Question about energy and projectile weapons

So, I was thinking of what it would be like to build a Death Star or Starkiller Base in this game and i wondered, how far would that beam of energy be able to travel in the game?

Could I, for example, have a Starkiller type base in one system and shot at a planet many systems away? Would the beam continue to travel until it hits something?

What about projectile type weapons? If I shoot a ball of tungsten from my rail gun will it just keep going if it doesn't hit anything? Would it be effected by gravity in the game and have an arc when I am in orbit of a planet?

After a big space battle near a planet is there go to be a ton of debris orbiting around the planet hitting ships when they try to approach?

Edit: (Not entirely sure if this is the right subforum for this, if not, feel free to move it)

So, I was thinking of what it would be like to build a Death Star or Starkiller Base in this game and i wondered, how far would that beam of energy be able to travel in the game?

Could I, for example, have a Starkiller type base in one system and shot at a planet many systems away? Would the beam continue to travel until it hits something?

What about projectile type weapons? If I shoot a ball of tungsten from my rail gun will it just keep going if it doesn't hit anything? Would it be effected by gravity in the game and have an arc when I am in orbit of a planet?

After a big space battle near a planet is there go to be a ton of debris orbiting around the planet hitting ships when they try to approach?

Edit: (Not entirely sure if this is the right subforum for this, if not, feel free to move it)

Interesting questions :o I have honestly no idea but I am curious to find out more :D

this would be cool if done right, also adds the possibility of scavenging those dead ships as well.

Well, if they want to go realistic then the laser/energy weapons would have a limited lethal range. Lasers suffer from the divergence of the beam, so after awhile the power of the laser is spread over a larger area. The loss of power concentration makes it less dangerous after a certain point, so that could be a way the devs choose to limit the range of a laser/energy weapon.

Well, if they want to go realistic then the laser/energy weapons would have a limited lethal range. Lasers suffer from the divergence of the beam, so after awhile the power of the laser is spread over a larger area. The loss of power concentration makes it less dangerous after a certain point, so that could be a way the devs choose to limit the range of a laser/energy weapon.

isn't that "lethal range" quite far tho? Since lazers have a quite thin spread?

isn't that "lethal range" quite far tho? Since lazers have a quite thin spread?

A laser pointed to the moon will spread to about 2ish km diameter. I haven't done the math in a while, but the spread is not insignificant.

In an interview with JC Baille on the XPGamers YouTube Channel, he said that weapon damage an hits will be calculated based on weapons and skills of the user. Hit probabilities will be used, and there won't be actual projectiles. I also read something like that in other posts - this method is said to be a lot less expensive when it comes to server resources.

Having projectiles as separate entities would kill performance in large battles - at least with server technology that's available today.

Plese correct me if I got that wrong, but I think that's how weapons are planned to work at the current state.

In an interview with JC Baille on the XPGamers YouTube Channel, he said that weapon damage an hits will be calculated based on weapons and skills of the user. Hit probabilities will be used, and there won't be actual projectiles. I also read something like that in other posts - this method is said to be a lot less expensive when it comes to server resources.

Having projectiles as separate entities would kill performance in large battles - at least with server technology that's available today.

Plese correct me if I got that wrong, but I think that's how weapons are planned to work at the current state.

So... you can't turn asteroids and planets into weapons themselves? No collisions?

There's another topic where weapon mechanics from the interview are discussed:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/775-target-damage-combat-and-fixed-weapons/#entry6338

They didn't say that there won't be collision damage, but that adding this feature could have a large downside when it comes to server resources (I think it was Nyzaltar who said something like that , but I didn't find the post)

I would also really like to see things like collision damage (and also oxygen mechanics - I know I already said that ;) ) but we'll have to see if the DEVs can find a way to implement this in such a huge scale project without killing performance.

In this early state of development we all have the chance to tell them what we would like to see and what features are most important to us. So keep up the discussion and never say never ;)

i think there will be collisions, but not collision damage. To calculate the damage there's a lot of load on the server. 

Regarding range of weapons, pretty sure there's going to be a limit, but still ranging from 2km to 70-80km maybe.

I found the topic where NC-Nyzaltar posted some thoughts about orbit to ground combat and collision damage:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/388-few-questions-on-ship-and-ground-mecheanics

(I hope the link will work - sometimes it doesn't when I'm writing on my phone)

He said that orbit to ground combat might be a possible feature. The DEVs are also thinking about collision damage, but it might be difficult to handle - so it might not make it's way into the game.

most certainly not as it would use up an enormous amount of server power.

So, I guess we can rule out Death Stars, Starkiller Bases, and throwing asteroids like Starship Troopers ( I think that's right).

Actually, Death Stars may be possible. I don't know the details, but in an interview on some website, I read that one of the devs are hoping people work towards building their own version of the Death Star. This isn't a solid confirmation but it sounds like it might happen. Here's the quote.

"Players will be free to build ships with any designs that they can conceive, as well as buildings or space stations. In fact, Baille is eagerly hoping a few thousand enterprising players will work towards building their own version of a Death Star."

Actually, Death Stars may be possible. I don't know the details, but in an interview on some website, I read that one of the devs are hoping people work towards building their own version of the Death Star. This isn't a solid confirmation but it sounds like it might happen. Here's the quote.

"Players will be free to build ships with any designs that they can conceive, as well as buildings or space stations. In fact, Baille is eagerly hoping a few thousand enterprising players will work towards building their own version of a Death Star."

That's what got me thinking about it, but if you have to get your Death Star within 80km to fire it at something you might as well build a million tie fighters.

That's what got me thinking about it, but if you have to get your Death Star within 80km to fire it at something you might as well build a million tie fighters.

It has also been confirmed that there will be no super weapons. I also just found out that there will be no limit to how big you can go with designs and such. So building a Deathstar/Starkiller Base will be possible. Having it destroy star systems, not so much.

It has also been confirmed that there will be no super weapons. I also just found out that there will be no limit to how big you can go with designs and such. So building a Deathstar/Starkiller Base will be possible. Having it destroy star systems, not so much.

Well, if ballistic weapons have kinetic energy dispersion properties, I have some bad news for... well, everyone. Broadsides from a deathstar's bajillion cannons. While blowing up systems won't be in the game, making the surface of a planet into cream cheese by hurling a meteor shower by a giant penis-shaped battleship in space, COULD be a possibility. I mean,a resource hog, SURE, but a possibility nonetheless.

Well, if ballistic weapons have kinetic energy dispersion properties, I have some bad news for... well, everyone. Broadsides from a deathstar's bajillion cannons. While blowing up systems won't be in the game, making the surface of a planet into cream cheese by hurling a meteor shower by a giant penis-shaped battleship in space, COULD be a possibility. I mean,a resource hog, SURE, but a possibility nonetheless.

I tried to like your post, but it told me my limit of positive likes had been reached.

i think there will be collisions, but not collision damage. To calculate the damage there's a lot of load on the server. 

I can live with no collision damage, but when it comes to the collision, is it possible for the bigger/heavier ship to push the obstacle away? Or can one single fighter stop a huge battleship with only pressing against it (because the server cannot calculate the physics)?

I can live with no collision damage, but when it comes to the collision, is it possible for the bigger/heavier ship to push the obstacle away? Or can one single fighter stop a huge battleship with only pressing against it (because the server cannot calculate the physics)?

That would be silly and annoying as fuck xD