yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

will we have self replicating robots  

I wouldn't answer for the team but I asked wether we could create our proper NPCs or robots and they said no for human-like creation. We could create scripted robots like to make a job, and you could replicate ships thanks to a blueprint to make an automated factory.

Few quick ones....

1) How big is the universe going to be?  Number of systems planets etc? 

2) Is orbital mechanics occurring?  Like planet rotations and orbits around the sun? 

1) How big idk. It's big as it's generated as you go further

2) It will not be an orbital system, at most the planets will turn on themselves

Quest about the start of the game (day 0) when we log on will there be some cities and village already built from the backstory or are we on a different ARK?  sorry for double post my computer was being weird 

No, there is just the structure everyone is sensed to spawn into to begin with as I understood, they said same spawn for everyone. There will just be this structure (within a safe zone) and NPCs into it to guide you, that's all. You're sensed to be some cryogenized buddy from an era thousands of years into the past.

Another question, will there be a block that allows you to detach and reattach ships and components, similar to merge blocks in Space Engineers?

For this, as I played the pre-alpha I can say that two blocks made of the same material is automatically merged. To detach you need to destroy a thin part at least. I don't know about clipsing as you seem to point, that would be cool to modify ships easily and create big ones out of small single ones, how handy for a group to join, as on a space station you would clips onto...

Art question: does dual contouring of voxels need seamless textures or is it able use other texture arraigning them on the faces on the fly?

Are there any textures you will need? Some of us can do textures but can't help with out some size, format, etc info. 

There will be painting directly at the character's hand length as for structures creation. This question about textures exported into the game I have not heard about sorry. The thing is if you can export textures you could export whatever and make a ship look like anything that would not be possible to create in a normal way in this kind of world so I don't think the game will support this.

New question :

Could we have a voxel tool to place grass on our builds ? For green ecologic cities or something like this.

And maybe to place water ?

I don't know about grass but it seems it's not something that will be added to the current build. For the water thez said no, you would need to take it from the environment if there is some and there won't be any liquids on the planets.

1. Will there be blueprints to collect? (Like new decoratives AND useable items or block textures?

2. If they will be there how can i collect them? Finding blueprint-spots on a planet?

Thanks for answering and making this game! Keep on developing, im very excited ;)

1. Blueprints were said to be created by the users themselves (maybe some will be available as an example).

2. --

3. I am not in the team making this game, keep searching for your answers.

I guess its my turn to add to the pile...

1) The sun. Will it be a physical object that you can destroy? Will it have its place in the solar system or is it just added to the sky and isnt part of anything.

2) You talked about claiming land and all but what about the space that surrounds that? Can you own that or is it a "no mans land"?

3) You said every new player starts at a set planet. This causes MANY problems. What stops a major group from blockading this spawn point not letting any new players leave? Will people be able to destroy this planet, making it impossible to spawn? If it is indestructible how do you get the equipment to leave said planet? When you do magically leave this planet how do you find your own spot? (Because The nearest 1000 planets will probably get taken up quick smart). Please explain how a single spawn will work guys...

4) What will stop one group from being the almighty ruler of the game? How are you going to stop a faction from completely owning everything and obliterating all resistance?

5) How will you be able to "do your own thing"? Personally I just want to build my own stuff and have a good time making my own perfect ship and changing the landscape to encorporate a city and such. But you say that by yourself everything will be hard. I personally hate the idea of having to join a group to get stuff done. Leaders can be inactive, some will baby you so your not allowed to do a thing, some will forget about you and while you continually ask for a certain thing you get shrugged off with "you need to be more trustworthy" and that crap. I just dont find that sort of thing fun. (Just incase someone comes in with a play a different game remark: the reason i follow this game is not the faction side, but the MMO space construction/destruction.)

6) Orbiting and spnning and such. Can you orbit a planet? Do planets orbit a sun? Does this sun even maybe move around the galaxy? Or are all planets stationary?

7) In a battle you said missles are client side and decorative. Does this mean on the other teams ship they're just gonna have random magic holes in their ship from an unknown source?

8) how will sniping work on this sort of game. If you see an enemy ship far in the distance will you be able to have a long range engagement? The main problem being that the two ships are in different server slots. Will the shot hit your processing boundary and just dissapear or will projectiles also switch between servers?

Yay, more question spam to read through! (But please pick me...)

1) The sun will not be accessible, it will be either not here physically (just a light) or here but destroyable (you would die if too close). For your information, planets will not be destroyable either. There will be a solar system to begin with, with a sun and planets, and if there is another sun there will be another system, but it's already something to handle for the team to have one sun so a galaxy I don't think there will be one shortly.

2) The ownership of a land is determined by being there and protecting the item proclaiming the ownership. Ownership of space is not pre-configured as that, you could just freely protect/limit any entry into it (but space is wide, it's harsh).

3) The first-spawning spot is into a protected area (see the kickstarter video)

4) There won't be almighty ruler. Though there sure will be groups consisting of organisations with common interest (say all the dictatorship together, all the communists/republics together ...) but there won't be a giant one. And the bigger is your land you own, the bigger you will have problem securing it..

5) You can easily do your things for a little amount (I mean single ship). Doing things together is for sure easier though. You can play solo or so and have good relations as a foreigner with other nations without joining them (if they want, depends the kind...). As for the afk users more powerful in an organisation, the best is to join multiple organisations, as into groups of organisations, still every organisation is quite hard to come up with a good stable balanced relations strategy, the guys up there are here to organise too, not alone guide and lead you.

6) Good question I haven't asked about orbiting and all that comes to gravitation. I only know that into the atmosphere the gravitation is well felt: if your motor is not at full power or isn't big enough you won't leave the atmosphere.

7) ??

8) Distance is not a problem occurring the server, I mean not for the cluster of servers. It's more like you have different servers, even if you are near the zone of another one you are connected to it: the loading distance is the same wherever, but there will be a range for shoots, for the missiles idk but they maybe aren't supposed to be released (what you said in *7* btw...).

Will if I build a stargate will it be able to connect to every other stargate, or can the owner limit which stargates are able to connect to it?

All other stargates is possible (not all of them but you add them if both stargate owners wants it). The idea of stargates like this (and not only between two points you own) is interesting :)

How does/will the physics of the game work? I'm new here but I've scrolled through this thread and others and haven't found an answer to this. The ships in the previews have rear facing thrusters and that is it. Will the physics of the game require thrust in all directions to move in said directions? Additionally, how will rotation work? Is it a property bestowed upon a construct via some magical block(think gyros in space engineers), or will thrusters be used to create rotation?

Can you offer any insight into how it will work or how it already has been decided to work? 

Physics... Still a mater of questions. Each planets have their gravity, to get out of it you need a ship with enough power (reactors depending to the ship's size). The reactors provide a thrust and actual rotation (on the local x axis). Yes you need a gyro for your ship that will plant the axis (basically orientated the way the cockpit points to).

I have been considering what is said when someone makes an organization in regards to the "WARNING" message.

Will Arkships be comprised of members from their respective organizations?

At launch, when people log into Dual Universe will they be placed on the same Arkship with their organization?

Will there be multiple drop points on different planets with different Arkship comprising the members of the various organizations?

OR

Will everyone that logs in to play Dual Universe be dropped at the same Arkship on the same starting planet?

It was said to me it was like the second option, at least at the beginning, but if arkship creation are allowed, maybe new characters already into an organisation could chose where to start.

How exactly will "Star Gates" work?

-Size (Super large for ships?, just large enough for people?, Both?)

-Modular (Do I have Star Gate pieces that i put together to make the size i want or is it static?)

-Power Draw (Will It need continuous power to keep a stable 'worm hole'? Q&A 17: Friday 22th July 2016  Or will It charge up then 'teleport' you to your destination?)

They said any power-supplied equipment will need a power source (ships, jetpacks, robots). For the gates I don't know but just having a gate and using it like it won't cost anything is dumb and too easy, new buddies shouldn't be able to use the gate directly if the gate travel isn't paid by local ones they know.

Another one I just thought of, how will post-battle debris be handled? For instance, two massive warships engage in glorious battle. One ship loses a big chunk off of its left side, this is now a separate construct right? Assuming chunks blown off of the main ship do not just vanish, how will that be handled?

Having a gloating debris field after a fight with all of the dead ships would give a devastating atmosphere and it would certainly be fun to have scavengers coming in after a fight to cull the wreckage for valuable parts. However, I can see how this would potentially murder server performance.

Damn I had the very same questions striking me today. I believe they will just go wild until it collides with something else or land into a planet... if there are in outer space gravitation it's most likely the debris will end as meteors falling on planets.

[QUESTION]

Will we be able to name our AI and choose a gender (voice)? Can we develop a backstory for our individual AI or will everyone start with Aphelia?

(Also, what's the term in DU lore for that specific type of "tutorial AI"?)

I asked for AI they said there won't be possibility any soon to create our own (I don't mean robots with simple script).

The "tutorial AIs", I think you mean the NPCs giving you tutorial at the beginning of the game, in that case they are just showing you how to handle your suit (creation, destruction) before you enter the cockpit to take-off.

you stated that you could create a ship with hundreds of passengers all with jobs to do in maintaining the ship, what i wanted to know is would they all be able to walk

around while the ship is in motion/while the ship is spinning? could you land a craft of that size on the surface of a planet? 

These kind of ships are either stationary (stations) but could spin, not move, or moving at extreme low-speed. A giant ship too big would just crash by trying to land on a planet I suppose, because of the gravity (I mean planets maybe not moons).

The question may be already asked but I don't remember having seen it in the "Ask us anything" topic. Sorry if it's already asked/asked+answered.

If a player stops playing and paying his monthly subscribtion, and if a few months later he decides to replay, and if he restart paying his sub, will he get his character back ?

It looks obvlious but I'm not sure of it ^^

And another question (same intro) :

Not sure if it's already asked, but what do you plan to do against people recreating accounts to have the trial time and never pay ?

And 3rd question (same thing for [maybe asked before]) : with what materials will we be able to build ? Can we build with glass for example ?

1) I haven't asked, but it's like this in all other mmos these times

2) I haven't heard about a trial. The best way to supply a trial would be to give beta keys to each account owners (who actually paid), it's like this for BDO for example

3) I tested with iron, I think there was dirt also but I haven't used it (it was the same icon but brown). Yes, glass would be cool, with some kind of heater to get glass out of sand (everything that's in minecraft should be foreseen).

I'm sure this has bin asked by now but none the less I would like to ask could it be possible to build something like a space elevator that would be difficult to all hell to build but once built could allow players to transport materials or ships into orbit, is the engine even able to handle something like that, as well as how long do you personally think it would take to build such a thing?

Perfectyl possible to create something of this kind I suppose. Maybe it will take 1 to 10 months, again it depends if the planet spins or not. I highly would prefer if it does spin (we didn't see that in the pre-alpha build), but it will be much easier for the physics to have a sun and planets moving on themselves. In both cases (if the planet spins or not), such a construction seems possible.

My question is, will there be an "Engineer's Watch" on a multicrew ship? For example, managing shields and weapons' power output and overall management, or at least, should we expect that to be a job left to the LUA scripting?

They showed a graphical prototype of what will be the crew control centre in a large ship (actually that was a spatial station). There were screens and an 3D hologram in the middle. They said it will display what's outside (friend or foe... objects). So managing the shields and weapons yes, I believe it's without scripting needed.

Will there be some sort of aerodynamics model, or otherwise some difference between how ships maneuver in atmosphere versus how they maneuver in space?

The ships manoeuvre the same into space and in atmosphere by have to be aerodynamic to fly in the atmosphere. The fuel used in space is also not the same even though it was the same propulsion that did the job in space and on earth.

1) Can you tell us more about anchors and other mechanical blocks you're eventually planning?

2) Suppose I'm building a huge ship on a planet. Will we be able to build a piece of that ship on another planet, transport it and then merge it with the main ship body? In other words, will we be able to merge blocks entities?

3) There will be a combat system between players (without ships/stations or any construct). in other words, there will be pistols, rifles, and stuff like that to fight as a human? Will this combat be targetlocked or fps?

1)--

2) They said you could take an object and heave it into a cargo for example (you created). As we can create a voxel element onto a former one that leads to one single block element, fusing two elements created separately should be a big problem, but I didn't ask.

3)--

1: Will we have the gaming trope of Biological ships :D

2: Will we have possibility to design our cockpits?

I answer you even though your question is rather dated.

1: You see big, it's rather not probable the answer will be yes

2: Yes, with some kind of blueprints you can get out of your new design (then sell the design or manufacture this very cockpit)

I answer as I asked the team (for question 2).

lot of post here so I didn't read them all so sorry if it was asked or answered already!

Crafting I love it and Im always a craftier in any MMO i play ranging from Star wars galaxies to final fantasy 14.

1 Will there be different crafting classes or is it all skill point trees so any one can do everything as long as they have the points?

2 Also will ores have quality? will we find better iron in one deposit than the next and if so will it affect crafting?

so many questions I could ask on this topic :)

lot of post here so I didn't read them all so sorry if it was asked or answered already!

Crafting I love it and Im always a craftier in any MMO i play ranging from Star wars galaxies to final fantasy 14.

1 Will there be different crafting classes or is it all skill point trees so any one can do everything as long as they have the points?

2 Also will ores have quality? will we find better iron in one deposit than the next and if so will it affect crafting?

so many questions I could ask on this topic :)

1--> It wasn't said there will be limitations on which skills you could develop instead of another. Normally, you could develop all sorts of skills but having a specification into an organisation can be better.

2--> First time I heard of that. Good point. Everything that's relevant like that should be considered by NQ I assume. Even though it's something not implemented at first for same ores of different quality, it could be patched. Then, I think there will be different sorts of ores, suck as Iron, Carbon, Ruby, Diamond, Gold... each of them fulfilling different purposes.

EDIT: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10010-what-kind-of-materials-will-there-be-and-are-there-going-to-be-ores/

Edited by Leonis

1--> It wasn't said there will be limitations on which skills you could develop instead of another. Normally, you could develop all sorts of skills but having a specification into an organisation can be better.

2--> First time I heard of that. Good point. Everything that's relevant like that should be considered by NQ I assume. Even though it's something not implemented at first for same ores of different quality, it could be patched. Then, I think there will be different sorts of ores, suck as Iron, Carbon, Ruby, Diamond, Gold... each of them fulfilling different purposes.

EDIT: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10010-what-kind-of-materials-will-there-be-and-are-there-going-to-be-ores/

Star wars galaxies had a very deep and in depth resource system that in turn made better in depth crafting.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Resource

thats just the start

Star wars galaxies had a very deep and in depth resource system that in turn made better in depth crafting.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Resource

thats just the start

I didn't even know there had been a Star Wars MMO.

The more features there are the better it will be. I hope in the future factions of oldies will detain the secrets of their specializations, the keys of the game should be clear at once but earned by playing eagerly.