yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

What kind of animations can we expect from the player's character, for example kneeling, saluting, dancing and could specific skills cause certain animations for ground or extravehicular combat?

[Q1]

With the HTML5 screens/UI elements, can they get data from the world wide web, to for e.g stream music to players in an elevator or to display custom images/video etc. or will it be a closed system of defined resources/endpoints?

[Q2] 

With the LUA scripting, can I interact with html5 pages iv created for monitors so I could create intractable content in html5 for throttle control or door controls etc.?

[Q3]

Will there be an external API for people to create realworld applications to aid gameplay? even if mainly just for informational purposes similar to EvEOnline's CREST API.

Thanks for reading,

Hope iv worded these questions okay and hope to see some answered! :)

Hi!

We've already heard a few things about how ftl-travel is going to work - stargates and warp drives - and how stargates are going to be set up.

That brings me to another question:

Sending out STARGATE-DRONES:

How do I get to know where to send my Stargate probe / drone?

Usually exploration means, that I actually explore something, for example a new star system, by going there, looking around and then deciding if and where to settle / mine.

With the already announced drone-mechanic I don't really think that it's going to be like that - at least not in the first place, maybe later when the drone already has arrived.

My guess would be, that you could build something like a deep space scanner that does what the name says ;) - and when it finds a new star system, it gives you the coordinates to send your drone there - and maybe some general information about star size / type, number of planets, etc.

This information could be crucial for an organisation to decide whether or not it's a good idea to start a resource exhausting exploration / stargate-building mission to the system or not.

Why this is an important question in my opinion:

since the stargate-drones are said to be one-jump-only, which means that you are literally stuck in the new location until you build a new stargate there (which is said to be really expensive), it could be really important to know what you will have to deal with once you get there.

Some more details about this game-mechanic would be really nice. :)

Greetings

TheRealBeowulf

SCANNING procedural generated Environments:

Since scanning is announced to be a basic gameplay mechanic, and the environment is procedurally generated, this brings up the following question (which may already answer itself) :

Is a scanned area going to be saved like it was altered by a player, even if it has not yet been touched otherwise?

The DEVs already mentioned that scans will be an important gameplay mechanic, and that you even could specialize in scanning and for example selling the information.

This would also mean, that a scanned area has to be permanent, even if it's left alone again - just like an area that has actually been physically altered by a player - otherwise the scan would be somewhat useless...

Maybe this question is a bit silly, I was just wondering because i would expect scanning to be a lot faster than, for example, mining.

This could mean that a lot of data has to be stored, because ore deposits and stuff would have to stay in fixed positions once they are scanned and could not just be generated when someone is near.

Greetings

TheRealBeowulf

Greetings,

Will there be alive advanced AI civilizations, star empires that we can join, influence to wage war or exploit?

Regards,

//Naki

They have already answered that. The answer is no.

If you have any more questions, you can try the Frequently Asked Questions list posted by Cybrex HERE

"There's been some debate on the limits of the proposed/existing DPU element in the game. I'd like to ask: on what basis are they going to be classified?

Will there be a kind of quality-tier classification in which DPUs that last longer will be more expensive, will it be based on the amount of lines of code allowed per DPU or will it be based on the number of available/attachable slot per DPU; and if not, will all DPUs be generally the same?

Thanks.

"

I third this question.

[Q1]

With the HTML5 screens/UI elements, can they get data from the world wide web, to for e.g stream music to players in an elevator or to display custom images/video etc. or will it be a closed system of defined resources/endpoints?

[Q2] 

With the LUA scripting, can I interact with html5 pages iv created for monitors so I could create intractable content in html5 for throttle control or door controls etc.?

[Q3]

Will there be an external API for people to create realworld applications to aid gameplay? even if mainly just for informational purposes similar to EvEOnline's CREST API.

Thanks for reading,

Hope iv worded these questions okay and hope to see some answered! :)

I second these questions

Stargate probe question

Will the probes be an all-in-one "device" that we build OR

will they be an actual construct, where we place the hull, thrusters, sensor array,... etc... and the one-use-only stargate?

I third this question.

I second these questions

Stargate probe question

Will the probes be an all-in-one "device" that we build OR

will they be an actual construct, where we place the hull, thrusters, sensor array,... etc... and the one-use-only stargate?

"Nyzaltar has answered the DPU questions. This is his reply:

Hi Aetherios,

As both questions involved advanced gameplay and for now I can't give you final, clear answers on these topics (keep in mind the level of development we are currently in: check the Q&A 26 of the "Ask Us Anything" event. We are still at least 2 years away from official release!)

Here are the only things I could tell you at the moment:

About DPUs: durability and and number of available/attachable slots will probably impact the cost of a DPU. But I can't certify you at this point, as these mechanics are still under early development and not yet implemented in game.

About Combat involving constructs: same thing here. At the moment, there's a very high chance we won't have any combat mechanics in Alpha 1 phase and you will probably have to wait until Beta 1 before having advanced combat mechanics involving constructs. Devs have several ideas in mind about the way of applying damage. But none has been clearly decided at the moment. This require to make a lot of tests, and right now, testing combat mechanics isn't the primary focus.

You can be assured that once all the combat mechanics and the DPU specs will reach their first implemention in the game, we will announce it to the community. However, for the time being, you will have to wait for such questions. Sorry for not being able to give more info than that.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

"

A few more questions:

[4] Will there be pressurization? as in: hallways in space need to be pressurized with air to be habitable for a player with no suit etc? or if the ship is on fire you could close some bulkhead doors and vent the air to quench the fire?

[5] Following on from [4], will there be fire spread mechanics, so you may need to deal with fire spreading due to damage?

[6] Will orbital mechanics be in the game? so if you for example have a station within the gravitational pull of a planet and do not fuel up its engines will its orbit decay and it will, eventually, fall back to the planet?

[7] Will there be Atmospheric entry simulation? so you need to add some heat shielding or even force field shielding to your ship else it will burn up on entry?

[8] Will Planets/Full Systems that are discovered be able to be named by the player/corporation that discover them?

[8.5] How will players navigate the discovered universe? will there be a star map of sorts, or will this be left for players to create and sell/share with the in-game html5/lua and screens?

Thank you once again for reading!  :)

Best regards,

Sam.

A few more questions from me:

1) Will we be able to pay for our subscription with Bitcoin? There are many payment processors that could facilitate that, I know many people pay for Wurm Online that way.

2) Will there be an affiliate reseller program for the "PLEX" item we can buy off the market in the same way that Eve Online allows certain approved third party retailers to sell PLEX?

ie, https://secure.eveonline.com/etc.aspx , ?

3) In regards to containers and markets, having to go to a market to retrieve a ship you bought for example. When we put a ship on the market, are we physically parking it somewhere for someone to come pick up later on, or is it disappearing into a "magic" market terminal? 

What about cargo containers? Will there be physical giant stacks of cargo containers in markets full of items people are selling, or are they going to disappear into a market terminal "magically" as well? 

4) Are there any plans for releasing a fansite kit? 

5) Is Novaquark going to be attending PAX this year in Seattle?

6) Will there be docking ports for connecting a ship to a space station, or connecting two parts of a ship together?

ie, an 18 wheeler has a cab and the trailer that disconnects. 

In a similar fashion, I'm wondering if I'll be able to build a freighter that has a detachable cargo hold, so that I can deliver and pick up cargo quickly and maneuver around in the "Cab" part of the ship by itself. 

7) Can you tell us a bit about the plans for how weather will work in Dual Universe? How will it affect our ships and our own health/vision/etc?

how will solar systems be populated? 

IE: will there be things like comets and asteroids?  what kinds of different planets do you plane to include? we've seen an earthlike planet and a desert planet, but will there be more bizzare kinds of planets?

will there be mercury like planets or gas giants?

will any planets have ring systems or moons?

Wil the latency server-side be stable, given the Cloud-tech involved in the servers themselves? For example, if a player is stationed in Australia and an other in Europe, will they have the same server-side latency, therefore only be hindered by their own internet connection?

My question is:

How is falling off your space station going to work? i.e do I need to have a friend give me the sweet release of death or will it claim me at an appropriate moment. I imagine building in space will be a common occurrence but I am interested to see how industrial accidents will pan out.

Are Voxel Elements and their scripts editable by players? Can they be entirely re-created by players, or will player have to stick to dev team premade elements? would they need any energy source to be active?

Quick question - did a quick search and didn't find anything related to this:

Space anomalies (black holes / warpgates / 'tunnels' / gravity wells or lanes etc.) - will these exist and how would they be handled? There's a few posts on some of these in the "ideas" board, but has there been any discussion amongst the devs with regards to this? Or is this a "we want to do something, but we'll discuss / think of after the core mechanics are implimented" thing? 

Reviving the question of character customization using voxel builds:

How would Novaquark pretend first, DU is a sandbox, and then, that in DU you can build and customize everything, if it is limited to ships (with voxels of 25cm) and buildings (with voxels of 1m).

How would i make difference between 100 players at the same place, who i know, who is from my fleet / organisation, who am i against (in time of war: or maybe just watching at a floating red name tag above my enemies troops?)

Sir NQ-Nyzaltar replied once: "It would require to make a 3D modeling tool inside Dual Universe to enable players to customize their gear and it would represent a tremendous amount of development time. Moreover, the dev team prefers to keep some control on the artistic vision for the game."

And right after, replied to an other question:  "(well, if you assume the majority of players have bad taste, you could get bad taste ships proliferating, but after all, if everybody likes it, it’s not bad taste anymore. Vox populi, vox dei). Most people will like to fly in kickass ships, for sure, and not ugly bad designed shoe-like potatoes. So, following this reasoning, we can hope that even if jokes/ugly experiments will exist (there is no way to avoid it), they will remain in minority because of costs and market selection. "

The building tools dev team already has it, the voxel building tool, why not using the same tool and reducing a little bit the voxel size to 10cm or less, and giving option after the build finished, to save a blue print, and wear the equipment part at the desired attachment point?   

It would allow players to diferentiate themselves from each others on ground, make casual outfits for the bar, organisations designed working uniforms and war suits?

If my organisation is building a steampunk design theme complexe city, where will be the role play if everyone looks like starship trooper pilots? 

Devblog announced: "That’s why we plan to place the Builders at the heart of the Economy. We want to make them feel useful or even essential to other players. Builders will be able to sell, or buy their creations together with other players to increase their wealth for other purposes. Building activity will, along with the crafting activity, bootstrap the player-driven Economy."

But if the craft takes too much importance what will be the place of the builder, if everything can be crafted faster than built?

Crafting armors and weapons, will it be like in minecraft? leather, iron, gold, diamond and thats it?

If the DU market only has ships (that will take weeks and monthes to build) or material (but only dirt because precious one, no one will want to sell), or houses (but no one will want to buy because everyone wants to build his own house at least), the market going to be constantly empty.

What are builders going to do after finishing a ship?  and there will be tons of builders

Will the builder tool available on a moving ship? at cruising speed? at light speed?

What about builders not crazy about building community enormous ships, but more about smaller scale things?

So if it will take a "tremendous amount of development time", why not let players entirely build DU Elements library, including the character creation, by just giving us full capacity of the tools to do it?   

What players like the most in every RP games during social times, is to show off and compare character equipments and weapons right?

Please reconsider, its far to be too late and Novaquark going to blow up the game market if such content is available.

PS: i am already a great fan of the actual work and intentions, i am just looking for the little (BIG) difference from other open world space games and the meaning of  pretended sandbox, because the giant Second Life already defined the term sandbox, not metioning about Gmod that is also using LUA script and props (DU Elements?) and the very recently out, voxel building based, EQ Landmark.

In order to build complex AI systems such as Auto-Pilot, Auto-Repair, Auto-Intercept, Fire Control Systems etc, the LUA Script embedded within the DPU's would need access to some form of local storage. Without persistence, a DPU controlled construct would be like putting a goldfish in charge of deathstar.

I imagine it would be a potentially costly implementation in terms of game resources, especially where lazy programmers or non-programmers are writing bad code and embedding it into massive fleets of drones, in a fire and forget fashion.

What are your plans with regards to storage, and also what will happen when a DPU controlled drone is sent out into the universe alone? Will it continue its mission according to its DPU's instructions or will it be garbage collected?