yamamushi

Q&A Compilation Thread

We are always open to Q&A.

It would be a good moment to start a new thread to compile all the most pressing questions with all the new members who arrived in the last week. Prepare your list, and we will discuss soon about it. However, keep in mind we can't promise to give you a precise answer for all questions as, as always, we are just in pre-alpha and many things are far from being finalized  ;)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

As suggested by NQ-Nyzaltar, I'm starting this thread for new members from the past week to collect their questions for NQ to answer. 

To start off, my questions are:

1) What features from Unigine's Physics Engine are being considered for use in DU? https://unigine.com/en/products/engine/versatile-platform

2) How will water work in DU? Will it be a full fluid system, or will it simply be placeholder texture?

3) When can we expect the crowdfunding phase to begin?

4) How long are you intending new players to play before they are able to build vehicles capable of travelling to space? Will we be playing for weeks or months researching the technology to get there, or will we all be flying around by the end of the first day? 

5) Can we get a subforum for fanart/fanfiction/etc? 

6) What pieces of science fiction are influences for the developers? Are there any Jodorowsky (Incal/Metabarons) fans amongst them? :-)

7) Is there any more information available about the new community site that was mentioned at E3? 

8) Can we get devblog about how Stargates are going to be built? Will players be able to fly for months to their stargate destination instead of sending probes? That was a really interesting topic during the interview with CaptainShack I hope we get more information about :-)

9) Could we get a bit more information about how combat is intended to work? It was also mentioned during the aforementioned interview, but I didn't fully understand the mechanics of the limitations of the engine. 

I hope others can contribute to the list of questions and perhaps NQ can pick and choose which ones they feel like they can answer. I'm sure some of our questions have already been answered as well, so pointers to the relevant posts/links would be helpful for the new members too. 

Here are some answers that I know. 

2. We dont know, water is confirmed but we dont know how it will function. 

3. End of 2016, a few months before Alpha release. The date hasnt been released yet. 

4. Unknown. Personally the impression seems to be months to get off planet. 

5. 'The Library of Mankind' is where this would go. 

7. Nothing released yet. 

8. The one mention of it so far is here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/281-diversity-of-battles-and-wars/

Nyzaltar responded with some comments on friendly fire and the targeting system. 

There was something about collisions not being destructive like SE, but I dont recall where that was talked about. 

Sorry i'm not so good at questions, at least for the moment, because its still a bit nebulous, the only things that are certain (at least as far as i know) are Voxel, Multiplayer and the rights & duties managment system (i use them as broader terms i know there is more) and regarding this i have no questions, so i would simply say "please give us a list with all feature that are currently implemented or planned and how they work or how you want them to work" and if i get such a list i will have probably a few questions :D

It will definitely be interesting to see how star gates and fighting mechanics will work. I'm liking the idea that stuff takes time. Glad I have a long time to prepare how I'm going to play since so many games out today are instant gratification type.

Mechanical contraption: Will the game feature moving parts that allow us to connect multiple player built structures? I don't just mean animated prefabs like turrets and doors, but more along the lines of Sliding rails, rotors, hinges, and everything that connects one voxel structure to another? If so, how the game is going to handle it in terms of physics? Will we be able to script the contraptions using LUA?

Construction Elements: Are they all going to be accessible to everyone or will they need to be obtained/unlocked in some way? If it's the later, how would they be unlocked? Finding and scanning them? Research trees? skill trees? Purchasing them? How do you plan on introducing new elements or variants of existing elements into the gaming world as the game develops?

Multi-block systems: Do you plan on modular systems that would allow us to create and further customize things such as weapons and thrusters out of more basic components? How does your block-check / event-listener system work underneath the gameplay?

Block interaction: Will the game have concrete interactions between the avatar and the structs beyond walking in them and sitting in piloting chairs? Will there be a way to hold or pull on a block of metal? Would we be able to place something like a handle or attach any elements to the avatar? 

FTL: Another current hot topic which you've probably already have made some decisions on, will the mentioned stargates function as point to point or more like a dial system from the trope-naming show/movie? What other kind of FTL capabilities will the game provide and what are the implications of said FTL technique? Will there be a "hyperspace" dimension to travel through? Will we have Alcubierre warp bubbles? The hitchiker's guide to the galaxy improbability drive? A BSG style jumpdrive? A whole new FTL trope never before seen in sci-fi?

Organizations: Will there be a limit to how many organizations can you belong too? Will you be able to be a citizen of a player nation and an employee of a corporation and the leader of the Thursday space knitting club? Will the organizations themselves be able to place limit on which other organizations you can belong too in the case of conflicted factions? Will players be able to see which organizations you belong too? Is there a minimum number of players to start an organization?

Survival features: A lot of talk about this lately, which - if any - of the staples of survival gameplay do you have plans to incorporate? Oxygen? Water? Food?

Fauna interaction: One thing procedural generation allows for is a very diverse collection of fauna, and you did mention fauna. But how do we interact with it? Are they there for the scenery and to try and kill us, or will interacting with them have some gameplay value? If so, what kind of value? Food? DNA samples? Pets?

Server architecture: In the interview with mmorpg.com you guys describe how the single shard will split the server spatially based on the number of players (and I am guessing the size and level of details of structs?). I would like to know how this would effect syncing between those servers, when in dense player populations even the most basic interactions can end up running on more then one server. If I fall in the middle of a shopping mall where each floor has enough players to count for its own servers, would I end up freezing every few meters? Can a ship in a large battle shoot a missile at someone in another server? What about path-finding for NPCs? How far are you in developing the server architecture to support this? How far have you managed to push and stress-test the system?

I have a few questions I can think of right now.

First, before the questions, can we get an official word from the devs about the subject on MODs we can refer people to? It seems to be a popular subject among the newer members.

Now for my personal questions:

1.)  In the E3 video, it shows what looks like a pre-made cockpit. When it comes to things like that and ship cores/engines, will we be limited to pre-made assets? Or, will there be a possibility to design our own?

2.) What are the possibilities of fan stories being added to the game lore?

3.) Will there be day/night cycles unique to each planet? For example, will Alioth orbit its sun, and spin on its axis, or will day/night just update when you enter the atmosphere.

4.) Thinking about the possibility of thousands of people playing at launch, will EVERYONE start at the exact same place, or are there talks of multiple arkships around a galaxy for people to spawn at? 

5.) Will Sohan Decker be an NPC in game? Or, is that a hint at one of the devs in-game name?

6.) will anything mentioned in the lore(i.e. Sohan's statue) be something players can see in-game?

If I come up with more questions I will either update this post, or post again. Depending on the amount of posts that appear here.

Thanks in advanced for any answer we can get!

-TrihXeen

three questions came just in my mind:

1. when will the mentioned web-based faction features be released?

2. will it have some sort of simulated or real ingame features, such as the rights & duties management, taxes, salaries, etc.? Because it would be nice to be able to layout these things before release of the game, so that you can actually play instead of first spending hours in organizing your faction before you can play.

3. will it have a own forum, member lists and such things and will the administrator/leader of the faction be able to hide or show this things in public?

Edit1: to clearify things

Yes i have seen and read it, if you mean we could work with this information, to layout our organization, then would i say yes that is true, but to get a picture how it works doesn't mean that you really know how it is working exactly.

If you mean something other, then please specify.

Next question for the devs:

Will there be some kind of bulletin board in game, so that players can leave requests and announcements?

Edit1: added the question

Hi everyone and thanks to Yamamushi to have started the thread! 

(I was going to start it this morning but he was quicker than me :P)

You can post all your questions until Sunday, I will then collect all of them for the team and we will give you the answers next week :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

Since this thread is starting, do we want to start a Wiki for everything that is "known" (confirmed so far--subject to change)?

Wiki's are not something that I have never started, but have worked with.   It would seem to me that it might be a good tool for putting all the information that we know in one place.   Let's face it--this is going to get really complex really fast.

Yes i have seen and read it, if you mean we could work with this information, to layout our organization, then would i say yes that is true, but to get a picture how it works doesn't mean that you really know how it is working exactly.

Right, I'm not sure if they have something that they can show at this point. I imagine they probably do, but it could change in the future, so it would probably be something they release and explain closer to beta IMO.

I know that a lot of things are likely to be procedurally generated, but what is the range of planet sizes we can expect to see? Especially the starter planet(s)? With an expectation that the initial rush for the game will hopefully top 1 million players, I would hate to try to compete for resources or building space on a planet that is only 20-30km.

1. How far along are you in the conceptual stage of development? We enjoy contributing ideas here on the forum because we know the game is still in development, but it would be nice to know if there are features of the game that you are almost certain will not change before final release?

2. Quality Control. I am thrilled with the idea of player made content, but I also don't want to see many horrendously ugly/joke construct designs, silly ship/organization names i.e. ("Test Alliance Please Ignore" from Eve), or anything that breaks the immersion of being in a sci-fi universe. Does the dev. team have any ideas about how to make the game mechanics favor better aesthetics?

Thanks,

-Code24

Will we be able to build multiblock weapons/shields/thrusters from predefined building blocks , that will have stats basen on how are they build?

If not , will there at least be (patly) adjustible weapons? For example : There is that laser turret - when placed it set to damage 40% rate of fire 40% range 40% (so it has ==> damage 412 rate of fire 2,1 range 846 )and I want it agains fighters I adjust it to damage 12% rate of fire 100% (nonstop beam) range 8%  so it has (damage 120 rate of fire 0,1 range 540) ??

2. Quality Control. I am thrilled with the idea of player made content, but I also don't want to see many horrendously ugly/joke construct designs, silly ship/organization names i.e. ("Test Alliance Please Ignore" from Eve), or anything that breaks the immersion of being in a sci-fi universe. Does the dev. team have any ideas about how to make the game mechanics favor better aesthetics?

I believe this is referred to as "TTP" in the game development community (urban dictionary it). 

Hi!

I just stumbled over this topic.

Is this going to work on a weekly basis (questions from every week are collected here until sunday, and if possible answered the next week) or is it going to be a new topic every week or every time you start a Q&A?

Just in case it's not too late to post something here, I'd like to ask a few things that I'm really curious about:

1. - Oxygen mechanics -

Is this something that the DEVs are still thinking about? I know that there have been more rather negative posts about this, but in a space-sim game that is so focused on immersion - how should that work without? In my opinion, this is something really crucial.

2. - collisions & collision damage -

How is this going to be implemented? Just like my first question, I think of this as a "how"-question rather than an "if"-question, as it will be very important for a realistic gameplay.

3. - damage mechanics (in general) -

How is damage going to work? Are there plans for more or less precise hit calculations, or does a ship just have a specific amount of hitpoints, which decrease if its getting hit - along with a random damage visualisation (like in some RTS games)?

If it's going to be the second (I really hope it's not going to be like this) type - how should making holes / hull breaches in specific areas and then boarding other ships work (this was mentioned in the dev blog)?

4. - ingame records and accounts -

How do I keep track of, for example the financial state of my ingame company?

For example, if I found a company, build it up and then assign a CEO, so I'm able to do something else - will there be an ingame mechanic to check what exactly he or she is actually doing with the money / resources of my company?

5. - dogfighting -

Since weapons are said to be working on a lock-on / skill / probability basis, how is dogfighting with fighters going to work? Will there be some mechanics for fixed weapons on fighters?

Edit: This could also be a thing when it comes to large fixed weapons on capital ships, like the MAC cannons in Halo, or the ion cannons in Homeworld.

Edit 2: One thing I almost forgot:

6. - jump drives / FTL travel -

Are there plans for jump drives / FTL engines that don't need stargates?

Having a ship capable of traveling ftl by itself would be really good for exploration.

Balancing could be done in a similar way to the jump drives in space engineers, where ship mass and energy limit jump distance.

Greetings

TheRealBeowulf

Hi everyone and thanks to Yamamushi to have started the thread! 

(I was going to start it this morning but he was quicker than me :P)

You can post all your questions until Sunday, I will then collect all of them for the team and we will give you the answers next week :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

Sunday... seems, I have seen it to late. What about doing something like this again each month?

Just in case:

• You talked about DU being a MMORPG. What exactly will make up the RPG part?
  • Please tell us something more about space exploration in DU
  • Will there be npc ships to fight anywhere (aliens, pirates, decendents from other arkships etc.)?
  • Will it ever be possible to build everything needed to leave a starsystem for a single player within a reasonable amount of time and luck (i.e. to not be shooted to pieces by dozens of player while attempting doing so)
  • What about possible safe zones in space like ancient invincible spacestations, weaponhindering nebulae etc. ?