Gunners & Turrets

Ataren

I have searched for quite a while and haven't found any information on it whatsoever. My question is - if combat will be "lock on like EVE", will there be a "class" of a gunners that controls set of turrets firing upon the enemy, or will the system be fully automated? 

Basically you just "target" the ship and then it engages in combat, automatically aiming and shooting. I was wondering if there will be "classes" that will either directly control or indirectly provide help for turret systems but I found in one devblog about multi-crew about "left board side turret controler" or something like this, well, we will see.

Basically you just "target" the ship and then it engages in combat, automatically aiming and shooting. I was wondering if there will be "classes" that will either directly control or indirectly provide help for turret systems but I found in one devblog about multi-crew about "left board side turret controler" or something like this, well, we will see.

So it's going to be like Eve? I kind of hope players would have full control of their weapons .. The Eve game play just isn't appealing to me.  That's kind of a deal breaker for me. OH well you guys have fun. 

I understand that people may have wanted manual targeting, but making a choice like that so quickly is doing yourself a dis-favor. If you really feel that way though, so be it, the game is better off if people stay real about whats possible and don't lose their minds in hype. I've already seen a good number of people putting words in NQ's mouth that they have never even suggested would be something in the game, not in this thread but other places.

Understand people in new Zealand might be fighting people in Sweden. It isnt realistic to think everyone could play the game in an enjoyable way like this. People nearest the servers would always have a huge advantage, and people far away would always appear to lag.

By creating a lock on system it allows a much higher tolerance on ping times, and reduces some of the calculations the servers have to make. Allowing us players, to actually enjoy playing the game. Instead of screaming at our gunners for missing all the time.

Related to the actual turrets, people should not expect unrealistic things out of the destruction of buildings or ships. while the construction process may be modular and based around voxels. Its entirely possible once a building is finalized it does not crumble or destroy voxel by voxel, but rather has a designated health amount.

I will urge them to use such a system, and leave the blueprint of buildings intact, to facilitate an easier time repairing buildings. While players may be interested in rebuilding things block by block. think about large ships, do you want to spend days or weeks repairing or replacing every voxel.

Or would you rather a underlying blueprint stay in place and allow for players to bring the required resources to rebuild or repair something, and "wrench" or welder it back together.

I am fairly positive they intend to allow players to target ships subsystems and modules, but Just think, if they are holding back on an open and free targeting system for processing. Then by a considerable degree modular destruction will not be very likely if you consider the computational power of one hundred ships free firing, and one hundred ships all being blown into tiny pieces regardless of the targeting system.