not mind being able to have NPCs as additional manpower for security or combat purposes. I most notably think of security.

Being able to get a few per player or perhaps per organization sounds nice. Why? Smaller groups could rely on moderate protection or at least as deterrent to "offline invaders". Doesn't mean you can park an army in your base as you log off, but a few strategically placed NPCs or those you can further tweak and edit (patrol routes, basic things to do when hostiles are detected, etc) sound like a good addition. Of course you can tie some cost down to usage and more.

Before anyone comes with the player argument: I'd say unless you were rather large and had players all over the world that had enough time, no one could easily afford to man some base 24/7. In addition if creatures or other NPCs become a potential problem and not just players, then that may make additional sense to have some NPC help. Example: Not just random players could attack your base but depending on where it is located, indigenous wildlife may attack it or NPC bandits and whatnot. If that was random and could happen any time, then having some kind of defense system in place as you're gone may be nice.

It would also make it harder for random raiders to just go on a pillaging tour when no one is there. Obviously, one would have to limit this a bit but balancing is possible.

It is questionable at what level we see this however, or if. Chances are this may be a rather late addition - or one after release.

You make some good points. I suppose this would make sense. I've been pondering about this myself. Having some NPCs as security would be useful. No one wants to spend their day on patrol duty.

You make some good points. I suppose this would make sense. I've been pondering about this myself. Having some NPCs as security would be useful. No one wants to spend their day on patrol duty.

Trust me, I'd say most players don't even have the guts or time for a task as simple and yet as vital as patrol duty. Or at least the average roleplayer. People often look for the action but these (at times menial) tasks have to be covered too.

In Half-Life 2 roleplay, when I still went to school (or it was on a weekend, so it wouldn't matter) I once did roundabout 8 full hours of checkpoint duty. In fact I wasn't even on patrol where you move around a bit and see new things.

I set up an automated checkpoint (with controls to regulate doors and cameras) in an abandoned subway station or the entrance to it to be precise. No trains ever came. The idea was to simply check or rather block citizens wandering down there as access routes lead to the sewers that were forbidden. Sounds boring as hell to some?

Depends. I actually deterred quite a lot of people there who would've ventured down there otherwise and the cameras helped me cover a somewhat bigger area. Of course we could've simply blocked off the area.

But the point is: There it wasn't even necessary due to automation or just blocking the area. In more resource based sandbox games, patrol or overwatch may be vital for your survival or to prevent excessive damage to property. While I received "RP training" to handle formations patrols and more menial tasks, I honestly can think of better activities at time and I'd say the average player doesn't want to stand on a watchtower most of the time they play, if they even have enough time to play during the week.

So honestly, anything that helps us as players "outsource" those tasks on a fair level (through turrets, cameras, NPCs, etc) is a good thing. Again, doesn't have to be "overpowered" but reasonable. Shouldn't be underpowered either though if they do decide to add those things.

There should be patrols, as you wouldn't want people landing an army of soldiers in your back yard without you noticing. Not out of rolepaly perspective, but as a logical standing point. 

• 1 month later...

UO had player vendors too. This was a great part of the game for me.  Some players making grand markets with lots of vendors, not all their own too, they would rent out vendor spots to others as they were in a good location for visitors.  It really added color to the game and had players scattered all over instead of massed at one central sale point.

Ofc having both would be neat, players could control who actually buys their stuff, wouildn't want to help out the enemy so a fall back would be the central hub.

UO had player vendors too. This was a great part of the game for me.  Some players making grand markets with lots of vendors, not all their own too, they would rent out vendor spots to others as they were in a good location for visitors.  It really added color to the game and had players scattered all over instead of massed at one central sale point.

Ofc having both would be neat, players could control who actually buys their stuff, wouildn't want to help out the enemy so a fall back would be the central hub.

Step 1) : Take box of goodies.

Step 2) : Link box to a Control Unit, like a screen.

Step 3) : Link screen with DPU.

Step 4) : Lua witchcraft.

Step 5) : ????

PROFIT.

There's no real need for NPC vendors, we got FutureSpace Technology for that.