yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

5 hours ago, Shynras said:

You can create a building by using many constructs, each one is an apartment with its own core unit

Yup. If that doesn't work, NQ can easily create a way to link Static Cores to be "one building", while maintaing individual RDMS rights to each one.

17 minutes ago, xGugulu said:

How does someone delete a Corporation?

1) Revoke everyone's membership

2) Edit your community page by erasing the content of all fields (use generic stuff for fields that can't be let empty)

3) Leave if possible (never tested if you can leave if you're the only member)

On 11/14/2017 at 3:30 PM, Nanoman said:

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I discovered Dual Universe probably a few weeks ago, and since then I've spent almost all my free time watching videos and reading devblogs etc. It's been a long time since I was this excited for a game.

Here are a few questions that came to mind:

1. How will tech research be obtained/advanced? (what I mean by tech research is the kind of thing that will enable stargates at some point, I don't mean element schemas or skill progression)

2. As scripts can only be active whenever a player is close enough to the construct, will there be a way for scripts to know if/when/how long they were inactive since last run?

3. Will I be able to queue up multiple skills to train, sothat I can plan ahead for when I'm offline? What will be the limitations?

4. Please don't ever make mandatory so-called "survival" mechanics, i.e. required to eat and drink every few minutes or something. Or if you insist, then at least also make it a requirement to take a piss 3x per day and a dump twice per three days, and take a shower and brush my teeth. And visit the barber every once in a while. And vacuum the rug, it really ties the room together. Thank you. :P

Alioth, amigoth!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to see you join us.

1. We really don't know for sure yet. The devs are currently working on the core mechanics of the game, which is the building and multiplayer. As such, details such as what you're asking for here aren't known even by the developers yet. The forums are great place to discuss your ideas for how things like research can work, if you have ideas, but be sure to search around to see if there is not already a topic on it.

2. If the player is still online near their script, and there are Lua functions that allow some form of timekeeping, then it is possible. However, as you said, upon logging out or leaving the vicinity of their construct a player's Lua scripts will stop. So regardless of any functions, at this time there would be no way for a Lua script by itself to keep track of time while it's owner is offline.

3. Yes, the idea is that skills can be passively trained, working similar to EVE Online if you're familiar with that system. As for limitations, again unknown.

4. As of now, survival mechanics such as eating and drinking are completely off the radar. 

1 hour ago, Nanoman said:

Cheers @ATMLVE

By the way isn't it true that scripts run whenever any player is in the vicinity? (i.e. not just the owner or creator or someone with access rights). Otherwise how could you have puzzles or screens or tutorials etc. work properly for other players when you're not around.

I'm not actually sure, I did say if you're not near your script it won't run but that may not be 100% true, though I thought it was. Traps could still work though regardless of that fact with interactive elements, things like laser sensors and force fields dont need code, so as long as they only use links to operate then they shouldn't need a player nearby. 

Hi everyone, I'm new here and apologies if this has been asked before, but I looked around the forums and dev diaries and couldn't find anything related to my question:

I've noted that in DU there are plans to have construct v construct battles and I understand that these will be done as 'hit chance' battles, where stats of the weapon and the player determine whether a hit took place and for how much damage. While this seems perfectly reasonable to me (there is, after all, a lot of data to handle in an MMO) it does leave a question mark to me over the role of smaller ships like fighters (or bombers, if they're planned?).

Essentially, from what I understand, combat's dealt like in Eve, so ships would have turrets on them with a chance to hit, but how would 'hit chance' weapons work with fixed weapons as one gets on a fighter? would these be guaranteed hits as long as the target is in front of the ship? Or would there be no such things as fixed weapons and all of them would be turreted (or at least gimballed?)?

Again, sorry if this was asked somewhere before but I didn't see it come up anywhere.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:08 PM, NanakotheNarcface said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and apologies if this has been asked before, but I looked around the forums and dev diaries and couldn't find anything related to my question:

I've noted that in DU there are plans to have construct v construct battles and I understand that these will be done as 'hit chance' battles, where stats of the weapon and the player determine whether a hit took place and for how much damage. While this seems perfectly reasonable to me (there is, after all, a lot of data to handle in an MMO) it does leave a question mark to me over the role of smaller ships like fighters (or bombers, if they're planned?).

Essentially, from what I understand, combat's dealt like in Eve, so ships would have turrets on them with a chance to hit, but how would 'hit chance' weapons work with fixed weapons as one gets on a fighter? would these be guaranteed hits as long as the target is in front of the ship? Or would there be no such things as fixed weapons and all of them would be turreted (or at least gimballed?)?

Again, sorry if this was asked somewhere before but I didn't see it come up anywhere.

You're drawing a functional line between fighters and larger ships, where there isn't one. Remember that in Dual Universe, you can make your own ship, any size and shape you want. So yes, there is a difference between a huge capital ship and a tiny one-man fighter; however, they function under the same principals, because they are both simply player made ships with weapons.

Make that fighter 5% larger and the capital ship 5% smaller; do they function differently now? How about growing/shrinking them again, and again... Eventually, they'll be the same shape as they were, but are now suddenly the same size. Because players are free to make their ships however they want, there can't really be any specific identifiers like that as far as game mechanics go. I just think it wouldn't work out.

So I think a ship designed to be a fighter will work just the same as any other ship, with lock-and-fire weapons, but will have weapons available specifically for close-range maneuverable ships to use, to make them specialized in being a fighter. 

8 hours ago, ATMLVE said:

You're drawing a functional line between fighters and larger ships, where there isn't one.

I think it is not so much about the ship or their sizes, but more about the weapons. 

the Question is, will there be only turreted Weapons? Or will there be fixed weapons? 

And how will those work.

15 hours ago, Forodrim said:

I think it is not so much about the ship or their sizes, but more about the weapons. 

the Question is, will there be only turreted Weapons? Or will there be fixed weapons? 

And how will those work.

Ah well that is unknown. We don't know anything really about weapons yet as that hasn't been developed. I would guess though that there would definitely be weapons designed to be used on smaller ships...  Though remember that space is big. 

On 20/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, Forodrim said:

And how will those work.

Yep, this was basically what I meant, put more succinctly! I just remember reading about the combat and thinking to myself "They show us small spaceships (like fighters) a lot in their videos, but would they even work in the combat system they propose?".

On 16/11/2017 at 3:16 AM, ATMLVE said:

[failed quoting, nvm - Alluysl]

On 14/11/2017 at 9:30 PM, Nanoman said:

2. As scripts can only be active whenever a player is close enough to the construct, will there be a way for scripts to know if/when/how long they were inactive since last run?

There's actually a very simple way. Imagine a counter that adds 1 to a value every minute if the script is active. Let's say you left a hour ago and the counter has increased of 16 when you come back, you know that the script was inactive for around 44 minutes (using a tick every second would make a way more reliable counter ^^)

Also I've got a question (not for you Nanoman), not sure if NQ can say it because PREALPHA, in the LUA tutorial I've seen a counter of about 400 hours in the container widget named "remaining". Is it like a decay/emptying mechanic where you loose fuel over time or something?

5 hours ago, Nanoman said:

If the script can tell the time then best to just store the time.

But all this is assuming there is a timer event or some such. Something that can be used to update the stored value reliably, unless the script is inactive.

I guess if all else fails I'm sure you could link to a pulser element, but it's already getting a bit hairy.

You can set a ticker that will tick regularly (JC showed a 0.5s one as an example)

<Edit> "A ticker that will tick", yes. Totally not redundant.

On 11/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, Alluysl said:

There's actually a very simple way. Imagine a counter that adds 1 to a value every minute if the script is active. Let's say you left a hour ago and the counter has increased of 16 when you come back, you know that the script was inactive for around 44 minutes (using a tick every second would make a way more reliable counter ^^)

That would absolutely work, just so long as you know that only your machine runs your script, and not another one when another player is nearby.

If there will be gas giants will there be the similar features from Jupiter or Saturn such as deadly radiation, crushing pressures and the need for artificial light? If so that could be quite the interesting addition, you'd have to not only try and withstand the vast amount of radiation, which from Jupiter's Van Allen belts can extend 300km out from the planet, but then have to juggle with hull integrity from the crushing force of the atmosphere as well as the rising heat added as you descend through the clouds. After all that the next question that I would pose would be how would you harvest the surface? I mean most gas giants are believed to have liquid surfaces due to the devastating pressures, causing metallic hydrogen to be believed to be there. Can we expect that degree of realism or am I just thinking way too hard about this?

On 12/1/2017 at 6:24 AM, MarcoBevells said:

If there will be gas giants will there be the similar features from Jupiter or Saturn such as deadly radiation, crushing pressures and the need for artificial light? If so that could be quite the interesting addition, you'd have to not only try and withstand the vast amount of radiation, which from Jupiter's Van Allen belts can extend 300km out from the planet, but then have to juggle with hull integrity from the crushing force of the atmosphere as well as the rising heat added as you descend through the clouds. After all that the next question that I would pose would be how would you harvest the surface? I mean most gas giants are believed to have liquid surfaces due to the devastating pressures, causing metallic hydrogen to be believed to be there. Can we expect that degree of realism or am I just thinking way too hard about this?

I would think that the devs want to add all of this, but it's more a question of what needs to be added before release to make it a complete game and then how much can be realistically be added in updates after full release. These suggestions would add a lot of interesting situations and with NQ's emphasis on realism (to a certain extent) up to this point it wouldn't surprise me if they add things like this.

1 hour ago, Shockeray said:

I would think that the devs want to add all of this, but it's more a question of what needs to be added before release to make it a complete game and then how much can be realistically be added in updates after full release. These suggestions would add a lot of interesting situations and with NQ's emphasis on realism (to a certain extent) up to this point it wouldn't surprise me if they add things like this.

Okay, good to know! Thanks for answering.

I have a question: Will digging + mining by hand/ tool on hand / or something more ?

if this have been answered somewhere... i'm else sorry for bother =.=

29 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

I have a question: Will digging + mining by hand/ tool on hand / or something more ?

if this have been answered somewhere... i'm else sorry for bother =.=

It's only digging with your nanoformer for now - they want newbros to be useful instead of rendering them useless because some 4 year old char has a fully fledged automated mining ship.

you can refer to this for some information

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/11/04/scanning-mining/

This was also answered in some YT video, can't remember which though

4 minutes ago, Lethys said:

It's only digging with your nanoformer for now - they want newbros to be useful instead of rendering them useless because some 4 year old char has a fully fledged automated mining ship.

you can refer to this for some information

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/11/04/scanning-mining/

This was also answered in some YT video, can't remember which though

thank you.
Automatic mining shouldnt in here is reasonable, but i hope it will have new gear for mining in future like a digging vehicle or digging ship with mining module but those module must have human control and it only got x2 or x3 when compare with digging with  nanoformer . Technology always grow :)
Or even x5 x10 compare with nanoformer but the cost to repair/refill them will be 60-70% their mining value

I got another question =.=: This time is about research, did we hear anything about it yet ? How will research work? Can you share your research ? If not , then when 2+ ppl research a project then when finish who will got that research final ? (i assume we can )

34 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

I got another question =.=: This time is about research, did we hear anything about it yet ? How will research work? Can you share your research ? If not , then when 2+ ppl research a project then when finish who will got that research final ? (i assume we can )

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. 

You will have skills you need to train. This will take x amount of hours. After the skill upgrade you can use that skill to craft (for example) a new tier of items. 

It's not like you need to research a type of ship. You can't split research of a certain skill between 2 players. 

You train skills with your own character and then you can use that skill to craft or use higher tier items. 

What Falstaf said.

If your question is about elements, we currently don't know if they will all be available at start or if we will unlock them somehow.

Regards,

Shadow.

1 hour ago, Falstaf said:

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. 

You will have skills you need to train. This will take x amount of hours. After the skill upgrade you can use that skill to craft (for example) a new tier of items. 

It's not like you need to research a type of ship. You can't split research of a certain skill between 2 players. 

You train skills with your own character and then you can use that skill to craft or use higher tier items. 

thank you but another point i need ro know.

Will there be any unique module you only unlock by research ?.

Also will there some very unique module which only an Org can product or research ? will Org use alot ppl on one research or each person research themself ? can they share the research ( i hope not ) ?

10 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

thank you but another point i need ro know.

Will there be any unique module you only unlock by research ?.

Also will there some very unique module which only an Org can product or research ? will Org use alot ppl on one research or each person research themself ? can they share the research ( i hope not ) ?

I don't know what "reaearch" means.

You train your character Like you do in eve: over time you train different skills. That's all. It's a passive progression and it's the same for everyone.

I suspect (MY opinion, No official statement yet) that you just get access to new elements if you have aquired the skills needed. They might add some sort of research like: you train skills and aphelia uploads those skills to your brain (Lore). You can now build space engines MK I. You could however put that blueprint of that element into a device to upgrade it to MK II. Enhance it with some materials you have to gather or Speed it up by dumping smth into that device.

But that's not planned and we don't know how we get the new elements