LUA Communication.

Kytheum

Imagine if there was functionality to contact other ships with LUA. Or even connect to them to send packets of data which can Control the ship or simply send an order. Imagine being in one ship sand sending a request to open a voice channel to speak to whoever owns it. It would be great to have some form of wireless scripting. So maybe I can send a key to a ship of mine which disables it if it's stolen? I feel this can be a creative aspect to explore as many organisation can make heavy use of it. 

Similar to Computercraft which is a Minecraft Mod. They use a small function known as rednet to communicate to other devices. 

What do you think?

-Moving this suggestion to a new one with all the details + a poll.

Hail them.

I cant imagine cross ship communication won't be an option in the game. As for controlling the ships remotely, that sounds like drone control which is totally something that will end up in the game at some point, otherwise all processes would have to be manual.

But yeah sending Lua scripts to other ships, for whatever purpose (even some kind of hacking perhaps), is an awesome idea and I hope it's implemented early!

Hail them.

I cant imagine cross ship communication won't be an option in the game. As for controlling the ships remotely, that sounds like drone control which is totally something that will end up in the game at some point, otherwise all processes would have to be manual.

But yeah sending Lua scripts to other ships, for whatever purpose (even some kind of hacking perhaps), is an awesome idea and I hope it's implemented early!

Well I guess messages could be sent similar to this

rednet.sendpacket(id, "This is a message.")

and then the id of the ship can be collected via LUA scripting. The ship can then use a function to check for packets and if found it can convert the message and process it. This could also start business's for communications companys to install communications equitment in ships.

A Ship could check and enact on a message like:

if rednet.read == "self destruct 44889Q" then
    self_destruct()
end

Simple! Ship communication would make sense using LUA code. That rednet example there is a very simple thing to do, and most pople who know lua know how to do it.

So then, use it! LUA is already a heavy element in Dual Universe. Using it to hail the ships and send contact codes is the best option in my opinion. As well, it allows programs to be run depending on the signal made. You could initiate production on an assembly line using stuff like this. Therefor, it would only make sense to have it. The devs probably already do have it infact.

However, for user friendliness, for much of the communication, you'll probably be able to get away with a built-in system by the devs.

Im glad to see this thread! I registered to this forum to ask more or less the same question or the make this a wish!

I saw the Kickstarter page and i really liked what i've seen. But i did not put some money into it because i don't know if wireless communication will be

a thing in the final product. It would be awesome to have a very simple frame/packet based communication option available, maybe via a module of

some sort. On top of this very simple communication, players could implement own protocols to serve there special needs or the rebuild tcp/ip to

create there own little internet :D

What i really would love to see is remote ship control with custom created 'board computer software', protected with self implemented encryption to

make it harder for others to intercept the communication. An other use case would be to create small micro outposts with some scanners and sensors

which can tell you what and how many ships passed by.

Sure there a some open questions, like what should the range of such a wireless connector be? How expensive is such a wireless connector?

But anyway, it would be awesome to hear if something generic like this is planned, because this would be the reason for me to buy the game.

What i can think of is some kind of broadcast (like actual wireless communication), players in a certain range can see and respond to the broadcast

messages. These messages have to be generic in a way that players can use them for more abstract ways of communication.

Is there more in depth information on all this Scripting thing available somewhere?

Thanks for reading!

It also means separate resources for drones are not required since it can be compiled into one function. The devs wouldn't need to make separate objects, textures and sounds to make a drone block since you can already do it with regular ships if this existed.

this is an amazing idea, i would add that you would have modules that allow you to intercept and modify packets, and do spying stuff :D

That would also be great because then people would make encryption and there would be more challenges for programmers and more possibilities.

• 3 months later...