Mouse and Keyboard Flight Controls

So i was wondering how the flight controls for the game are going to be. Will it be like space engineers where you have to keep your mouse moving in the direction you wish to go like in Space Engineers, will there be a tethered-reticle style in which the ship moves in the direction the cursor is from the center of the screen like in Elite Dangerous, or will there be some other form of control. 

As of right now, i personally prefer the elite dangerous version, but whatever it is, i really hope the axis of movement is customizable unlike in Planetside 2. i know some like the mouse controlling pitch and roll, but i like it controlling pitch and yaw. I don't see why there can't be both options.

What is everyone elses opinion on the matter.

I've yet to see a first person mouse and keyboard flight system I like.  Joystick only for first person... though I guess game pad might be tolerable.

Third person view though... mouse and keyboard can be alright.

Also click to move there 2D plane space is well suited to the mouse and keyboard... but Not the type of movement I expect to see in this game.

As long as the game will be released for pc, it has to offer mouse and keyboard control. Simply because many people don't like or even own joysticks or gamepads. When you use them, you have to realize, the game is split between cockpitmode and walking somewhere. Your UI and your options will be different. Who(nobody?) wants to use totally different controls for either playmode?

I think it depends on the ship. A small fighter type ship, which is very mobile and such will probably use the mouse a bit like a FPS... you go where the mouse is aiming while you use the keyboard for diffrent things, like thrusters, shields, boosters, "breaks" (meaning that you basicly attempt to go backwards) ect...

but on bigger capital ships, I imagine you would use your mouse too, but more like a tactical way, you click where you want to go and the ship travels there, since honestly, trying to DIRECTLY controll a massive ship like that, can be rather annoying.

I honestly almost imagine that the commander not really has that much controll over where the ship goes, but he is the one giving orders and such, and the other players have to make sure it goes there, if we think capitalships.

Why not just leave it up to the individual player how they want to operate their vehicles?

I know that in the pilot's seat I'll want to be using a joystick, whereas otherwise I'll want to use my keyboard and mouse to get around. 

Though my preference shouldn't necessarily exclude groups of players who want to be able to use gamepads, etc. 

As long as there is a full featured keymapper menu available in the settings, along with sensitivity settings for controllers, I think everyone will be able to find a solution that works for them.

Why not just leave it up to the individual player how they want to operate their vehicles?

I know that in the pilot's seat I'll want to be using a joystick, whereas otherwise I'll want to use my keyboard and mouse to get around. 

Though my preference shouldn't necessarily exclude groups of players who want to be able to use gamepads, etc. 

As long as there is a full featured keymapper menu available in the settings, along with sensitivity settings for controllers, I think everyone will be able to find a solution that works for them.

With the way it sounds that the game is being made, this will be how it is. Allowing controls for ships to be set up by the player. Like yamamushi said, as long as there are keymapping abilities, everyone will be able to have the controls they want.

With the way it sounds that the game is being made, this will be how it is. Allowing controls for ships to be set up by the player. Like yamamushi said, as long as there are keymapping abilities, everyone will be able to have the controls they want.

I think I will stay with my mouse and keyboard personally.

I'm interested in the following:

Key presses

Mouse X/Y coordinates

Mouse Buttons

Multiple analog variables from -1 to 1 that can be mapped from joystick, VR headsets, gamepads, or any other device.

Other device buttons

And a virtual joystick solution for those that want to use one.

Then let me set them up how I'd like.

when it comes to gaming iv always like mouse and keyboard set up. one of the main reasons I actually like pc gaming over console (other than pc community is just so much better). but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for them to have multiple map options. be cool to see if you could set it up that when you enter a cockpit that it auto switches to a joystick setup

What I'd like is to have is the ability to have my game pad and or joystick plugged in and active with mouse and keyboard active as well...

So I can have the joystick/ game pad sitting on the desk next to the mouse and keyboard and only pick it up when I get in the pilot seat.  Seamlessly... not needing to open any menu to switch control modes.  So if for some reason I actually like the mouse and keyboard method for flight controls or just feel like using that this time... I can.