yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

Hi,

I would like to ask one important question for me. Because stellar systems, planets and the whole universe will be procedurally generated, is there any chance that stellar bodies will move throughout systems on stable orbits? Planets actualy orbiting stars, moons orbiting planets. I can imagine possibility, that position of each object in stellar system is dependent on realworld time. It doesn´t have to be realtime precision, but minute or even hour precision will be great. Only by adding one more parameter in generating function and few position actualization across day if necessary.

Could be interesting, but sounds a bit advanced :P

Could be interesting, but sounds a bit advanced :P

It's not so advanced or hard, you just procedurally generate initial position and then you modify that position accordingly to passed time. As long as player is in system, you are modifying position (moving) of object with required precision.

It's not so advanced or hard, you just procedurally generate initial position and then you modify that position accordingly to passed time. As long as player is in system, you are modifying position (moving) of object with required precision.

it's difficult to implement in a game like this, and it's not a priority

Will everyone start at the same planet?

[Questions]

1: Will everyone in Alpha be from the same Arkship? (Knowing the name of the first couple of ships would be helpful for early roleplaying)

2: Will different Arkships have different factions/goals? (Perhaps more military on one, more scholars or builders on another)

3: Will the sim planet for early access/alpha have the same name for all of us? Alioth?

I think I found some answers here:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/08/17/about-the-alpha-gameplay/#more-313

04-hunter.jpg?w=636&h=358

it's difficult to implement in a game like this, and it's not a priority

First we have to see what the time rate is: how many game days = a real world day?

Then we have to see how practical it is to simulate orbits.

Will we have ships and stations trying to lock into planetary orbits like they did on Star Trek? Or will all ships land on the ground?

My guess is that planets won't noticeably move within minutes or hours.

First we have to see what the time rate is: how many game days = a real world day?

Will we have ships and stations trying to lock into planetary orbits like they did on Star Trek? Or will all ships land on the ground?

Also, if we go really deep..

How will these orbits affect gravitational spheres? How will bases / sattelites work. Will there be interfereance as a planet goes further away from its intended position?

I did a few quick searches on google and it appears that the International Space Station is moving about 7,66 km/s around the Earth; this, in turn, moves at about 30 km/s around the Sun 30 km/s...
Quite noticeably!  :P

Keep account of these speeds may represent a big problem for any algorithm, for this reason I believe that the various celestial bodies in DU will be considered static...
I'm curious to see how they will manage the day/night cycle...  ;)

I did a few quick searches on google and it appears that the International Space Station is moving about 7,66 km/s around the Earth; this, in turn, moves at about 30 km/s around the Sun 30 km/s...
Quite noticeably!  :P

Keep account of these speeds may represent a big problem for any algorithm, for this reason I believe that the various celestial bodies in DU will be considered static...
I'm curious to see how they will manage the day/night cycle...  ;)

*Shrugs* it might be something they implement later... or I dunno.

It is rather complex... and if they don't put it in the start it might fuck over any empire really xD

I posted a thread on General discussion I will post it here. If these have already been asked i apologize for duplication.

Will all the materials in the universe produce single items or will additional materials be needed? Also what about by products and waste products?

If we mine iron ore, for example will we need additional materials such as silicon, phosphorus, nickel etc to make steel components similar to real world technologies, or will iron just become steel after refining?

After refining will there be by products we will have to handle to dispose of properly?

If we are able to collect trees and use them to produce boards for constructions what will happen to the saw dust?

With animals, if there are any, will there be manure that we can use as fertilizer or to be used to produce methane gas? Will there be human waste that needs to be treated in water treatments plants etc...

The list can go on and on, any thoughts or comments?

We're using nano tech to deconstruct and then reconstruct, thus:

I don't think we'll have tangible byproducts or waste products, like saw dust to "dispose of", but the nanoformer should be able to create saw dust from collected wood if saw dust has some use.

I would expect us to be required to have collected nickel and iron in the required amounts to create alloys, like steel. I'm guessing we may need to use a Foundry for that?

I'm not expecting to see manure deposits in Dual Universe - seems likely some worlds could have methane lakes.

[Questions]

1: Will everyone in Alpha be from the same Arkship? (Knowing the name of the first couple of ships would be helpful for early roleplaying)

2: Will different Arkships have different factions/goals? (Perhaps more military on one, more scholars or builders on another)

3: Will the sim planet for early access/alpha have the same name for all of us? Alioth?

I think I found some answers here:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/08/17/about-the-alpha-gameplay/#more-313

04-hunter.jpg?w=636&h=358

You forgot

4: Will I be able to have a sweet bow like in the concept art? :D

1)How the game is going to handle "elements"  in terms of performance? As an avid Tekkit (and other mod) and SspaceEngineers player, I've always had problem when building large factories/constructs or any huge interactive thing, since it usually cause lag to the client, but especially to the server up to a point that often lead to a crash or bug the map. In case the game will provide us with a reason (and the elements) to build such a large complex and interactive thing, may the game have performance problems with it? Are you going to limit the use for certain elements?

2)In Minecraft, the map is usually loaded by the server around a player to a set distance (a circle with something like 270 blocks range i think). This means that stuff made with blocks don't work when there are no player close enough, because the server doesn't load them. Since you do plan to have drones, ai, and elements in general, how this is going to work? Will the server load the map around a drone even if there's no player around? Is this going to impact server performance?

I don't know how many times this has been asked, so I do apologize if it's a repeat, but it is a question near and dear to me. Question follows:

Will attire and more extensive character customization/creation be implemented eventually? If so, how extensive will the customization be? Example: Will there just be predefined slots that players can drag and drop clothes and accessories into? Or will we actually be able to create entire clothing models that are absolutely customizable to a very fine degree of detail? Maybe some combination of the two (a large number of slots for every imaginable piece of clothing and accessory with modifiable fabrics)?

I would like to know how resource demanding this game will be. See, my laptop isn't all that good.
I imagine it would be rather requiring to run a game such as DU, however, it seems like most of the load will not be client side. Therefor, will low end PCs be able to run DU? (I'm talking Dell, 8GB RAM, standard Intel Graphics and Processor, etc)

I would like to know how resource demanding this game will be. See, my laptop isn't all that good.

I imagine it would be rather requiring to run a game such as DU, however, it seems like most of the load will not be client side. Therefor, will low end PCs be able to run DU? (I'm talking Dell, 8GB RAM, standard Intel Graphics and Processor, etc)

System Requirements

Minimum:                                            Recommended:

One Skynet                                          Two Skynets

What can you tell us about sources and sinks of the in-game currency?

What can you say about the spaceflight model?  Are there 6 degrees of freedom; do you need to install attitude thrusters and script them to counteract one another, or do you have a simpler system in place?

Will there be HOTAS support?

I'm sure this has bin asked by now but none the less I would like to ask could it be possible to build something like a space elevator that would be difficult to all hell to build but once built could allow players to transport materials or ships into orbit, is the engine even able to handle something like that, as well as how long do you personally think it would take to build such a thing?

I have some questions regarding targeting and combat:

The BIG question...  What will we be able to target? (mesh elements, core modules, players, voxels)

If I target an element, that's surronded by voxels, how are the voxels (which haven't been targeted) damaged?

Will a player be able to "shield" an element by surrounding it with layers of voxels?

Thanks

okay i kinda late to the forum and the site but how are people getting access to the Alpha? will it be an email since we are already members to the site or is it going to more of a world wide situation?

Unknown, the general belief is that crowdunding backers will get Alpha Access.

I know this has been talked about somewhere (for the life of me i cant remember where) but the creation of items such as weapons and other such elements be available like in planet explorers or still to early? and 2 how will blueprints be protected? what will stop someone from taking a blueprint and just making it there own then reselling it?

I know this has been talked about somewhere (for the life of me i cant remember where) but the creation of items such as weapons and other such elements be available like in planet explorers or still to early? and 2 how will blueprints be protected? what will stop someone from taking a blueprint and just making it there own then reselling it?

RDMS Devblog on blueprints, And look at the Ask Us Anything. They answer your first question

RDMS Devblog on blueprints, And look at the Ask Us Anything. They answer your first question

Is there one on just blueprints? I have read most of them and I remember reading something about being able to make and sell blueprints but nothing on stopping people from basically stealing your creations and selling them as their own.

@NQ-Nyzaltar

First off, Thank you for answering the first part of my question. Just to make sure it's still on the list, I would still like an answer to the second half: Will there be a way to hold or pull on a block of metal? Would we be able to place something like a handle or attach any elements to the avatar?