Diversity of Sub-FTLPropulsion Methods

bdole92

I don't know if anything has been said along these lines, but something i would really like to see in the game is a diversity of propulsion methods. By that i mean that different propulsion methods that have different benefits and drawbacks, and can drastically change the design of the ships they are used in. Obviously to get around at any reasonable speed any method will have to be suitably "science-fictioned" but there are a lot of real life methods to draw inspiration from, including Nuclear Thermal, Ion, Chemical engines of various flavours, and my favorite Solar Sails

The reason that i think having different propulsion methods available to the players would be a good design choice is because it adds an additional element of decision making whenever you start to build a space ship. Is your ship Nuclear Thermal? Great, you can combine your power source with your engine! Are you building a Solar Sail probe to fly around and collect data for you? Better make sure you pack enough Solar panels/RTGs! Every time you add a meaningful decision making point, you improve player experience and, given the games very builder-friendly nature, i think a diversity of propulsion options would do just that.

Here are a few ideas that might work for both diversity and sufficient performance.

Z-pinch Fusion Rocket:  A stream of your preferred fuel type is magnetically compressed until it undergoes fusion.  The nozzle in this case is an open cage-like design; exhaust temperature is so high that a physical material could not withstand direct contact with it so you need to contain and direct the exhaust using magnetic fields instead.  This system would likely have high efficiency but not the best thrust to weight ratio (at least out of the systems on this list).  Electrical energy can be produced by placing an MHD generator in line with the exhaust, conveniently requiring no moving parts.

Gas Core Nuclear Thermal Rocket:  A nuclear rocket run hot enough to vaporize its fissile material.  The exhaust temperature is theoretically within the limits of certain materials so a magnetic nozzle is unnecessary; this one can use the more conventional bell nozzle.  It is likely to have a superior thrust to weight ratio compared to a fusion rocket but inferior efficiency.  Electrical energy can be produced by diverting some of the exhaust to drive a turbine connected to a generator.

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion (AKA Orion Drive):  Nuclear shaped-charge warheads are rapidly detonated below a pusher plate to propel the space ship.  This is probably the least flexible of the designs; the only throttle control involves swapping out the nuclear warheads, precision is very limited given the bursts of thrust rather than continuous thrust and it is very difficult to use this drive to produce electrical energy... but when you need high acceleration there is really no substitute.

Of course all three of these designs present a significant radiation hazard to both the crew and anyone nearby.  The Orion obviously spreads radioactive material with each activation and the GCNTR produces radioactive byproducts which may or may not be expelled depending on whether an open-cycle or closed-cycle design is used but I don't know whether we'll have to worry about that in the game.