yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

Just a few questions. Some might have already been asked, but it's 9 pages long and I'd rather not sift through them all!

1 - What type of sensors will be available to plug into the DPU? For example, motion sensor, laser trip wire, camera with live stream, etc? Would they be usable on bother structures and ships?

2 - Is there any plans for a sort of remote control for a DPU or being able to trigger an event remotely?

3 - What types of mechanical movements, such as motors, are planned? (for mechs, auto farmers, big contraptions, etc)

4 - When building large building or space ships with voxels will gravity apply for large overhangs? Will we need supports to aid construction? Also does this apply to underground bases, will the cave in?

5 - Will the textures in-game be procedural? If so, will we be able to tweak the colours, bump and specular maps to give us an even greater variation when building?

6 - Will the players name be displayed above their heads at all time? How will stealth play (sneaking into bases/ships etc) work if you can see the names of approaching enemys?

A couple of questions

You say that you will generate all planets that a player sees/encounters, but wont store any information about said generated planets on your servers.

1) Doesn't this mean you need a static algorithm for procedural generation?

1a) One that won't generate differently, even if you do bug fixing to it. Because otherwise players might end up seeing different planets in the same area over time...?

2) Can we expect to be able to make ground vehicles, with wheels, tracks or even legs (mechs) ??

2a) With scripting for ships/vehicles, and maybe stuff like motors/rotors/connectors/swivels, will we be able to connect several different vehicles/ships and have them interact?

1. What's the maximum level?   I know there's no level. It's going to be a FAQ though :rolleyes: .

2. How many skills can you have per char?

3. Will skills be assigned to respective activities or will we be able to swap skills at will?

If a contract is signed between two organisations and one breaks that contract, what options does are available to the other organisation to pursue in game legal action?

If a contract is signed between two organisations and one breaks that contract, what options does are available to the other organisation to pursue in game legal action?

They both put up a fine for breaking the contract. If one of them breaks the contract in any way, shape or form, the other org is paying the fine.

And good luck with those contracts, cause you know it takes one guy on your organisation to run it for everyone else :P

from what iv seen its just the same stuff mentioned in the devblogs in wiki format

It's our job, as fans, to fill out that wiki and as the information gets clearer that gets easier. The key is to not put down unconfirmed hunches and to be ready to say that things are subject to change and are still not completely defined. Add dates to your comments on the wiki so we can spot an out of date detail easier.  

Quest about the start of the game (day 0) when we log on will there be some cities and village already built from the backstory or are we on a different ARK?  sorry for double post my computer was being weird 

So something that came up in the DU discord. Will the DACs be a physical item in game that can be dropped by a player and then picked up by another?  Or in the alternative if it cant be picked up can it be lost during the resurrection process?

Will this game follow EVE Online to the letter? Piracy, freedom to attack anyone, praying on the new & weak. Requiring skill training of years to do stuff, etc? I saw your newest video and that is the message I got..

Is the biosphere we see in the game what we will see in the world at the exit of the ark or will it be a desert world?

If it is the green forest, is it:

1. A native natural alien life that looks normal and earth like?
  2. Something planted out by robots or something sent before the Ark landed? I have a library story covering this but would not want to have it wrong. 
  3. Is it a bit of nano technology magic? Lightening fast forest growth. Why bother?
  4. Planted by aliens to help the crew?
  5. A combination of any of these?
  6. Something else?

​I.e. Is the backstory terraforming Alioth.  Or is it still unresolved or part of the mystery?

Few quick ones....

1) How big is the universe going to be?  Number of systems planets etc? 

2) Is orbital mechanics occurring?  Like planet rotations and orbits around the sun? 

I've no idea is it the right place to ask, but can't find any other thread/section for this.

Im interested in this game and concidering to get alpha key, but I never backed any other project before and I read a lot shity things about NMS game. So I wanna now can we trust the devs will give what they promise, because they promise abit too much to be real, imo.

Also:

1) what are PC requirements to launch the game?

2) is it gonna be free to get' or 'buy to get' the game copy? I now there gonna be monthly subscriptions, but what about the game itself?... Can I download, launch, pay sub and play or I need to buy the copy?

3) will other players be able to create they own active modules (not voxel blocks (I dont know how they are called))?

4) I forgot at least few more questions while typing this, lol

How are planets named? Does the first player to discover/claim territory on a planet get to name it? Or are names chosen from a list upon procedural generation of said planet? If a player gets to name the planet, will any safeguards be in place to prevent inappropriate/stupid names?

Will there be a universal speed limit? I believe the main reason for the one in space engineers was due to block collisions and the physics of such occurrences getting messy at high velocities.

I have a few questions from me and my friends, some of them will be a bit Industrial oriented as we love that part.

1. How will resources be regenerated, and how often, and in what way?

2. Will we be able to build big structures to mine out the core of entier planets?

3. What would the limit be to the drone mechanic in the game? and to what extend can we control them?

-3.1 What is the limit of things a drone can do?

--3.2 What would the limit of drones a player can have be? or is it CPU/Ship/Central Terminal power dependant?

4. Will we be able to make a mothership that is gigantuan, and warp/jump from system to system with it?

5. Will it be possible to make some kind of energy link (possibly via satelites to re-angle the beam) to send resources and/or energy from a planet to a space station, or to a mothership?

6, will we have different ways of making energy or will it all be one way to make it? and will we have different kinds of materials to produce said energy? (ie. Uranium, plutonium, 3rd or 10th kind of Sci-fi ore)

-6.1 (a friends side question) Would we be able to drain suns for energy?

7. would the blueprint database have the integration/option to replace possible outdated blocks in the blueprint to make them valid again in case such a thing would happen?

8. In what ways would we be able to gather resources? by using ships or vehicles or some sort of machine, or by hand?

-8.1 If we are able to automate gathering of resources to what limit would that be?

9. Will we have one form or multiple forms of currency?

10. Would resources be physically placed in the world, or would they be inside of an inventory system where you drag and drop from inventory window to container window and ect.?

11. Will we be able to have different kind of suits to wear? (possibly with a power generator or tools backpack? mecha suits?)

12. When handling liquid forms of resources, how would you go about gathering them and transporting them?

13.  Will it be possible to make some kind of plugin/cell for some types of machines/vehicles/ships that would augument their function? (like decreased fuel consumption or make a mining laser into a highpowered deathray)

14. If your friends joins the game, would they have the option of spawning close to you in any way?

15. some have asked the question for cerebral implants, but would be we able to cybernetically agument our entier bodies in any way?

And I think that is enough questions for me and my group of friends, we already read as much as we could before posting this.
Hope to read/see/hear about more information about this game!

Signed.

Alakki & Co.

What stops another random player spawning at your Resurrection Node in your base and stealing all your stuff?  

---snip--- Oups just found the answer.

The Resurrection Node is locked to your character but licenseable to your org. It can't be sold.

That raised another question. 

Is it destructible; do you lose it if placed and destroyed? Is it hard to destroy, indestructible or will it just drop back to your inventory?  

Q: Will there be limitations on what player created LUA weapons can do?

IMO this is very important so as too not have any anything that would be over powering to the general building of strictures. However, some structures and their materials, properties and design would be directly affected by damage.

Art question: does dual contouring of voxels need seamless textures or is it able use other texture arraigning them on the faces on the fly?

Are there any textures you will need? Some of us can do textures but can't help with out some size, format, etc info.