Model scale as a stat

Wicpar

Hello,

I cant help notice that models have a fixed scale and cannot be voxel modified. It could be an interesting mechanic to have a scale modifier that increases size of then model and the stats, so you can make tiny bots to run around conduits and repair your ship. The models are 3D and the scalar is 1D thus would have to scale to the cube to be realistic, with a linear loss function according to abs(original scale - scale) * balancingTweakingConstantScalar.

this would allow for quite interresting things like gigantic reactors, massive guns and tiny bots.

I hope you like that idea

This is actually a really good idea.

Having the ability to scale let's say, an engine, would result in a less powerful engine, but a smaller engine! It makes perfect sense and is highly possible (I think) This would allow for tiny drones and probes that could act as sentries, scouts, and so on!

Great thinking, Wicpar.

I agree. Fantastic idea. At the very least have a few set sizes and respective parameters available for components, that way they don't have to do scaling math for each component, plus then the properties could be modified later. Say, 3 or 5 different sizes of the same thing.

But just straight up scaling would be better!

This is actually a really good idea.

Having the ability to scale let's say, an engine, would result in a less powerful engine, but a smaller engine! It makes perfect sense and is highly possible (I think) This would allow for tiny drones and probes that could act as sentries, scouts, and so on!

Great thinking, Wicpar.

actually scaling models is one of the easiest things there are XD (visually), physically, there may be some caveats if they voxelize the mesh, but shouldn't be the mostly difficult thing to do. The most difficult and long part will be the balancing of that feature, as it cannot be precalculated and has to be found out with time.

I believe this idea would be a great addition!
But I agree also with ATMLIVE, that there should atleast be a set few to begin with while they still figure things out!

Scaling damage, rotation speeds, etc, etc. with the size of weapons, rotors, thrusters would make things way more intricate and I really enjoy that concept. It also allows as Diablo says, more flexible machines!

Good thinking!

If the developers managed to:
(1) create an algorithm that scales the required amount of resources and components to create the desired element,
(2) Create scalable textures and meshes for each element, or an automatic process that does it for them (I've seen it done before)
and finally, (3) balance out the stats such as damage and defense via either manual testing or an automatic alorithm such as the one from (1), this could easily possible. I'd imagine it's easier said then done, and there's probably more to it, but hey, it's a totally boss idea.

yes, non incremental scaling might cause OCD problems with gaps, thus the scale should increase in 1 voxel increments, but still respond to the non incremental function to guarantee an analytical predictability of the stats.

but... i disagree to have it too straight forward: it is just too predictable thus boring. having some degree of uncertainty depending of the quality and nature of the material would be quite fun because it would have an exploration aspect to it. (not necessarily the higher quality the better, just more variability in the stats with a common tendency to go down but in absolute might be better than the high quality ones because of a rare beneficial impurity, but the advantages should be negligible (the maximum stats are determined by a gaussian curve around a predetermined random quality on the material, and the statistical probability to obtain it is 1/ (1000000 / quality / randomConstDependingOfRarity)).

this is just a suggestion tho.