Mineing to create underground cities

Hisshadow

I, personally, would feel disappointed not to be able to dig a hole and build in it.

If Space Engineer can do it ... ;)

The devs said they plan a limited range of digging in a planet. Like, 2 kilometers I think, maybe ten, but depends. I mean, everyone would want their Batcave :P

• 3 weeks later...

Do believe they said, there is going to be a hard limit on how far down you can mine, but i'm sure the'll leave plenty of room to build a cavernous area for a city or base. I plan to take my aspirations to the asteroid fields and hide an evil layer (or ship construction facility) there. You know, whatever one pays the bills.

I fully intend to have my assests stored in various underground locations far away from prying eyes. To be honest, while cities themselves and being surrounded by people coming in and out of town would be awesome, I feel like it just puts a giant target on you. Who knows, maybe I'm just being pesimistic, but I have a feeling there is going to be quite a few players who get their kicks out of raiding and seiging small outposts and cities. I've always felt that you can't raid what you can't find.

Secret underground bases in an asteroid field might also be my thing. 

Unless the other guys land on the planet and start packing holes on your surface with jackhammers. Then they can drop a feck-ton of nukes down your cities.

Makes me wonder how terrain deformation / reformation might work in this instance. I know in SE that once an area of terrain has been destroyed that it can often be very difficult to try to make it look natural again. Assuming the city inhabitants were able to fend off the attackers, I would think that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an underground city if the surface above it is pock-marked with craters from subterranean detonations. lol

- Caves and underground cities don't have access to sunlight, so it's impossible to farm food crops. They would have to be imported from farm on the surface (Possible solution: In minecraft you can harvest crops under the surface using "light blocks" (don't know the name), so maybe you can farm also under the surface with special artificial light in greenhouses.)

OK so your answer for crops underground in MC :

- Light : torches, glowstone, sea lanterns, powered redstone lamps. But usually torches. And it works very well.

- To let the daylight fall : glass, stairs, and other transparent blocks.

I plan on making underground facilities, underwater facilities, and though I am less interested in it, floating facilities, and then there is also the orbital facility. I wonder if  it will be possible to make a mass driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

The 2km depth limit has been bounded around, I don't think people appreciate how deep that is, obviously going across the land it does not seem much but going directly down its a huge distance. The deepest cave in the world is 2,197 meters and expeditions have take up to a month to get down to that depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krubera_Cave

I suspect "spelunking" will be the activity of choice for new players who want to mine, building a city underground will be very cools but unless you are lucky and find a huge cave I suspect it will be incredibly time consuming excavating and disposing of thousands of tons of rock and gravel.

While such a planet size probably will not exist in DU, (if it does, I will eat my keyboard) 

such planets are possible since voxels are not necessarely only one meter wide, they are likely organized in an octtree and thus spare a lot of memory. additionally, if the procedural terrain generation is consistent, it can be used to fill in non modified voxels and thus only saving modified ones, and reducing the memory usage to a few megabytes, even massive ones. (every time someone approaches the planet would have to be baked again, but nothing to expensive).

• 4 months later...