Mineing to create underground cities

Hisshadow

Mwahaha... Evil, nay, just avoiding PVP.

*Liutenant shakes in fear*

"I have heard that name only in horrifying tales, sir... who is this "scruggs""

"He is a cowardly weakling, that tries to avoid combat by digging holes... which wouldn't be so bad if PEOPLE DIDN'T FALL DOWN INTO THEM ALL THE TIME!"

"but sir, why does people fall into them, I mean, can't they avoid them?"

*The liutenant sounds confused, while the captain turns to him*

"You don't understand, he digs them in the most ABNOXIOUS of places. Once, I opened my door one morning, and it was placed RIGHT OUTSIDE MY DOOR!"

*the captain turns back to the planetarygrid*

"I could never really get my newspaper after that, I had to start using the internet for my daily news" 

*The captain clenches his fist in rage*

Oh I think we can do more than just create holes and cities in the ground, we can sink infantry units, or the tanks that some people want to build. Combat is more than shooting a laser rifle. Invading my area, park your ship and you may return to a hole where your ship used to be.

Oh I think we can do more than just create holes and cities in the ground, we can sink infantry units, or the tanks that some people want to build. Combat is more than shooting a laser rifle. Invading my area, park your ship and you may return to a hole where your ship used to be.

*the liutenant looks at the captain*

"But what is wrong with the digital newspaper? it is still the same thi..."

*the captain turns around angrily*

"IT IS NOT THE SAME THING! Trust me, after 50 years of reading newspaper, I know the diffrence!"

*He frowns* and it wasn't JUST the newspaper... my ship. He litterally BURRIED IT! I JUST BOUGHT THE SHIP TOO!

*the captain clearly hates this Scruggs"

*Observes from a distance, eating space fries*

"..."

*Looks at the hole clearly visible outside the cap's house*

"..."

*Turns back to the two men and continues to watch for a little*

"..."

*Hears an odd noise. Glances around confused. Now looks at his feet and sees a face. He raises and eyebrow*

*The face grins back at him as it disappears. From where the two men are standing, a massive dust cloud can be seen where Dominar was moments ago.

If you can dig around, then any artificial (or converted natural, like a cave that becomes a base) underground area made into some player camp or base shouldn't be a problem.

We did this heavily in Minecraft. Apart from like 1 exception, we mostly had underground bases there. Our bases were later most often in the ocean right in the water and / or beneath the ocean and the surface.

It would be somewhat interesting to have physics mechanics on blocks or pieces of land ("round blocks" so to speak) like in that certain zombie sandbox survival game.

There things like caves or tunnels could collapse if there is too much pressure from above. Well, just like in reality, so you have to add support beams or a proper design so nothing collapses. And you don't want to be buried in your own underground cave or tunnel system. Or base / city for that matter.

That is what I was wondering about. If the physics would allow for the collapse or if it would behave like minecraft. I'm hoping it allows for the collapse, since it would be more strategic.

With the scope they seem to aim for here, they may as well add physics to the game. Is it more work including fine-tuning? Yup.

Is not having it somewhat a bummer? Yup. Honestly, the floating minecraft blocks are outdated and we should not see that in a game like this.

Obviously, I mean on the planet or somewhere where gravity is. In space things would "float".

Planets are made up of voxels, so caves are already possible. However, I'm not so sure about physics. The Devs mentioned a need to test out your ship in a virtual environment available to players so there would be no loss in materials if the ship crashs. This indicates there will be some dynamics to flight. Which means aerodynamics, and maybe physics too.

Planets are made up of voxels, so caves are already possible. However, I'm not so sure about physics. The Devs mentioned a need to test out your ship in a virtual environment available to players so there would be no loss in materials if the ship crashs. This indicates there will be some dynamics to flight. Which means aerodynamics, and maybe physics too.

I think it's a pretty safe guess that they will implement physics on a case by case basis, using it to calculate the speed and rotation of a ship doesn't mean you automatically get structural integrity applied to underground caverns. Frankly I'd be happily surprised if a chunk of mud falls to the ground when you've dug all around it rather then keep floating in the air.

I think it's a pretty safe guess that they will implement physics on a case by case basis, using it to calculate the speed and rotation of a ship doesn't mean you automatically get structural integrity applied to underground caverns. Frankly I'd be happily surprised if a chunk of mud falls to the ground when you've dug all around it rather then keep floating in the air.

Hopefully, we get some form of physics, Floating islands are fun, but not realistic. As this game is aiming for realism, I can't see them going without physics.

Hopefully, we get some form of physics, Floating islands are fun, but not realistic. As this game is aiming for realism, I can't see them going without physics.

I remain hopeful but skeptical. Anything that tends to result in server syncing issues is going to be much more of an issue when the same action can start in one server continue in another and finish in a 3rd. Much of the application of physics might go the way of FPS combat in the sacrifices they'll have to make for the continuous shard.

Imagine a hollow planet with what is referred to as a Dyson sphere(Can be googled) and a civilization living on the inside of it. It would be extraordinarily defensive and just a really cool place to live.

Imagine a hollow planet with what is referred to as a Dyson sphere(Can be googled) and a civilization living on the inside of it. It would be extraordinarily defensive and just a really cool place to live.

UNtill someone hits the side with a powerfull enough weapon, and the whole thing basicly shatters like a christmas decoration xD

@Jared To be accurate friend a dyson sphere, is a structure constructed around a star and would therefore have to be much larger (in at the very least volume) than said star.  But I agree it would be without doubt the most amazing place to live.

You should add that underground cities are a perfect wat to conquer planetary bombarment

Unless the other guys land on the planet and start packing holes on your surface with jackhammers. Then they can drop a feck-ton of nukes down your cities.

An underground city buried deep inside a planet sounds more like a plan than a suggestion, as I'm sure such a thing will be possible! :)

As for a Starkiller base, I'm not so sure. The Starkiller base was roughly 10 times larger than the first Deathstar. The first Deathstar was roughly 150klm in diameter. The second one being almost three times the size. (To put that in perspective, the first Deathstar was bigger than the biggest size available for a default Space Engineers planet (which is 120klm in diameter)

So now back to the Starkiller base, that's about 1200klm in diameter. While such a planet size probably will not exist in DU, (if it does, I will eat my keyboard) creating a weapon capable of destroying entire star systems in a game full of star systems is incredibly overpowered and unpracticable for the server. As such a server would already be using a lot of processing power, a Starkiller base would probably not work.

Sorry to disappoint :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

I propose the devs make 1200 KLM diameter planets possible for the sole purpose of seeing Dominar eat his keyboard. :D

An underground / in-ground city would be very cool. I know of at least one person in my guild who loves building into mountains and hollowing them out to make bases/houses within.

When done well it looks extremely good, not to mention good defensive capability.