moving aroud the verse

ODINxKANE

So i apologize if this has been asked, i tried to go through the forums beforehand. Will there be numerous ways to get out into the outer reaches of the universe? The best i could find was that the Devs are considering a few different possobilities.

If i may throw in my 2 cents, i like the idea of FTL drives that can push you forward x amount of distance or two a certain spot within a range based off your ships fuel and FTL drives capabilities. This type of propulsion seems to me to fit the explorer role the best

the other type that would benefit colonization and industrialists groups would be to build and maintain point to point jump gates making it possible to quickly travel a route consistently without the need for FTL jump drives.

The last Form of travel that i like the idea of would be something along the lines of wormholes, allowing players to make essentially blind jumps in a wormhole that has a lifespan. For example maybe it will only last a month, maybe it will only last a week. Either waay at some point that wormhole will close and if your on the other side you may be out a very long way. On the same token these may be useful for players who want to get a long way away from the start point and start thier lives in the distant reaches far removed from others.

I hope that the devs are looking at more than one type of travel, i think that a variety would make the game more engaging over the long run.

Again sorry if this has been hammered out, if it has disregard my post, if it hasnt leave your thoughts and lets get some good discussion going on it.

i think this is either semi confirmed or atleast discussed alot already. but as we have alot of threads i dont blame you if you didnt find right away lol.

i think the 2 forms of travel is going to be FTL and "stargates". the FTL drives are for "slower" travel while stargates are for almost instant travel.

think some of us have discussed having to set up our own stargate systems either actual stargates or some of us have discussed cowboy bebop style warp gates. also being talk about jump drives on larger ships

It was said that they intend players to need a very long of time to get to a different solar system, so we will most likely not get mobile FTL engines.

going 100 light years away with FTL travel will still take a good amount of time. FTL would be the base mode of transportation between solar systems while sub light speeds would be for inside a system

going 100 light years away with FTL travel will still take a good amount of time. FTL would be the base mode of transportation between solar systems while sub light speeds would be for inside a system

ok, its possible to see it this way. ^^

I agree FTL drives of some sort would seem to be a requirement for system to system. For explorers that go bneyond space around the starting area it seems like it would be mandatory, because if its new space, how would there be star gates?

they said they'd shrink the universe, so i figured the next star could be a few lightmonths away, thus allowing us with sub light engines to reach it after a long while.

i dont know about you but moving at sublight over a distance of light months, will still take months. I cant see that being a viable game option. I would still imagine that there would have to be some sort of FTL that would happen to turn those lightmonths into lightminutes or lightseconds.

right you have to remember that a light month is the time it takes going at the speed of light to travel 1 month. if we are doing sublight speed then it would actually take years to go a few light months. the sun is 8 light mins away from earth yet it would take months to get to it (if you had such a weird desire) even currently nasa and other space agencies are trying to find out ways to get to mars and currently it would take 2 months of travel to get to mars....and mars is the closet celestial body to earth other than the moon. so we need to have FTL to travel outside of a system. if you think of the mass effect games you used sublight travel to go around in a system then to go to a different system in a local cluster/nebula you used FTL and to travel to a diffrent cluster or area of the galaxy you had to use the mass relay which warped you through hyperspace. 

edit: to give you an idea of sheer size even if the game isnt to scale. 8 light mins is 1 au which is roughly 150 million km or 93 million miles

right you have to remember that a light month is the time it takes going at the speed of light to travel 1 month. if we are doing sublight speed then it would actually take years to go a few light months. the sun is 8 light mins away from earth yet it would take months to get to it (if you had such a weird desire) even currently nasa and other space agencies are trying to find out ways to get to mars and currently it would take 2 months of travel to get to mars....and mars is the closet celestial body to earth other than the moon. so we need to have FTL to travel outside of a system. if you think of the mass effect games you used sublight travel to go around in a system then to go to a different system in a local cluster/nebula you used FTL and to travel to a diffrent cluster or area of the galaxy you had to use the mass relay which warped you through hyperspace. 

edit: to give you an idea of sheer size even if the game isnt to scale. 8 light mins is 1 au which is roughly 150 million km or 93 million miles

Exactly, ike i said if systems were light months away and no FTL i think interest in exploring would dwindle very quickly. God forbid you wanted to go galaxy to galaxy...

Elite dangerous pretty well nailed this one as far as sublight vs warp, inside the system you were able to move around at the speed of light so getting from one side to the other might take 10 minutes depending on if you got to close to something like a planet or star and its mass slowed you down. Which is another point i hope they add into the game, mass and gravity slowing you down at sublight.

right you have to remember that a light month is the time it takes going at the speed of light to travel 1 month. if we are doing sublight speed then it would actually take years to go a few light months.

Thats not correct, sub light only means slower than c0, it doesnt mean it has to be extremely slower. It is completely realistic that, with a proper engine, a distance of 1 ly would take 1,5 years. The most limiting effects actually don't happen till you're really close to the maximum.

As i said in a different topic, i think its fine if people need a traveltime from 24h+ up to 100h+ ingame to get to a different solar system, which is doable if they shrink the universe as they said. (ofc. the distances would be unrealistic, but u can't keep everything realistic and at least we dont need some weird, unrealistic ftl concepts)

Thats not correct, sub light only means slower than c0, it doesnt mean it has to be extremely slower. It is completely realistic that, with a proper engine, a distance of 1 ly would take 1,5 years. The most limiting effects actually don't happen till you're really close to the maximum.

As i said in a different topic, i think its fine if people need a traveltime from 24h+ up to 100h+ ingame to get to a different solar system, which is doable if they shrink the universe as they said. (ofc. the distances would be unrealistic, but u can't keep everything realistic and at least we dont need some weird, unrealistic ftl concepts)

i do agree with it takins some time, hours though not days, for a different system, but anything beyond that i think people will loose interest very quickly. At that point it would feel like a cheap phone game if i was an explorer, id log in set a destination that takes 3 days (72 hours) to get to and log back off... no fun in doing that. But if it takes 3 hours to get there, i can tool around on my ship, research things, redecorate my living quarters, or just take my wife out to lunch in the real world and come back and within a reasonable amount of time start exploring something new.

you are also assuming FTL is double the speed of light. much like there are different versions of supersonic speed there are different kinds of FTL. in your example to travel 1 light year at FTL might take 11 months still. we know that the ark ship was traveling at sub light so in 10k years we probably didnt get very far which is why there are more habitable planets than the one we first get too. my assumption is that its going to take considerable research, for early game, to be able to build a hyper drive to hit FTL speeds. might take a week to a month plus depending on individuals. but to travel between star systems using FTL and not using a gate that sends you into a subspace or hyperspace ,where you can do 1 light year in an hr or less, might still take you a few hours to do. if each hour of time traveled in FTL is equated to 1 month of light travel if you would make it scale then to travel 8 light months away will still take 8 hours of FTL travel. 

you are also assuming FTL is double the speed of light. much like there are different versions of supersonic speed there are different kinds of FTL. in your example to travel 1 light year at FTL might take 11 months still. we know that the ark ship was traveling at sub light so in 10k years we probably didnt get very far which is why there are more habitable planets than the one we first get too. my assumption is that its going to take considerable research, for early game, to be able to build a hyper drive to hit FTL speeds. might take a week to a month plus depending on individuals. but to travel between star systems using FTL and not using a gate that sends you into a subspace or hyperspace ,where you can do 1 light year in an hr or less, might still take you a few hours to do. if each hour of time traveled in FTL is equated to 1 month of light travel if you would make it scale then to travel 8 light months away will still take 8 hours of FTL travel. 

mildly disconcerting considering the fact that our closest star is alpha centauri and its 4.22 light years away. I suppose my biggest issue with the idea is that in game we supposedly have backpacks that allow for molecular re-arangment, we can carry thousands of tons of stuff in belt pouches, but cant get anywhere off planet quickly. I would assume that the ark ship was at sublight, but that in 10k years research may have happened allowing for FTL just not able to incoporate itinto the ARK ship. I dont know, the DEVs will have to dictate this more in depth, but like i said i believe that if you make it a rediculous amount of time to travel from one system to the other you will have a lot of players loose interest quickly. On the same token though i dont want to instantly travel to a new system either, so a happy medium needs to be found.

mildly disconcerting considering the fact that our closest star is alpha centauri and its 4.22 light years away. I suppose my biggest issue with the idea is that in game we supposedly have backpacks that allow for molecular re-arangment, we can carry thousands of tons of stuff in belt pouches, but cant get anywhere off planet quickly. I would assume that the ark ship was at sublight, but that in 10k years research may have happened allowing for FTL just not able to incoporate itinto the ARK ship. I dont know, the DEVs will have to dictate this more in depth, but like i said i believe that if you make it a rediculous amount of time to travel from one system to the other you will have a lot of players loose interest quickly. On the same token though i dont want to instantly travel to a new system either, so a happy medium needs to be found.

FTL is a thing by the time the ark ship left earth, the ark ship had to travel at sub light not because it couldnt hit FTL but the energy require would mean that the arkship would not be able to divert energy to the stasis pods to keep us alive

a little math for ya if we were to travel to alpha Centauri at 150,000 mph it would take approx. 17,900 years to reach. the fastest we have ever made something man made go was a little over 30,000 miles per hour, unless you take into account a man hole cover that was ejected from a hole that held a nuclear bomb detonation.

a little math for ya if we were to travel to alpha Centauri at 150,000 mph it would take approx. 17,900 years to reach. the fastest we have ever made something man made go was a little over 30,000 miles per hour, unless you take into account a man hole cover that was ejected from a hole that held a nuclear bomb detonation.

true. but in the entire life time of the engine we have gone from a few miles an hour to 30,000 in a relatively quick time in our history. im giving our future selves in the game the benefit of the doubt that if than can create a device with nanobots that shrink anything and store it in a arm band we can go a bit quicker than 150,000 miles an hour. and that the belief is in the reality of the game the universe it a bit closer together.

true. but in the entire life time of the engine we have gone from a few miles an hour to 30,000 in a relatively quick time in our history. im giving our future selves in the game the benefit of the doubt that if than can create a device with nanobots that shrink anything and store it in a arm band we can go a bit quicker than 150,000 miles an hour. and that the belief is in the reality of the game the universe it a bit closer together.

i agree whole heartedly, i cant see a game like this without a decent FTL

you are also assuming FTL is double the speed of light.  [...]  will still take 8 hours of FTL travel. 

a) no i don't, i assume FTL via stargat is pretty much instant. 

b ) 8 hour ftl is far to short, if its only 8 hours the players can potentially discover thousands of planets per day, which definitely is not intended, because even if we get 10k+ players, they would spread much to far.

You have to balance the ingame experience with the gameplay, ofc for explorers it would be nice to have thousands of planets, for everyone else not tho. Additionally, don't forget, that the planets are very big too, there is not only space exploration.

If you introduce a proper, mobile, FTL with which you can reach other solar systems within hours then the playerbase will thin out far to fast, and thats why i think its reasonable if players need several days of ingame time to reach a different solar system, and for that you dont need ftl (we don't talk about reality here, the solar systems won't be several lighthours in diameter either).

What if FTL speed isn't the limiting factor, but fuel.

Let's say a ship has a tank large enough to get to two stars. Well with that you can't go very far in one go. So as you go you have to set up fuel collectors which require materials you need to find.

In theory this should still keep warpgates as the main form of interstellar transportation,while promoting colonization and exploration is still a possibility, especially if you setup warpgates to help create these collectors quicker.

And if that is still too quick, maybe collector has to collect fuel over time.

What if FTL speed isn't the limiting factor, but fuel.

Let's say a ship has a tank large enough to get to two stars. Well with that you can't go very far in one go. So as you go you have to set up fuel collectors which require materials you need to find.

that might indeed be a good way to reduce the exploration speed.