yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

They haven't announced which core mechanics will be part of alpha and which won't - we only know that AVA will most likely be implemented in late alpha.

But since they need to test those NPC bots too, they'll be part of alpha at some point.

You don't need DAC to play in alpha, nor a sub - you paid already with your pledge for that.

Again, maybe they want to test the DAC redeeming system so you get DAC from NQ to test it.

orginal[

währe halt Interesant die Aktivitäten der Alpha Team Vanguard zu sehen und nachzuvollziehen.
]orginal
google-englisch[

Would be interesting to see the activities of the Alpha Team Vanguard and understand.
]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

It's most likely going to be similar to minecraft during the beginning of alpha with new features added in over time. So crafting and building at first, then maybe at the end some other things.

6 hours ago, _devu_ said:

to addition to what original minecraft had to offer to compare to what DU pre-alpha has... it's an insult to compare those 2 ;)

P2W minigames servers confirmed? Lol

1. If there will be space battle, the loosing ship can be completely destroyed or just damaged to not be functional any more? Will we be able to collect scrap of destroyed ships after space battles?

2. What if someone decide to fly to the star? Will be there high temperature and in some distance from the star the character will burn or his ship will melt?

First of all. Amazing job on the execution of this game! Every aspect of the game looks super well done. I love the building scheme and the way the game is heading.

I've watched the videos and don't see any mention of this one feature. Will there be functional blocks in the game? 

By functional blocks I mean:

Springs, Bearings, Cables, Foot-triggered switches, Magnets, Axles, Pistons, Hinges, Scanners, keypress controlled motors, motors. There is a game that has a few of these functional blocks, but some major ones are missing, like the spring, magnet, and cable. It would be super awesome if DU did include these functional blocks. From what I've seen so far, Novaquark is super capable of achieving them. 

I did see that the game is going to include lasers, but is it going to end there, or is there more to come?

Btw, I have not seen any mention of creatures and hostile flora. Is that going to be in the game?

On 18/09/2017 at 2:38 PM, LamoNamo said:

First of all. Amazing job on the execution of this game! Every aspect of the game looks super well done. I love the building scheme and the way the game is heading.

I've watched the videos and don't see any mention of this one feature. Will there be functional blocks in the game? 

By functional blocks I mean:

Springs, Bearings, Cables, Foot-triggered switches, Magnets, Axles, Pistons, Hinges, Scanners, keypress controlled motors, motors. There is a game that has a few of these functional blocks, but some major ones are missing, like the spring, magnet, and cable. It would be super awesome if DU did include these functional blocks. From what I've seen so far, Novaquark is super capable of achieving them. 

I did see that the game is going to include lasers, but is it going to end there, or is there more to come?

Btw, I have not seen any mention of creatures and hostile flora. Is that going to be in the game?

Take a look at this video as there are some of the things you are after in it: 

However from what I understand moving elements like springs/bearings/cables/Pistons etc wont likely be included in the early stages of the games release. (though there will be premade things like air-brake flaps, sliding doors etc.)

So, a question that popped into my head after looking at all the information about RDMS is regarding player housing. Once full on cities are built, it seems inevitable that there are going to be apartment blocks and skyscrapers where many players will live. Military orgs might have shared barracks as well. RDMS can be used to restrict access of certain rooms to certain individuals, but in order to decorate their area, they'd have to have building access for the entire construct, according to my understanding. Is there a way to limit build rights to certain sections of a construct or would everyone living in a skyscraper be able to edit it as well?

I suppose a workaround is that the landlord/builder decorates for the person according to their specs, but that seems a bit silly, especially in something as big as a skyscraper, haha.

1 hour ago, DragonShadow said:

So, a question that popped into my head after looking at all the information about RDMS is regarding player housing. Once full on cities are built, it seems inevitable that there are going to be apartment blocks and skyscrapers where many players will live. Military orgs might have shared barracks as well. RDMS can be used to restrict access of certain rooms to certain individuals, but in order to decorate their area, they'd have to have building access for the entire construct, according to my understanding. Is there a way to limit build rights to certain sections of a construct or would everyone living in a skyscraper be able to edit it as well?

I suppose a workaround is that the landlord/builder decorates for the person according to their specs, but that seems a bit silly, especially in something as big as a skyscraper, haha.

im sure renter (with correct rights), will be able to place and edit their own stuff, just not the landlords stuff ;)

12 hours ago, DragonShadow said:

As @CoreVamore said, this will probably be implemented eventually, even if it's an update following launch, as it's useful in creating a working society. You can't expect all rights to be given out in chunks the size of the 1km diameter hexagons.

In regards to city building, I kind of expect the organization managing the city to create the apartment buildings, place a bunch of static cores inside in such a way they just end at the building walls, and then transfer ownership of these cores to you for a price (I figure, once you own the static cores, someone trying to retroactively yank your access rights from under your feet wouldn't work). Or alternatively grant you rights to the cores for rent. I figure once the cores are places, they can't be moved anymore without packing them up first. Rights management would then prevent from putting them back down. So with strategic placement, you can have a fancy apartment but not mess with the building and environment itself.

5 hours ago, Glowtape said:

In regards to city building, I kind of expect the organization managing the city to create the apartment buildings, place a bunch of static cores inside in such a way they just end at the building walls, and then transfer ownership of these cores to you for a price (I figure, once you own the static cores, someone trying to retroactively yank your access rights from under your feet wouldn't work). Or alternatively grant you rights to the cores for rent. I figure once the cores are places, they can't be moved anymore without packing them up first. Rights management would then prevent from putting them back down. So with strategic placement, you can have a fancy apartment but not mess with the building and environment itself.

omg just way to complex...... you simply create a building with one static core and multiple apartments and give access to the door of an apartment that a person is renting - simple as that.  Naturally you would also give them the right to drop their own items on the land that the apartment sits on so that they can decorate.  ;)

8 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

omg just way to complex...... you simply create a building with one static core and multiple apartments and give access to the door of an apartment that a person is renting - simple as that.  Naturally you would also give them the right to drop their own items on the land that the apartment sits on so that they can decorate.  ;)

Then people can "decorate" (=troll) everywhere in that tile. Or everywhere in that building

It could be easily fixed by adding a tool to select a volume (like tool 6 does) and by giving the option to define permissions for that volume (that would be a sub part of the construct, like a construct is a sub part of a territory tile). But it doesn't have to be, apartments are remunerative and not time consuming, so their owners can easily afford to buy a few small core units. 

3 hours ago, Lethys said:

Then people can "decorate" (=troll) everywhere in that tile. Or everywhere in that building

then they have abused their right to rent there and expel them from the access list - no biggie - just like in RL

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

then they have abused their right to rent there and expel them from the access list - no biggie - just like in RL

Gl determining who trolled and did decorate

20 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Gl determining who trolled and did decorate

I would imagine all constructed items would have a properties inspector which would show the owner of the item just like is done with Second Life constructions. Hint hint NQ  ;)

32 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

I would imagine all constructed items would have a properties inspector which would show the owner of the item just like is done with Second Life constructions. Hint hint NQ  ;)

Blueprints for sure but I don't think there's such a thing planned for placed items in a tile. And if, it should be balanced well cause I'm against it if everyone can just see who placed what

5 hours ago, Shynras said:

It could be easily fixed by adding a tool to select a volume (like tool 6 does) and by giving the option to define permissions for that volume (that would be a sub part of the construct, like a construct is a sub part of a territory tile).

This is how I think that the devs will handle this problem, the ability to subdivide a hexagon into smaller pieces with their own rights would allow not only renting of plots of land inside a city section, but also smaller areas like apartments. If the devs don't allow this subdivision, there will be a lot less use of a city because either hardly anyone could build or one person could delete it all/troll.

59 minutes ago, Shockeray said:

This is how I think that the devs will handle this problem, the ability to subdivide a hexagon into smaller pieces with their own rights would allow not only renting of plots of land inside a city section, but also smaller areas like apartments. If the devs don't allow this subdivision, there will be a lot less use of a city because either hardly anyone could build or one person could delete it all/troll.

You place a core unit and give permissions to build in the core unit zone to someone, and that's how devs intend to allow that. The discussion was about creating zones without the need of core units. 

3 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

While elements or constructs are not so hard to track because they're in small quantities, it's not the same for voxels.

1 hour ago, Shynras said:

You place a core unit and give permissions to build in the core unit zone to someone, and that's how devs intend to allow that. The discussion was about creating zones without the need of core units. 

I understand this is how they have talked about it and how it is done now, but I think there will have to be a more precise method of giving out rights at a later date. I can't think of another game where rights can only be allotted in an area as large as 1km sq. since almost no individual is going to need that much space.

28 minutes ago, Shockeray said:

I understand this is how they have talked about it and how it is done now, but I think there will have to be a more precise method of giving out rights at a later date. I can't think of another game where rights can only be allotted in an area as large as 1km sq. since almost no individual is going to need that much space.

No, permissions for a tile come from its territorial unit, I'm talking about core units that are the elements you use to create constructs (that are smaller than the entire tile)

1 hour ago, Shynras said:

No, permissions for a tile come from its territorial unit, I'm talking about core units that are the elements you use to create constructs (that are smaller than the entire tile)

But currently you can only have one core unit per construct so you wouldn't be able to have apartments or the like where multiple people can only edit parts of a larger construct. I have heard there may be a possibility of chaining multiple cores to build a construct, but I still think that another tool which allows you to add grid coordinate areas with specific rights would be the best.

13 hours ago, Shockeray said:

But currently you can only have one core unit per construct so you wouldn't be able to have apartments or the like where multiple people can only edit parts of a larger construct. I have heard there may be a possibility of chaining multiple cores to build a construct, but I still think that another tool which allows you to add grid coordinate areas with specific rights would be the best.

You can create a building by using many constructs, each one is an apartment with its own core unit