Mech Suits

TrihXeen

I saw a twitter post that got me thinking... What would be the possibilities of having mech suits in the game.

Anything from exo-skeletons that help with explorations, to mechs like those in Mobile Suit Gundam, or the Gardes from Knights of Sidonia.

I specifically like the Mechs from Knights of Sidonia, since they are able to link together to travel through space faster. I believe this would add yet another play style to the game, whilst making it a harder thing to achieve. Maybe some super rare tech in the game.

More coming of this from me, once I get my thoughts on it together. Got some other things I'm focusing on at the moment.

i think it would more depend on if we have voxel joints in the game and how well we can control them. i wouldnt say its not a possibility but i have a feeling that while we the players could possibly build them i dont think it will be possible at first launch. might be a future upgrade type thing

Nyzaltar has said they don't have anything against us trying to make mechs, but as for their actual usefulness that is up in the air.

I would really enjoy if at some point we could have mobile infantry suits, armored exoskeletons / power suits. Even if they didnt have any extra effect just for looks would be nice.

Nyzaltar has said they don't have anything against us trying to make mechs, but as for their actual usefulness that is up in the air.

I would really enjoy if at some point we could have mobile infantry suits, armored exoskeletons / power suits. Even if they didnt have any extra effect just for looks would be nice.

im starting to think of titanfall now lol

I think the point here isnt can we make them but why?We are alone on a new world, perhaps worlds after a while. Who do you need to fight? Do you need a mechsuit to hunt deer or bison? I think not. If there were aliens with advanced technology trying to throw us out of their systems, maybe, but other than that mechs would be not needed during the exploration and domesticating of a new world.

im starting to think of titanfall now lol

lol you should read the laser designator post... I agree that mechs would be cool, and if things like rotors and pistons are introduced they in theory would be absolutely possible. I can imagine that the controll script that youd have to write to controll it might be a bit complicated. But the des also said that AI would at least at some level be in the game as well... maybe it could be scripted to help.

Titanfall incoming :)

lol you should read the laser designator post... I agree that mechs would be cool, and if things like rotors and pistons are introduced they in theory would be absolutely possible. I can imagine that the controll script that youd have to write to controll it might be a bit complicated. But the des also said that AI would at least at some level be in the game as well... maybe it could be scripted to help.

i see this being a major update after the original game release. i see alot of our suggestions being implemented in the games lifetime after release. but i would love to see some arena mech battles lol

i see this being a major update after the original game release. i see alot of our suggestions being implemented in the games lifetime after release. but i would love to see some arena mech battles lol

agreed that would be pretty epic

If you could actually write a script to do this for the in game AI, realistically, said person would actually be worth millions in their knowledge.  Keep in mind any mech game you see is not actually doing any real calculations for movement or balance.  It's all a facsimile.  If you actually manage it.  Post me.  I have some people in exo-skeleton engineering and robotics who will want to talk with you.

I think the point here isnt can we make them but why?We are alone on a new world, perhaps worlds after a while. Who do you need to fight? Do you need a mechsuit to hunt deer or bison? I think not. If there were aliens with advanced technology trying to throw us out of their systems, maybe, but other than that mechs would be not needed during the exploration and domesticating of a new world.

Yes, I need to fight. It's a mech suit! I would bring in such a huge haul if I hunted with it. On the contrary, they would be perfect for everything you are saying.

1.) Cheaper defensive options, compared to turrets and the such.

2.) Hunting with them might be overboard, but with the tech, you could camouflage it to look like a tree. Then, use it for a perch to shoot from.

3.) They would be perfect for exploration and domesticating. Specifically, cheaper to explore with. Instead of ships/cars or what not. Could you imagine the work that would get done if you had people in mech suits helping you build and move resources? 

If you could actually write a script to do this for the in game AI, realistically, said person would actually be worth millions in their knowledge.  Keep in mind any mech game you see is not actually doing any real calculations for movement or balance.  It's all a facsimile.  If you actually manage it.  Post me.  I have some people in exo-skeleton engineering and robotics who will want to talk with you.

EXACTLY I was throwing the idea out there, not as something for us to code in game, but something that exists that can be altered for looks/functionality. I've already gone through the thought process you guys have, and I think if they were in the game, it would need to be pre-made. Unless..... We had it controlled by..... a.....

MULTI-CREW OMG WE NEED TO RECREATE THE POWER RANGERS OR VOLTRON OR BOTH!!!!!

tumblr_mgqmmppb3J1rtullvo1_1280.jpg392342-voltron.jpg?thumb=y

Ah TrihXeen,  you give me faith in humanities survival in these brave new worlds.  I actually wondered a little after my last post here if something could be simulated with thrusters and scripting, something to keep the mech floating at a certain height from the ground, with legs only functioning as shock absorbers as they step forward. IF the scripting and AI is robust enough to allow that we could pull of a reasonable facsimile I think.

Well after going through the Distributed Processing Units Post I can see making a simpler Mech construct being very easy to get to. Take the game "ChromeHounds" for instance. There were bi-pedal, quadra-ped, wheeled, and hover style Mechs with multiple types of modular cockpits and weapons that were attachable. For DU purposes you could manufacture a DPU that could handle the simple actions of articulation. A leg just needs to be programmed with the movement patterns and situational actions. Then just invert some of that coding and you would have a bi-pedal leg system. Most functions can also have analogue components. Your everyday car computer doesn't do anything to control the shocks or steering of a car. That is all just handled with simple hydraulics. 

Mech's in DU could be completely modular and not require much more coding than just the individual pieces coming with the coding for itself, then just porting that over to the Cockpit DPU for control interface. Pressing W on your keyboard could just initiate a very long string of macros connected together to produce movement. Guns could focus on where the mouse is located on screen so the arms would just articulate based on that XY on screen coordinate. Hands could just be bound to clinch and unclinch a full or semi open fist to grab objects with handles (Moving cargo around)or (Grabbing a rifle).

Here is some Chromehounds concept art to get a visual of what I mean.

CH00046.jpg

The way i look at it the fact that there is going to be PVP is reason enough to try and build something that potentially would give you an advantage over your fellow players.

The fact that certain people will specialize in different things like exploration, ship building etc... well maybe mech suits would be valuable to an explorer to help on a hostile planet (lora and fauna) or a lack of atmosphere etc...

Could help with mining or construction for ship builders.

The whole premise of this gaem is your creativity should come through, so your question is why, my question is why not...

Well after going through the Distributed Processing Units Post I can see making a simpler Mech construct being very easy to get to. Take the game "ChromeHounds" for instance. There were bi-pedal, quadra-ped, wheeled, and hover style Mechs with multiple types of modular cockpits and weapons that were attachable. For DU purposes you could manufacture a DPU that could handle the simple actions of articulation. A leg just needs to be programmed with the movement patterns and situational actions. Then just invert some of that coding and you would have a bi-pedal leg system. Most functions can also have analogue components. Your everyday car computer doesn't do anything to control the shocks or steering of a car. That is all just handled with simple hydraulics. 

Mech's in DU could be completely modular and not require much more coding than just the individual pieces coming with the coding for itself, then just porting that over to the Cockpit DPU for control interface. Pressing W on your keyboard could just initiate a very long string of macros connected together to produce movement. Guns could focus on where the mouse is located on screen so the arms would just articulate based on that XY on screen coordinate. Hands could just be bound to clinch and unclinch a full or semi open fist to grab objects with handles (Moving cargo around)or (Grabbing a rifle).

Here is some Chromehounds concept art to get a visual of what I mean.

CH00046.jpg

I really, really hope the Devs consider this. It's perfect.

I would actually prefer something more agile, but anything that helps me gather resources and explore would be nice. Something besides flying around a planet in the ship would give more immersion, IMO.

I would actually prefer something more agile, but anything that helps me gather resources and explore would be nice. Something besides flying around a planet in the ship would give more immersion, IMO.

i agree, unless they make it small and agile enough to be able to work around my "base" or station. For instance if go mining in using my molecular deconstructor and lets say i can carry 1000m3 but i can put on an exo suit and carry 10,000m3 and can mine that amount in the same time or fast than the 1000m3 with no suite then it is certainly worth my time to try and engineer and build one.

It would also have to show some sort of worthwhile advantage over something like a mining ship. On planets i imagine that the simple way to make it more useful than a ship would be something like fuel. A ship holding itself in a hover would eat a lot more fuel than something that uses gravity to its advantage.

I can also see it being better for exploring on planets or asteroids where space is tight. something that can articulate itself into essentially different shapes, could be beneficial in say tunnels and caves.

That and there are so many people requesting them by now. Originally, the Devs of SE were not planning on adding planets. The only reason they did was because so many people requested them. Hopefully the Devs of DU see the request early on and make a decision now.