unit of meserment?

williamcaw

hello every one.

the thing that is on my mind right now is how big is one cube.

most games have a variable size to them and i was just wondering how big is one this is so i can start dreaming of ships.

this also helps people find out how long to make there ships and the units used to give how much room and tolerances that we can have while designing a capital ship  or supersized chassis for maintenance and genera ware and tare repairs of our ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_ship_types

comparison%20of%20ships.PNG

hello every one.

the thing that is on my mind right now is how big is one cube.

most games have a variable size to them and i was just wondering how big is one this is so i can start dreaming of ships.

this also helps people find out how long to make there ships and the units used to give how much room and tolerances that we can have while designing a capital ship  or supersized chassis for maintenance and genera ware and tare repairs of our ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_ship_types

http://www.thebahrainconspiracy.com/resources/comparison%20of%20ships.PNG

Welcome to the Forums of DU, nice to see a person who's thinking about classic ships not the space ships variety :)

To answer your question, the size of each place-able voxel block in DU will be 25cm^3 minimum, the maximum place-able block size has not been confirmed, although the maximum size of ship is potentially infinite.

For elements obviously the size is not restricted to anything as they are pre-designed by the Devs and, as far as we know, uneditable.

Hope this helps, and i hope you enjoy your stay in the forums :)

nora,

To answer your question, the size of each place-able voxel block in DU will be 25cm^3 minimum, the maximum place-able block size has not been confirmed, although the maximum size of ship is potentially infinite.

I was actually wondering  this as well. I originally hadn't thought about any type of "ship" are vehicle besides space ships(whether it be personal or large), but after this thread I am thinking about more ships and vehicles for planetary use.

I was actually wondering  this as well. I originally hadn't thought about any type of "ship" are vehicle besides space ships(whether it be personal or large), but after this thread I am thinking about more ships and vehicles for planetary use.

Well with anti-grav technology being part of the universe I'm imagining that most planetary vehicles will mostly be of the "hover car" type. Wheels and fluid mechanics are certainly possible but if it saves them dev. time I would wan't this to be implemented later.

I anticipate that there will be people who will complain the voxel size is rather large to provide fine detail, but also keep in mind the you will have tools to modify the shape of the voxel.  Usually there are smoothing/rounding tools that allow you to shape voxels.  There are usually also voxel primitives for spheres, pyramids, slopes, and the like.  I do not know if it will be possible with this voxel engine, but in some engines you can use a "voxel reactor" to actually modify the shape of the voxel from something other than a cube.  When you please one of these modified voxels next to another you can get some odd bits, but it does provide a great deal more ability to provide detail on a smaller scale.

I'm glad we're going with the metric system :D

25 cm for the player voxels and 100 cm for the world voxels. The large size of the world voxels helps to reduce strain on the system and they do not need the fidelity a 25 cm voxel can provide. Dual uses "Dual Contouring" on the voxels that allows them to have curves and angled shapes. This allows for just about any kind of shape one can think of, within the limits of the 25 cm voxel size.

If we are able to do in Dual, what I have done in another voxel game that uses smoothing, we will see some cool stuff in Dual.

Click my signature which will take you to my twitter page, if you browse through my pictures you will see some of the spaceships I have made that potentially could also be made in Dual.