Water Planets

yamamushi

After seeing this demonstration of the water physics capabilities of Unigine, the engine Dual Universe recently switched to from Unreal 4, I would really like to be able to find planets completely covered with water that require massive oil rig type barges to survive on the rough surface:

Of course the easy alternative to living on the surface would be living underwater, and I'm certainly not opposed to living in a Sealab.

Or even Fhloston Paradise :D

fhloston-paradise-retro-travel.jpg

now i have thoughts of kevin costnor and waterworld....thanks lol

i would like to see some diffrent kind of worlds than just primarily terra. even a world more like earth would be cool. id like to explore the deep seas in a sub or a ship that can do water

Dang it! You have peaked my interest and now I will come up with the ideas of water planets!

Ok so if we have water planets, this could lead to some interesting bases and as such. If so, it might be possible to establish facilities on them. Even if the devs didn't program that in though, I imagine players would figure out ways. Other things thought that have come to me....

I can see water planets as a good way to collect oxygen and hydrogen by collecting the water and breaking it down. Therefor, you could provide the oxygen needed for a ship to have a breathable atmosphere and as well, hydrogen, which might have a useful element in engines. For instance, hydrogen, being a potential fuel for some ships, would work well. As such, it might be possible to create generators and power plants based off of hydrogen burning. Not to mention water turbines providing some power. This is the potential of having a water planet.

However, I'm not done yet. There is a possibility of having underwater operations. So maybe a submarine could be deployed and explore underwater areas. This being said, it would be quite amazing to see underwater combat take root and have the potential to fight on these planets with the right gear. This as well could give a user an advantage to have a underwater capable craft and defending a water planet.

I have some more ideas but I'll wait and see what other people post first.

Yes please!

I've been developing a conceptual design for my own near future science fiction setting for a video game that I hope to develop.

I looked into pen and paper RPGs for inspiration for world building, technology, politics, social relations, character building, wild life, and ecology.

The Blue Planet pen and Paper RPG by Biohazard Games offers a wealth of material which could be drawn from and used to inspire a Ocean Based science fiction video game. I think I may investigate the possibility of asking to officially license the IP. 

http://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/blueplanet/

More specific to Dual Universe, I'm hoping that the Voxel Building Toolset will be sufficiently powerful to create structures like those envisaged by Belgian architect Vincent Callebaut. Specifically his Lillypad Floating settlement.

http://vincent.callebaut.org/planche-lilypad_pl29.html

I'd like to be able to build Floating Settlements and equip them with defensive weapon systems, aircraft launchpads, radars, boat docks, mariculture installation, algaeculture tanks to supply food and feedstock for bioreactors, bioreactors for fuel, biomaterials, and pharmaceuticals, structures for player residences, public amenities, scientific research, and entertainment. 

To allow players to customize their characters with ocean environment specific equipment, abilities and enhancements, such as scuba gear, motorised personal propulsion vehicles for divers, or a biological enhancement that allows them to breathe underwater. It would also be cool to have the ability to biologically modify the appearance of player characters. They could be modified to manifest traits associated with marine creatures, eg. gills, shark mouth, fins, sharp teeth, octopus arms, spines etc.

To have uplifted, intelligent marine creatures who would make good companions. They could be equipped with special suits and/or mechanical apparatus to allow them to operate in environments foreign to their natural precursors and enhanced with biotech modifications, cybernetic enhancements, and augmented with communications and weapons systems.. 

To be able to build underwater bases with defensive weapon systems, submarine pens to hold large submarine vehicles, large airlocks for divers and small submersibles, automated hangar bay doors, pumps to remove the water, glass bubble observation domes, transparent windows and sensor arrays, 

• 5 months later...