yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

• Will there be superficial elements that can be used for decoration? For example a microwave, curtains, effect elements like fire, power surges, electrical impulses, steam jets. Essentially items that help make a construct feel lived in, or make it feel real.

• Will there be a diverse material palette to choose from for making constructs? For example concrete, steel, rivets, patterned materials like steel panels, hexoganal patterns, leather etc. I believe you answered this question previously in this dev blog. https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

• Will there be furniture elements (I do not list these in superficla elements because these would be interactive)? For example will there be beds, chairs that characters can sit in using either a click to perform an animation or an emote such as /sit, /sleep, etc.

• Will there be elements that have moving parts or move? For example: Doors, sliding doors, sticky pistons (like minecraft).

There has been alot of footage of space ships flying around, but I was wondering if you will be able to roam around on foot, and if there will be any survival aspects on the game.

I just want a Use Case.

Describe an average players journey from start to being in a large organization involved in an interstellar war.  What are the various design elements that you think will guide players to playing the way you've envisioned?

Sure hope they haven't stopped taking questions... since they just tweeted a link to this thread 2 hours ago...

1) Can you tell us more about anchors and other mechanical blocks you're eventually planning?

2) Suppose I'm building a huge ship on a planet. Will we be able to build a piece of that ship on another planet, transport it and then merge it with the main ship body? In other words, will we be able to merge blocks entities?

3) There will be a combat system between players (without ships/stations or any construct). in other words, there will be pistols, rifles, and stuff like that to fight as a human? Will this combat be targetlocked or fps?

Hi everyone! 

Just to let you know:

All the questions have been sent to the dev team (even those from today ;))

As the amount of questions is quite significant, we probably won't answer all in a row. 

Don't hesitate to post other questions that come to your mind (they will just be answered after the previous ones in the list) :)

If the questions keep coming at a regular pace, it might become a weekly thing to give some answers regarding community questions.

Best regards.

Nyzaltar.

Just one question, how will the blueprint system talked about in the interview with Captain Shack work and how will you prevent people from stealing others ideas? Why need a blueprint when you can build it yourself?

Hi everyone! 

Just to let you know:

All the questions have been sent to the dev team (even those from today ;))

As the amount of questions is quite significant, we probably won't answer all in a row. 

Don't hesitate to post other questions that come to your mind (they will just be answered after the previous ones in the list) :)

If the questions keep coming at a regular pace, it might become a weekly thing to give some answers regarding community questions.

Best regards.

Nyzaltar.

To keep the hype going, new details weekly would be awesome!

I understand if this is too early to ask but what kind of Quality of Life, cosmetic and editor items are you considering for a game store? Will we be buying or creating our own avatar cosmetics and object livery? Will there be editor object/tool packs for creators to purchase? What type of official store is NQ looking to provide?

I was wondering how limiting the excavation and city building is going to be. Is it going to be possible to make an underground city? or a city in the trees? or excavate a house in a hill?.

I was also wondering how complex the physics engine will be. More specifically can, can players create gears and other mechanical parts, and use those together to make something entirely new?

Bit late, so question (maybe) for next time:

-Will game include some parts, which must be unlocked with NPC factions (reputation)?

Just to clarify, I mean some unique types of blocks, more powerful than basic, but can't be constructed/created by everyone. So if there would be NPC factions, playervjoin them, and then player can create these specific blocks.

P.S: Some blocks could be tradeable, some only for personal usage.

-What limit will be for construction (amount of blocks)?

I mean, how will you keep game in safe from players (it sound strange, but it is true), because crafting without limits, could hurt as gameplay, as game servers in the end.

Will it be amount of blocks? This will unbalanced, because 1 block of armour will have same limit price as top weapon.

Will it use something like CPU (name from another game)? So every single part will have own CPU cost.

no, i'm talking about ground combat, without ships, or any block at all.I'm talkig about Pvp wih just your character.

I'm pretty sure that's what that post was addressing, First Person Shooter targeting mechanics. 

With an Eve-Like targeting system in FPS mode, the game could very resemble the (first person) combat mechanics of something like Star Wars The Old Republic, Star Wars Galaxies, or even WoW.

Not having a real time call of duty-like combat system isn't the end of the world, it just means combat is going to resemble a more traditional MMO than, let's say, something like Star Citizen aims to achieve. 

Targetlocked. It has been confirmed some minutes ago.

*frown*

I honestly consider FPS mechanics to be more immersive. In turn I always consider the target systems we see in classic (or most) MMO(RPGs) to be "artifical" and ... weird. It's like shooting down an energy / health bar by spamming attacks opposed to actual tactical movement or combat methods. If the game can really deliver in other areas I guess I'll have to go through with this.

But this is a serious dampener for me so far until I see the precise targetlock system for DU in action.

First of all there will be debris of ships after a fight? Since they usually creates quite some load on the servers, will they be temporary so we have time to scavenge them, or will they float forever in the space? Will they be made out od voxels so we need to mine them like a terrain, or destroying a ship will just leave 1 or more loot boxes?

Okay first question, did yamamushi change his member portrait?  Second question.  yamamushi started this thread, and I figured my thoughts on the matter were more relevant here.  How will logging off work in a world where the location I logged off from can change so drastically?  If I'm a member of  crewed ship and it is destroyed when I'm offline what happens?  If I log my character avatar offline (or lose connection) on a planet and somebody builds a structure or digs a whole where I was what will happen when I log back on?

Okay first question, did yamamushi change his member portrait?  

Yes I did :-) It's a sketch someone made of me a few years ago from a picture a stranger snapped of me while I was eating at a diner at 3 in the morning. 

Yes I did :-) It's a sketch someone made of me a few years ago from a picture a stranger snapped of me while I was eating at a diner at 3 in the morning. People sometimes assume I'm in a band or something because of how I look, and I have been on TV a few times (The Daily Show, CNBC) but I really prefer being a pretty boring person when I can help it. 

You do look tired. :)

Games like gw2 or archeage have skills regarding movements (gap closers i.e.) and ground targeted area of effect (so targeted aoe, even if the game is targetlocked). Will we have that too?

Hi everyone!

Just to keep you updated on the topic (if you haven't seen it already on the social media):

To answer all the questions mentioned in this topic (and a few others) we've started an "AMA" ("Ask Me Anything" or more exactly "Ask Us Anything") event.

- We will answer one question per day, from Monday to Friday, during the following months.

- A topic is going to be created to list all the current questions in the Pipeline to give you some overview.

- All questions will be answered in an order pondered by 2 factors:

a ) the sooner the question has been posted, the sooner it will be answered.

b ) the more the question is about advanced gameplay, the later it will be answered.

Don't forget we are still in pre-alpha stage, so starting to talk in details about advanced gameplay features when the basic gameplay still need to be finalized, would be like putting the cart before the horse. Questions about advanced gameplay will be most likely pushed at the bottom of the list, in order to have as much info as we can share on the topic, and even then, don't expect a complete detailed answer for topics related to features that won't be available in the Alpha).

Best regards

Nyzaltar.

Hi,

Posted question on twitter (https://twitter.com/MrArchonious/status/748539930083758080), actually didn't plan to make it as AMA part, but I think it will be cool to include it.

Do you plan to release demo version of crafting before game open tests?

Would like to explain, why I ask that. As MMO with unlimited universe, game could be in lack of contacts (player to player) and dxploring of far space could be boring. At the same time, designing ships or fleets will take huge amount of time and resources of company. So imagine demo version of crafting model (no resources or time to build, like on E3 video). So players can create so ships - as small, as big. Then these ships could be published and voted. As the last DEV team can easy integrate the best works as NPC ships (traders, pirates, faction ships and other).

The best designers could work with developer design team in the end. For free or for free subscribe in future (as reward for good job).

This would be cheap for company and will bring great opportunity to feel the game with nice looking ships and space stations.

P.S: As one of Space Engineers players, I have seen really amazing ships in workshop, which far away from basic default ships in game. There are really talant crafters, I'm sure some would be happy to create something for you.

Thanks,

Archonious

I know that the foundation of Dual Universe needs to be built before "fluff" items are introduced, but will there eventually be a custom character creator. I am not looking for something super advanced like eyebrow adjustment, chin adjustment etc, but just something where we have an option to pick between  x amount of faces, x amount of hair styles, x amount of facial hair or makeup so on and so forth?

Dual looks to be a very immersive game with governments and player creations, I feel that having the toons in game be unique is an important aspect of immersion. One thing I do not care for in space engineers is that everyone looks the same.