What happendes when you log off?

Sorry in this was already mentioned , didn´t see it

Plz excuse my (bad) english

​A very basic and important question is What happends when you leave?

I only few possible options - none is perfect

If you know of other options pls comment them below

1) What happends to your character when you log off?

1.1 Character vanishes - Usual in games

1.2 Character goes to sleep/equivalent - you will need bed/cryocapsules on ships(At least on long flights)

- you will also have to make shelter or go back on arc ship (At start)

- if you just have to leave/blackout/computer problem your character dies

2) What happends to ship (if you pilot one) and you log off?

2.1 Ship vanishes

2.1.1 Highly abusible - see danger comming our way? lets log off!

2.1.2 What happend if there is someone else on the ship when you leave? He/she(/it :D) just dies??

2.2 Ship turns on autopilot(stops or continues depending on setting) / Waits for other crewman to fly it

2.2.1 If you arent in savezone you can bet someone will steal it!

2.2.2 What if you are in the middle of battle? Good bay ship!

(possible - depending on how the radar will work

2.3 Ship turns off as many systems (preset) as it can so it will be pretty much undetectibal by radar

2.3.1 If you are flying through gravity field? Good bay ship!

2.3.2 If you are in the middle of battle? Good bay ship!

I was also wondering this...

I like 1.2 (cryosleep), and a mix of both 2.2 and 2.3 (ship autopilot + turning off detectable systems).

In any case, having to log off in the middle of a battle will always suck unless you have crew members to take over.

i dont see the devs being able to force someone to log off in a certain location. but you could force a waiting period where they cant be attacked or move for like 10 seconds. this stops people from logging off as they are about to be attacked. im not sure what happens to ships though. as buildings and such stay and one would assume a multi crew ship wont vanish when one person logs off. NQ doesnt call ships a ship or a building a building. they are all constructs so in that sense im assuming that if you get dc'ed in combat your ship might be gone when you get back and you log back to be spaced or at the nearest spawn point

Personally I think it should be possible to make some assets disappear when you log out, particularly since it sounds like the devs plan to make it take a long time to become space-capable.  Suppose you start off at the ark, secure enough resources to build an aircraft and fly off to explore the rest of the planet carrying basically everything you own between the aircraft and your backpack inventory.  Flying off into space to hide in the middle of nowhere isn't an option for an atmospheric craft; the best you can do is either fly all the way back to the safe zone or try your luck with some secluded place on the planet.  Here is an approach I would take:

Presumably FTL drives will require limitations for similar reasons.  Start by figuring out what works here and apply the same restrictions to vanishing ships on logout.  The obvious system here would be a charge-up delay that can be interrupted by an attack or the ship attempting any action.

Set a permission flag to determine who is and isn't authorized to take the ship with them when they log out.  This way you can set any ship you build yourself as a personal asset and take it with you when you log out, though when you fly a ship for an organization when you log out the ship is still available to other members as needed.  This would be a situation where an autopilot would be useful, programming a guild ship to either fly back home or fly off into hiding if its crew logs off.  If someone does borrow an organization ship for an extended mission then special permission might be granted.

Don't allow a ship to vanish when any other players are on board, hostile or friendly.  This way you can't just jump away from a boarding party or leave your allies stranded in space (unless of course you can airlock them all first).  If, however, a multiplayer ship is flagged for a single owner then it can still vanish if the entire crew disconnects to make sure the ship isn't lost to some regional internet issues, server problems or very bad luck.  Also don't allow it to vanish if someone else's assets are stored on board, for example if a crew member has their own shuttle sitting in the hangar.

Finally, set each ship to check for all of the above conditions whenever the owner force logs or disconnects.  Basically the ship will automatically attempt to vanish if all of the requirements are satisfied with all of the same limitations.  If the pilot of a single seater disconnects then it can basically try to vanish immediately; if it is interrupted by combat then it will try again repeatedly until it is successful or destroyed.  If the owner of a multiplayer ship disconnects then the crew can keep on fighting and/or try to retreat.  Once the immediate fight is over the crew doesn't have to worry about keeping someone else's ship safe; they can split up and the ship will vanish on its own.

I personally don't think anything should "vanish", beside, maybe players.

Regarding ships:

-People will just log off in dangerous situations. A 10 sec cooldown will not always be enough, because this game is probably not gonna be just close range combat, so you'll often have 10 sec of time before the aggressor shots you. More than 10 sec cooldown is going to be annoying for people to wait. 

-You're probably gonna have more ships, spread across different planets. What's going to happen to those? Every single construct you own is going to disappear at the same time?

-What if you are a leader of a corporation and you're piloting a ship with 100 of players inside it?

It would be so frustrating and unfun, that i can't imagine this is what the devs want. 

Regarding players:

Still a player could just log off in the middle of a fight. Let's say you are winning a fight with your ship Vs his own, and he knows he's going to die. He would just take all the stuff he can from the storage, and would log off. Even in this case, the best way to balance this would probably be: when you logoff your character go sleep, and doesn't vanish. This would require for people to build escape pods, and stuff like that, and would add more depth to the building system, and to other sections of the gameplay. 

Regarding autopiloting:

My guess is that, an autopilot should be just something that gets scripted by the players. So players could come up with some system that automatically send their ship to a safe location, but I wouldn't want it to be "standard"

Regarding being harder to detect:

I feature like this could be fine as long as the ship can be detected from a relatively close range. It just can't vanish.

The problem I see with this is that there are people that need to log off because of an emergency. I was a volunteered firefighter, and I always had to quit everything. EVE was a hassle. I had to give my ship the command to dock and leave the game on, so my ship does that.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question at hand is about the safezones. If they will be the whole starting planet or even system and if there will be any out there in the unknown space.

Since logging out in a safe zone would take the worry about pvp. But incase pve is implemented a freakin space whale could just go and crash into your ship even in a safe zone xD

But yeah other than that i'd say its not gonna be possible to log out during a fight, only some old mmos did that but nowadays you cant, except using alt + f4 but then youre still logged in for couple minutes before the auto log-off kicks in.

During a journey in your ship you probably log of with your ship, kinda like everything you have and touch while logging out is also gone with you.

The idea with the ship staying there is fun but spews trouble. Disconnects and other connection issues will happen, either your or server side, and when youre flying around and you suddenly get a dc your ship would be there. Maybe it would crash down, possibly leaving a little loot on the crashsite, or it just auto-pilot lands. But then what, who knows if somebody could steal it or break it for materials.

So yeah *vanishing* on logout isnt very realistic but you will be less frustrated when coming back online and having your stuff gone.

If this game was about survival and not about building, crafting and economy then i'd say go with the ship and body that is still there when you log off.

Disappearing constructs is a very unfair mechanic for an organization which goes around capturing derelicts. The arkship will provide a safezone for protecting players and their creations. There is probably also going to be a Virtual Reality where you can design and test in a completely secure environment.

Space is a real danger, and there shouldn't be protections everywhere from those who want to play with malicious intent, which is a completely valid strategy. DU is intended to be a game with emergent organizations, and therein lies the true protection. Pirates will be scared away by the police organization. There would presumably be some sort of infrastructure associated with you and your constructs, and that too would give a kind of protection. If not, then you really should worry about where to log off since you have no recourse if your stuff does get destroyed/stolen.

Automatic shutdown is a good idea, cloak your ship as much as possible. But it's still not invulnerable or unreachable.

I like the idea of things in safe zones just logging off and disappearing or whatever, and things in dangerous zones being left floating to be pillaged by anyone lucky enough to stumble across it. 

If i leave my space ship laying around in the danger zone i should expect to log back in and re-spawn in a safe zone with empty pockets and only vague memories of a ship i once had.

persistent sandbox to me means you better hide or get safe if you want things to be there when you get back.

I like the idea of things in safe zones just logging off and disappearing or whatever, and things in dangerous zones being left floating to be pillaged by anyone lucky enough to stumble across it. 

If i leave my space ship laying around in the danger zone i should expect to log back in and re-spawn in a safe zone with empty pockets and only vague memories of a ship i once had.

persistent sandbox to me means you better hide or get safe if you want things to be there when you get back.

it makes really good sense

either you get back to the arkified area and get your ship saved / vanished or you smack a metric shit ton of guns on it, park in the danger zone, baptize it Fort Awesome and hope for the best..

it also gives more meaning to the arkifying a area with alot of work, a safe logout place attracts people and makes for a natural come together area and i guess people will arkify cities and tradeposts where solo players will need to be for protection and trade

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't think anything should "vanish", beside, maybe players.

Regarding ships:

-People will just log off in dangerous situations. A 10 sec cooldown will not always be enough, because this game is probably not gonna be just close range combat, so you'll often have 10 sec of time before the aggressor shots you. More than 10 sec cooldown is going to be annoying for people to wait. 

-You're probably gonna have more ships, spread across different planets. What's going to happen to those? Every single construct you own is going to disappear at the same time?

-What if you are a leader of a corporation and you're piloting a ship with 100 of players inside it?

It would be so frustrating and unfun, that i can't imagine this is what the devs want. 

Regarding players:

Still a player could just log off in the middle of a fight. Let's say you are winning a fight with your ship Vs his own, and he knows he's going to die. He would just take all the stuff he can from the storage, and would log off. Even in this case, the best way to balance this would probably be: when you logoff your character go sleep, and doesn't vanish. This would require for people to build escape pods, and stuff like that, and would add more depth to the building system, and to other sections of the gameplay. 

Regarding autopiloting:

My guess is that, an autopilot should be just something that gets scripted by the players. So players could come up with some system that automatically send their ship to a safe location, but I wouldn't want it to be "standard"

Regarding being harder to detect:

I feature like this could be fine as long as the ship can be detected from a relatively close range. It just can't vanish.

"And what happens, if for some reason, your internet connection trips off? The Developers have to keep this in mind as well."

Unexpected disconnects, unintentional or not,  could be handled by characters "Blacking out" or otherwise passing out in their location.

Give them a debuff timer, where other players can come over and by some means, medical or not, refresh the timer for a set number of resets.

If their timer expires, they die and go to the or their bound Res Node.

Perhaps we can look for asking for hibernacles, and a drag system. Drag the unconscious players to a hibernacle, put them in, freeze them until they log back in?

Unexpected disconnects, unintentional or not,  could be handled by characters "Blacking out" or otherwise passing out in their location.

Give them a debuff timer, where other players can come over and by some means, medical or not, refresh the timer for a set number of resets.

If their timer expires, they die and go to the or their bound Res Node.

Perhaps we can look for asking for hibernacles, and a drag system. Drag the unconscious players to a hibernacle, put them in, freeze them until they log back in?

Maybe but doing so in something like a safe zone seems more like a pain than anything else. Maybe have something like a bound bed and when in a safe zone that has a bed (or maybe beds for rent?) your character travels to that bed or area by itself when disconnected. Thats only for more RP than I normally like though as in a safe zone i would prefer if you just vanish or fade out as its safe so it really shouldn't matter. when you log back in it could be in the same place or a set area. I do think it should be similar to how you describe outside of a safe zone though maybe just not the timer till you die or at least not a short one (few days?)

• 2 weeks later...

I see another Problem with making a ship disappear when logging off.

Lets say i did Build i Big ship, which accts like a Big Market.
Some Highly develloped Drones, to secure my ship, and hire some People all around the world, to Guarde my ship.
Just like a Moving Space Market.

If my ship disappears that would bring a lot of trouble.

I for myself like the cryo thing. Maybe building an automated shig, which will stay in an orbit for some time.
But if i want to get a low risk, of loosing my ship, i think you will have to go to a save place.

It would be cool, if one needs to get the right, to sleep(log off) in a save zone, or something else, but logging back in after a week, and realising that the whole planet you logged of last week, is now owned by the enemy would be a big pain in the ass.

I think in this case, you should be able to choose, to be teleported somewhere save (maybe without your ship).

Of if something like that happend you would get something like a save traveling for some amount of time, where you will be able to move you ass to some place more save, but acting in PvP should deactivate this imediatly.

I pretty much agree with this. When you log out, your character passes out and your ship does w/e it was doing. If you are the current pilot of the ship maybe stop the ship.

I see no reason to kill the player for logging out unless they would have died staying logged in. Basically logged in or out the worlds interaction with your character doesn't change.

Something like a stasis pod should be optionally used to make it harder for you to be killed. Just a high armor shell that people have to destroy to get to you.