Complicated building?

bramborakov

Sorry if this was mentioned already, I could not find it

Also plz excuse my bad english

I wonder how complicated building is aimed for.

From trailer it seems as pretty much better starmade - as easy as possible

Just place ftat platform cocpit in front,reactor behind it , a bit armor aroud it , thruster in every direction - 2 forvard and upward and u have basic ship.Maybe you add a small space for cargo.

For me it just seems a little too shoddy - I´m not saying(writing) that it should be hardcore and would have to sit hours planning it, but when u pile up few componets and hope it will fly - it should not

​For example having to connect things that require energy with wires/cables/other physical means would (i hope) mean that though u still could build ship simly by placing componets on platform and connecting it through the armor

​It would also allow a critical hits

(for example you get lucky and hit a cable that is powering a imporant omponet - like a weapon or thruster -- and though the (probably expensive and well armored or higher HP) component would not be destroyed it would be offline(not fuction) ).

​More thought out ships would have less weak points , but they would take more time(or/and experience) to invent.

And how could you destroy a deathstar without weakpoint?? :D

Based on this devblog , https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/#more-512 (which I think may also answer some of your questions about how complex shipbuilding is), it sounds like the intention is not to have cabling running from each component into a central core.

However, as was brought up several times in another thread last night, adding the requirement for needing to run wiring from component to component (eventually into the core) would add not only combat features (as you pointed out) but also new job types (electricians specifically). 

For smaller ships, running cable would be fairly trivial, provided you design your components with the necessary wiring space in mind. For larger ships, you would have groups of electricians running cabling all over the place, and ultimately end up with "experts" who know the intricacies of how various parts of capital ships are wired. It would kind of give a purpose to needing a maintenance crew around to troubleshoot problems that aren't simply just repairing damaged hulls. 

What I have seen from the building it depends completely on how detailed you want it. it is a case of your own work and such.

The ships they showed were really simple, yes, but that is due to them not really focusing on it for the moment, they mostly wanted to show off.

There has/should to be away to break down the "voxel block" Into smaller segments to accommodate wiring or even plumbing. Many times in Space Engineers it's really a turn off to have this huge massive block  as a wall or hull when all you really wanted was a half block that would have 50% less integrity. One of the neat features that came out on modded minecraft was a new mod called chisel n bits. Granted minecraft is pixels in a block this mod was able to take those pixels to create shapes that could still be placed with in the 1x1x1 cube. For me in a game like this it would be really awesome if you could see how intricate a wiring/plumbing design could become.

I see an Ace hardware shop in game lol.

Based on my building in another voxel game building will be both simple and complex.

Basically, it will most likely be simple to build and lay down shapes to get thigns working...but for more asthetically pleasing designs it will take more effort on your creativity.

See my signature to a link to my twitter, browse through my photos and you will see some voxel spaceships. Hope this helps give you an idea.

There has/should to be away to break down the "voxel block" Into smaller segments to accommodate wiring or even plumbing. Many times in Space Engineers it's really a turn off to have this huge massive block  as a wall or hull when all you really wanted was a half block that would have 50% less integrity. One of the neat features that came out on modded minecraft was a new mod called chisel n bits. Granted minecraft is pixels in a block this mod was able to take those pixels to create shapes that could still be placed with in the 1x1x1 cube. For me in a game like this it would be really awesome if you could see how intricate a wiring/plumbing design could become.

I see an Ace hardware shop in game lol.

What I have seen of the game (which isn't that much) it seems as you can modify how big the voxels are. So I THINK you could porentially make something SUPER detailed if you just use small enough voxels... but that might just be something I have missunderstood.

Technically, the voxel is not the cube but the underlying information that defines the coordinates in a three dimensional grid.

Yeah, I know, it's a mouthful  :)  But if you are building in a voxel world and your really want to understand how things interact you cannot just think of the voxels as "cubes".  Voxels are the information that is represented by the cube in space.   Gawd......this is painful to try and explain.

Anyway, try not to think of a voxel as just a cube, but information that is going to react with the information of the voxel that is next to it....why you say?  Well, depending on the engine, a voxel may react differently (change its shape) depending on which voxel is next to it--and its position in relationship to that voxel.    If any of you have been in Landmark, that is how you get anti-voxels, putty voxels, prime voxels, and the like.   Now, the size of the space that a voxel can normally take up is governed by the engine and is normally set by the game developer.  They can have multiple default sizes, but the smaller you go, the more the server has to keep track of all those little bits--and all the information that lives in them.   Depending on the voxel engine and how the developer sets the defaults, voxels can also have mass, gravity, inertia, rotation, all kinds of things.  All of those things have their own processing costs on the server and your local machine. 

So, really, when it comes down to it, when you say "voxel" you are really just saying "a virtual blob of stuff".  Until we get more input from NQ on what they are going to give us to play with, we are just guessing.  Given that they are working with a server architecture that I do not believe any of us have worked in, I don't think we have a clue what those blobs of stuff are going to be able to do and not do and what the limitations will be  :)  Unless of course, there someone from NQ drops that information to us at some point <nudge nudge, wink wink>

<taking off nerd hat>

Technically, the voxel is not the cube but the underlying information that defines the coordinates in a three dimensional grid.

Yeah, I know, it's a mouthful   :)  But if you are building in a voxel world and your really want to understand how things interact you cannot just think of the voxels as "cubes".  Voxels are the information that is represented by the cube in space.   Gawd......this is painful to try and explain.

Anyway, try not to think of a voxel as just a cube, but information that is going to react with the information of the voxel that is next to it....why you say?  Well, depending on the engine, a voxel may react differently (change its shape) depending on which voxel is next to it--and its position in relationship to that voxel.    If any of you have been in Landmark, that is how you get anti-voxels, putty voxels, prime voxels, and the like.   Now, the size of the space that a voxel can normally take up is governed by the engine and is normally set by the game developer.  They can have multiple default sizes, but the smaller you go, the more the server has to keep track of all those little bits--and all the information that lives in them.   Depending on the voxel engine and how the developer sets the defaults, voxels can also have mass, gravity, inertia, rotation, all kinds of things.  All of those things have their own processing costs on the server and your local machine. 

So, really, when it comes down to it, when you say "voxel" you are really just saying "a virtual blob of stuff".  Until we get more input from NQ on what they are going to give us to play with, we are just guessing.  Given that they are working with a server architecture that I do not believe any of us have worked in, I don't think we have a clue what those blobs of stuff are going to be able to do and not do and what the limitations will be   :)  Unless of course, there someone from NQ drops that information to us at some point <nudge nudge, wink wink>

<taking off nerd hat>

True...

but I think that is determined also in shape. like you can take a... triangle for example and make it bigger or smaller and such, and if you want to make it detailed you have to use "small" voxels (in the sense that you use small cubes) to build your stuff which isn't already pre-built.

True...

but I think that is determined also in shape. like you can take a... triangle for example and make it bigger or smaller and such, and if you want to make it detailed you have to use "small" voxels (in the sense that you use small cubes) to build your stuff which isn't already pre-built.

In a way, we should be able to change the size of something like a triangle.  But on the small end it can only really go as small as one voxel cut in half diagonally.  You'll probably be able to make a triangle almost as large as you want too, but it will technically be made up of many voxels.  

You can make a voxel smaller then the standard grid too.  But because everything is on a grid, you are also making all the surrounding voxels larger, or at least moving one corner in closer to make the central voxel smaller.   In reverse you can also make one voxel appear larger, but to do it all the surrounding voxels have to move to make room.

Working at the highest detail level with voxels can be pretty tedious in other games, but i think their aim for DU is that we will be doing much less tinkering with voxels on the smallest scale and more building with pre-made shapes at a larger scale.

edit: Here is a little piece of someone's tutorial from the game Landmark.  They're basically explaining two different ways that a triangle can be made.  You can see in either example it requires other nearby voxels to be altered too.

IWS8OnP.jpg