Pistons, Joints, Compartments and Building mode.

Icarus

I dont know exactly whats in the game already, but iv always thought it could be interesting to have deployable weapons on ships hidden behind compartment doors... when they open a piston pushes them out or a joint pulls them out of the compartment for use. This would also help with giving ships a more smooth design for smaller ships and also for diplomatic reasons, ships could essentially "holster" their weapons to show a sign of no-hostility. 

Also, multiple building modes would be helpful... 

The normal building mode: Place the transparent blue block and it becomes and object

Blueprint mode: Any Transparent blocks you place stay transparent until you change back to normal mode, this way changing things will be easier.

Cut-away mode: the option to pull sections of the ship off in order to get to the inside parts... this would make it easier to upgrade parts or simply change things on this inside rather than having to delete parts and have to replace them.

Well, welcome to the forums Icarus. You yourself are interested in pistons, joins, compartments and building mode, so let me answer them in that order.

Note, my references are the dev blog and various other sources that we have received over time. As well, anything I can not directly answer, I will make assumptions as to what may be the case.

Pistons and Joints: Currently we have no confirmation of such things. I imagine though that with the implementation of such things such as large scale ships, we will see some sort of constructs with similar mechanics to these. As such, in some trailers and footage we have seen from the game, there are massive ships that would possibly hold fighters or some other stuff inside it. When we imagine this as the case, we can guess that pistons, joints and/or similar objects would be added into the game.

Compartments would come along with pistons and joins I imagine as well. If there were to be compartments, it would have to be added in by the players I imagine. Probably also controlled via a lua script as well. It is concluded that this has a very good likelihood of being in the game.

Building Mode: There is no confirmed "building mode", however, we have seen some indication of building mechanics. During the E3 trailer, we saw how building would possibly work. As well, in a dev posted video here on the forums(I won't link to it but you can probably find it), we saw some mechanics of how building would be achieved, which would work similar to your "normal building mode" idea. I imagine as well, that with the building mechanics we have so far seen, building mode will be pretty easy to use. You should be able to change blocks quickly and there should be no real problem. As well, if you want to go into some more building mechanics, you have the dev blog for building here.

Hope this answers your question and not, all things I say are subject to be proven wrong unless stated by the devs themselves.