arkification

Andrewdagamer

An interesting idea I have about arkification is that, on the arkship there could be an NPC that would sell these tokens for massive amounts of money and there would only be one per player, they can't be sold between players, you can only arkify your TU, and if you de-arkify you lose the token and must buy another(this process would take a long time and can be canceled at any point). mainly so that pvp gameplay can be hurt as little as possible. What do you think.   

An interesting idea I have about arkification is that, on the arkship there could be an NPC that would sell these tokens for massive amounts of money and there would only be one per player, they can't be sold between players, you can only arkify your TU, and if you de-arkify you lose the token and must buy another(this process would take a long time and can be canceled at any point). mainly so that pvp gameplay can be hurt as little as possible. What do you think.   

Ehm... I am a bit confused with what you mean.

Arkifaction, in my opinion, isn't something that should be achievable by individual people. It should require the coordinated effort of at least a medium sized organization, and represent a significant investment in resources. Otherwise, it becomes trivial. In a multiplayer format like a large MMO the benefits, which are great, must be outweighed by proportionally heavy costs

Arkifaction, in my opinion, isn't something that should be achievable by individual people. It should require the coordinated effort of at least a medium sized organization, and represent a significant investment in resources. Otherwise, it becomes trivial. In a multiplayer format like a large MMO the benefits, which are great, must be outweighed by proportionally heavy costs

Arkified areas, as a mechanic, are there specifically to protect individual players from those medium sized groups, not to give even more power to large organizations. The whole idea is to have a place where non-pvp play can occur without worrying about griefers. 

It has already been stated, that to arkify an area, you would have to find an artifact from alien ruins and what not. This means it is an extremely rare find. They also said that it prevents PVP in the territory it is used to arkify, but they aren't quiet sure how to add it to make it obtainable by people. I'm hoping it will be just like the explain it in a dev blog.

Dev blog on this subject:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/#more-468

Arkified areas, as a mechanic, are there specifically to protect individual players from those medium sized groups, not to give even more power to large organizations. The whole idea is to have a place where non-pvp play can occur without worrying about griefers. 

I have a slight disagreement. I'm not sure if this is what you are suggesting but I don't think you should be able to arkify an area as an individual player. Arkification needs to be a cooperative effort that takes a huge amount of resources, energy, and time. Otherwise you end up with too many arkified areas all devoted to tiny groups of players.

It has already been stated, that to arkify an area, you would have to find an artifact from alien ruins and what not. This means it is an extremely rare find. They also said that it prevents PVP in the territory it is used to arkify, but they aren't quiet sure how to add it to make it obtainable by people. I'm hoping it will be just like the explain it in a dev blog.

Dev blog on this subject:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/#more-468

"and we have not yet decided precisely how and if it can be integrated in the game"

"One idea we are playing with is that [...] a mysterious item that can be used to enhance a Territory Unit to the “arkified” status."

it may or may not be a findable object

but i'd personally do arkification another way.

instead of it being an object that you place somewhere, arkification is dependent on how well the planet / city is connected to the "mainland" of the ark territory.

for example personell sized jumpgates could be used for that purpose

an area becomes arkified if it gets connected to the ark by (a series of) ground based jump gates.

so the arkified areas are always connected to the "main empire" by safe pathways which can be easily traversed by any player in any stage of the game.

removing server load from the ark and still tying the whole playerbase together with the big coherent "city" thats easily traversable.

the jump gates would of course need big amounts of fuel/energy so someone could de-arkify an area by cutting off the supplies to the gate mechanisms

which would be closely guarded/monitored by the inhabitants of the respective cities.

de-arkification would enable large scale disruptions to generate new excitement for players who are in otherwise peaceful and safe areas.

it would also enable once safe areas to become less safe and peaceful due to war efforts and sabotage

in addition cities that become abandoned would automatically lose their arkified state and behave like ghost towns, instead of being safe heavens forever despite being abandoned for some reason

if they are going to be sold to any player who has the money to buy them they would need to be temporary.  say like 30 days tops, this way keeping it up indefinitely would be outrageously expensive. and if people quit playing that territory would open up to attack so redevelopment can take place.

i don't think it would be good for anyone if years after release the whole starter planet was claimed and arkified by people who no longer play.

i think a better option would be to have each planet to have a chance to spawn some sort of "ark site" like a broken crashed arkship or alien ruins. once the players make repairs or fulfill a resource requirement, whatever mechanic they decided to use for star gates would work here. then that area becomes a safe zone like the ark ship on the starter planet. the key is to make this resource requirement huge, so it has to be a communal effort to complete. this will leave something for any player who lives in the area to use and not just rich people or the most powerful organizations. i would say to put a limit of one site per planet or even solar system if any planets in that system even spawn a site.

i just think any territories that end up arkified should be public use. a perfect defense should come at its cost, in this case its the social cost of not being able to totally isolate yourself from noisy and annoying neighbors just like real cities. this would also serve to foster population centers as public arksites like this would end up being trade hubs as no one likes flying cargo ships to unsecured area's to load and unload.

i just think any territories that end up arkified should be public use. a perfect defense should come at its cost, in this case its the social cost of not being able to totally isolate yourself from noisy and annoying neighbors just like real cities. this would also serve to foster population centers as public arksites like this would end up being trade hubs as no one likes flying cargo ships to unsecured area's to load and unload.

this ^

if they are going to be sold to any player who has the money to buy them they would need to be temporary.  say like 30 days tops, this way keeping it up indefinitely would be outrageously expensive. and if people quit playing that territory would open up to attack so redevelopment can take place.

i don't think it would be good for anyone if years after release the whole starter planet was claimed and arkified by people who no longer play.

i think a better option would be to have each planet to have a chance to spawn some sort of "ark site" like a broken crashed arkship or alien ruins. once the players make repairs or fulfill a resource requirement, whatever mechanic they decided to use for star gates would work here. then that area becomes a safe zone like the ark ship on the starter planet. the key is to make this resource requirement huge, so it has to be a communal effort to complete. this will leave something for any player who lives in the area to use and not just rich people or the most powerful organizations. i would say to put a limit of one site per planet or even solar system if any planets in that system even spawn a site.

I think in the dev blog that is mentioned earlier they said that finding the alien item that would allow the arkification of an area is only part of it. the amount of energy and res needed would in theory do the same thing as if it was a temporary thing. if an group abandons a city sooner or later the power will dry up and the shield will fall. the main concern is making it so that its not impenetrable. either by having a way for someone to remote hack it or ,unlike the original ark, have it so that enough fire power brought down on the shield will over heat the generator ruining it and cause it to collapse till the generator is repaired.

I think in the dev blog that is mentioned earlier they said that finding the alien item that would allow the arkification of an area is only part of it. the amount of energy and res needed would in theory do the same thing as if it was a temporary thing. if an group abandons a city sooner or later the power will dry up and the shield will fall. the main concern is making it so that its not impenetrable. either by having a way for someone to remote hack it or ,unlike the original ark, have it so that enough fire power brought down on the shield will over heat the generator ruining it and cause it to collapse till the generator is repaired.

Another idea that I saw going around was the infiltration of the arkified area and disablement. This would mean an enemy spy or as such going in and manually disabling the ark token as whatever would be protecting the area. We know that in the lore, the reason that the main Arkship defense couldn't be disabled due to the module being protected in Kyrium. 

From Nyzaltar, in the thread on Territory Control:

- This is not a feature to give some privilege to top organizations which will have already enough resources and manpower to defend themselves.

- This is more a feature intended to keep non-PvP players protected from bullying/blackmailing/harassment/attacks that big PvP organizations could attempt on them. The feature is especially intended to protect those who want to build without being interrupted, those who just want to be shopkeepers or industrialists, and/or don't want to get PvP experience. Those kind of players need to feel safe to play the way they want to enjoy the game and participate efficiently to an emergent, player-driven economy.
- An arkified territory must stay invulnerable at all time. If there is a way to bypass it, then the feature is meaningless.

The main idea behind arkification is to give a very early opportunity for non-PvP players to build in a secure area of their choice, without being interrupted while doing so. On the other side, having entire arkified cities, even empires, is something we want to avoid (or else, the PVP will be dramatically limited). So right now, the discussion in the team about this topic is...enabling players at a personal level to have a small indestructible territory, but not allowing organizations to have some, to avoid locking large territories by this process. Furthermore, as organizations aren't tightly defined in the game (it could be a corporation as well as a nation, a player can be member of a corporation as well as a nation, etc), this would multiply risks of exploit (using the system not as it was intended) for indestructible controlled territories. However nothing is set in stone yet, and should we find (or receive from the community) solid reasons to go the opposite way, we could change our mind: we are at a stage where we can still reverse the design on this part  ;)

I hope they make it a super rare item that players will need to discover through exploration. The explorers that find them would be faced with a choice; head back to Jita Alioth and sell it on the market, or find themselves a little place in 'verse and plant some roots.

From Nyzaltar, in the thread on Territory Control:

I hope they make it a super rare item that players will need to discover through exploration. The explorers that find them would be faced with a choice; head back to Jita Alioth and sell it on the market, or find themselves a little place in 'verse and plant some roots.

That is the best case scanaio. I want items like this to provide protection to those who need it, but to also be rare so that no place is ever full of safe areas.

i would like to see the item not be able to be sold on the open market. maybe given through direct contact but i think it being on the open market could cause issues. big corps and organizations would buy them all up just cause they would have the cash flow to do so. 

an interesting workaround would be that you can set each token/artifact to cover a certain area based on the power you feed it or by linking multiple ones together. but the bigger the field the weaker it is to attacks. so a small personal ark field would be 100% indestructible while a city size one would be able to be brought down with enough fire power.

i would like to see the item not be able to be sold on the open market. maybe given through direct contact but i think it being on the open market could cause issues. big corps and organizations would buy them all up just cause they would have the cash flow to do so. 

an interesting workaround would be that you can set each token/artifact to cover a certain area based on the power you feed it or by linking multiple ones together. but the bigger the field the weaker it is to attacks. so a small personal ark field would be 100% indestructible while a city size one would be able to be brought down with enough fire power.

That's actually a good idea. NovaQuark wants to appeal to builders so one of the best ways would be to make a more personal area that's less destructible and a large area that factions and alliances are more likely to reside. Each having it's own use would be a very good decision in the right direction.

With the way that arkfields could be set up, a token might have a limited amount of power and would need to distribute it evenly among a area. That would mean you could choose an area, but the energy could only reach so far. At least, it's an idea.

That's actually a good idea. NovaQuark wants to appeal to builders so one of the best ways would be to make a more personal area that's less destructible and a large area that factions and alliances are more likely to reside. Each having it's own use would be a very good decision in the right direction.

With the way that arkfields could be set up, a token might have a limited amount of power and would need to distribute it evenly among a area. That would mean you could choose an area, but the energy could only reach so far. At least, it's an idea.

if the power is being distributed one could say the strongest point of the field is where its being casted out of the ark token and the weakest being the furthest point from the token. which in my mind would mean that an individual may be able to walk through the edge of the field and find the device with the token producing the field and sabotage it. given that no hostile actions can be taken inside of the field there would be no way to stop this person unless you were able to ban them from the area. in which case back to bring to wrought the full force of a fleet's fire power.

oh the possibilities and we are left to wonder lol

I like where this is going. Maybe add in that there can only be these tokens/artifacts can only be so close together. That way, people can't just form a grid of them and keep each other protected. Or, maybe have a multiplier on the weakness of it, based on the number of people in the organization it is affiliated with? Unless there is a super rare one for PVE zones, that is huge, then limit it to one per planet? As well as not allowing the other(not so rare) tokens/artifacts in the same hemisphere? I would personally like the protection for a zone for building/RP, even if I have to share with others. :)

If there are these Items I honestly hope they are kinda rare... :P it would be annoying otherwise

the devs are still kicking around ideas. but in the blog they said if they do have the tokens they will be rare and only found while exploring

but I did see someplace where NQ posted on a thread where they will have safe zones for non pvpers

@Tnecniw:

If it can reassure you, no, we're not making a Sci-Fi version of Ark, without Dinos ;)

There will be safe zones for those who don't wan't to have PvP activities. We won't force PvP on players, we want to avoid that at all costs.

We also plan to provide basic resources (necessary to make all the vital items or basic constructs) available in (really) huge amounts, so no one can have a monopole.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

went and found this from another thread

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/725-is-it-just-me-that-kinda-fears-it-will-become-a-sci-fi-ark/ on the second page