Mineing to create underground cities

Hisshadow

An underground city buried deep inside a planet sounds more like a plan than a suggestion, as I'm sure such a thing will be possible! :)

As for a Starkiller base, I'm not so sure. The Starkiller base was roughly 10 times larger than the first Deathstar. The first Deathstar was roughly 150klm in diameter. The second one being almost three times the size. (To put that in perspective, the first Deathstar was bigger than the biggest size available for a default Space Engineers planet (which is 120klm in diameter)

So now back to the Starkiller base, that's about 1200klm in diameter. While such a planet size probably will not exist in DU, (if it does, I will eat my keyboard) creating a weapon capable of destroying entire star systems in a game full of star systems is incredibly overpowered and unpracticable for the server. As such a server would already be using a lot of processing power, a Starkiller base would probably not work.

Sorry to disappoint :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Well,  if you borrow some space engineer parts like gravity generators..  and assuming a star is also a voxel entity..  you could use gravity assist beams to pull the stars flame voxels thru the planets core.

Also,  planets should really have voxel layers down to the core itself..

As far as it could seem cool to build such a huge creation, you'll probably get bored (or die) before it's completed. Regarding the actual size of planets, I think that's perfect like it is now, for the following reason:

-Less dispersion of player, more pvp.

-You can easily find Bases/Social HUBs

-Resources on a planet will deplete faster, so colonizing make more sense. If you live in a huge ass planet that has so many resources you'll never be able to use, colonizing doesn't play a role.

-Colonizing means exploration.

- and more

Are stars and suns going to be an entity that could be approached, or are the going to be an un-achievable point in space similar to space engineers? If it is possible to approach how close could one get?

Are stars and suns going to be an entity that could be approached, or are the going to be an un-achievable point in space similar to space engineers? If it is possible to approach how close could one get?

Well, last time I checked. Steven went to see if the sun was achievable, didn't hear from him for over 4 months. Can someone check on him?

Underground building, terraforming, underwater building, big size mining.

All these ideas would be impressive to see and a lot more awesome to do in game. But I think even the best modern sandbox game has it´s technical limits.

I mean everyone could see what happens when the project becomes too ambitious (Star Citizen)

The costs are exploding and the players have to wait for decades for the final product.

I don´t know much about the occupied voxel system which will be used by Novaquark but I hope it can meet all the high expectaions.

No need to mention the last mmo which could not do so... (Everquest next)

Maybe not a Starkiller base, however building a Death Star may actually be possible, according to the devs. Have a look at this quote.

"Players will be free to build ships with any designs that they can conceive, as well as buildings or space stations. In fact, Baille is eagerly hoping a few thousand enterprising players will work towards building their own version of the Death Star"

Now this isn't a stone cold confirmation, however, it's pretty solid. It suggests something like building a Death Star will be possible in DU

I'm pretty sure we will see some Death Stars on a lower scale. But I personally doubt "thousands of players" will work together to build a gigantic 1:1 ball bigger than a planet. It's not good in a fight, you'd need hundreds of players to control it, the amount of time and resources to complete it would be insane, and you could lose all in a sigle fight.

Never. Say never... currently in black desert there is a single guild so large it has taken over every shard on a server... there has to literally be thousands of players linked via guilds.

So yes, it can happen : )

Plus don't expect it to be like the movies, there won't be a poet hike to the core Lol it'll be more like a a Borg cube

Well voxel planets and stars should make anything possible :)

Even floating cities or starbases inside the edge of a gas giant to hide it if it's built strong enough

Well, if voxel planets make everything possible, think about what kids love to do with sand and water...

Someone will fill your underground city with the water of the nearest river ... at least, if everything is possible B)

To leave the idea of giant death stars, i think there are many practical reasons for building a town/city underground.

My pros:

- You can build an underground city in old and non-used mine shafts, where you do not find any ores anymore. So you can "recycle" these maybe big sites where also a basical infrastructure is given from the miners (ways for carts, small outposts for supply or offices, ...).

- Another thing is that you are protected from a possible wild and unfriendly climate, on a moon with no atmosphere (where you need protection from meteors), on an ice planet or at least very cold planet (where you can "heat" the underground, small separate rooms which get warm fast) or on an desert planet or a desert ON a planet (caves would be a cool place to rest, live and build in such a hostile environment). That brings me to my next point:

- Building (houses for the beginning, but also ships or other things) in a safe environment would be easier than in open landscapes, because 1. you are not so easy to find when you work in a cave or underground (that's a pvp reason, relating to factories built in old mine shafts in WW2, because of bombing runs of the allies), and it's not so easy to destroy through bombing runs of ships in the atmosphere (read the previous brackets), only way would be to invade it through infantry troops which have to land on the ground first.

- There is a light (but not to be scoffed at) protection against natural disasters, like hurricanes, tornados, flooding, storms, volcanic eruptions etc. Of course there is also danger in a cave or underground city, especially during an earthquake (in this case you will probably die).

- You are secure from wild animals who want to kill you (a reason for housing since the stone age), but be careful, bears also live in caves ;) (I don't know if there are bears in DU, but I'm sure there are also animals underground which don't like you).

Cons:

- The earthquakes spoken to. This is a complete disaster for a colony below earth, because emergency exits have to be near and you have to get fast out; another thing is that your colony will be definitely destroyed (a solution: don't build an underground city where earthquakes can happen, for example on the brink of continental plates (providing that they exist on a voxel world).

- The argument that you are safe for bombardments is true, but you are caught when infantry storms your base, because there is no way to escape in a cave (a siege is possible; solution: build always an exit the enemy don't knows, the bigger the better, ideal would be secret exits for small ships to evacuate in emergencies. Maybe an extinct volcano? :) )

- Caves and underground cities don't have access to sunlight, so it's impossible to farm food crops. They would have to be imported from farm on the surface (Possible solution: In minecraft you can harvest crops under the surface using "light blocks" (don't know the name), so maybe you can farm also under the surface with special artificial light in greenhouses.).

This is all what comes to my mind, I'm sure you find something else.

If we can mine and each planet is all voxels we should be able to move underground caverns to place cities in :)

And with enough mining, maybe a starkiller base?

Yes you can, and yes you can.

Underground is confirmed some where, all you need to do is dig enough to fit the buildings such underground, there was a few posts on it a while ago about what people would do or what they would build. As my time is limited on the forums I cannot link them :(

And yes to a incredible size construct if constructs are as infinite as predicted then you can build whatever size deathstar/starkiller base you like, you'll just have to get both the man-power to build it and the resources required.

However, I must note that it has also been confirmed that there will be no super-weapons that are capable of destroying planets. Again can't link because of time :(.. But think of it this way, if there was a weapon like that then how would you balance it when there are countless territories on each planet, and even more territories that could be orbiting said planet?. It would be a cluster-**** to work with an create a acceptable outcome if a guild had that kind of power, not including what would happen if you tried the super-weapon on a arkified site.

nora,

Yes you can, and yes you can.

Underground is confirmed some where, all you need to do is dig enough to fit the buildings such underground, there was a few posts on it a while ago about what people would do or what they would build. As my time is limited on the forums I cannot link them :(

And yes to a incredible size construct if constructs are as infinite as predicted then you can build whatever size deathstar/starkiller base you like, you'll just have to get both the man-power to build it and the resources required.

However, I must note that it has also been confirmed that there will be no super-weapons that are capable of destroying planets. Again can't link because of time :(.. But think of it this way, if there was a weapon like that then how would you balance it when there are countless territories on each planet, and even more territories that could be orbiting said planet?. It would be a cluster-**** to work with an create a acceptable outcome if a guild had that kind of power, not including what would happen if you tried the super-weapon on a arkified site.

nora,

Well, fancy that. I suppose it's for the best, though, having no super weapons. That would make the entire universe uncomfortable. :)

If such an endeavor takes place, I suggest we all gather in a teamspeak server, listen to Ramstein and keep packing them jackhammers to the ground and open the planet itself a ... new cavity so ti speak. :|

And you know, Sonne is the best and most appropriate song for places where the sun never shines

If such an endeavor takes place, I suggest we all gather in a teamspeak server, listen to Ramstein and keep packing them jackhammers to the ground and open the planet itself a ... new cavity so ti speak. :|

And you know, Sonne is the best and most appropriate song for places where the sun never shines

I was taking a drink while I was reading your reply, I almost died.

just read this on the Q&A thread DU is having atm

Planets showed in the E3 teaser looked like heightmaps. Do you plan on making stuff like caverns and archs? How far can we dig the ground?

Indeed, the procedural generation algorythm used to make our first planets did the same thing that can be done with heightmaps.

However, we are looking into making 3D procedural generation, meaning caverns and similar things. As you can imagine, R&D is far from being finished in this domain. This is work in progress. As for the max depth you will be able to dig the ground, the exact limit hasn't been defined yet, but we are aiming at a few kilometers (the final decision may be tied to technical performances). Beyond that, let's say the temperature will start to raise too high to be a viable environment. 

So even though they are in development and discussions regarding how deep you can mine the one thing that stood out was at the very end.
"Beyond that, let's say the temperature will start to raise too high to be a viable environment."

That is going to be really cool to see. If the temperature rises as you go deeper then the need for cooling equipment is going to be needed. Things such as computer components and sensor equipment etc... are going to need to stay cool or they will over heat and fail. What other equipment will need this cooling? Structures built underground will also need to have a cooling unit or ventilation to maintain a comfortable environment not only for humans but animals, if any, and vegetation as well.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light.

Interesting indeed. Hopefully, we'll be able to go reasonably deep. I'm not too bothered if we can't go deeper than a few kilometers, as stated above.

A few kilometers is still pretty decent. I'll be digging holes regardless. Watch your step, I'll be digging them everywhere for no apparent reason, and they will all be a few kilometers deep.

A few kilometers is still pretty decent. I'll be digging holes regardless. Watch your step, I'll be digging them everywhere for no apparent reason, and they will all be a few kilometers deep.

I mean, It shouldn't be that difficult to build underground cities / factories / secret laboratories :D

I mean, It shouldn't be that difficult to build underground cities / factories / secret laboratories :D

Exactly why I'll dig them everywhere, you won't know which one will lead to your quick death or which will lead to a pool of water and an underground lab, factory or city

Exactly why I'll dig them everywhere, you won't know which one will lead to your quick death or which will lead to a pool of water and an underground lab, factory or city

You are evil...

"SIR! we found something strange!"

"What is it!"

"It is a row of strange holes, sir!"

"Holes... I know only one man who would DARE dig holes on my planet! *dramatic pause* SCRUGGS!"

*Liutenant gasps in horror*