Communicator Element

Code24

I propose that there should be a universal Communicator Element that comes in various sizes.

Communication Unit

Handheld (Default)- Range ~5km, Can be Embedded in Nanopack

Small- Range: ~50km, Used on Small ships

Medium- Range: Whole Star System, Used on Large Ships

Large - Range: Nearby Star Systems, Used on Stations

Each would have a sphere of communication range. The energy draw by each can be adjusted, to increase/decrease range.

Communicator has a transmitter and a receiver, each can be switched off if necessary

Capabilities

-Access Public Markets

-Access Public News Feeds

-Relay Signals through other Communicators

-Can Broadcast a continuous Message/Signal

-Send a Message to a specific ship or player within range

-Basis for In-Game Communications

Purpose

This is meant to place a counter-force on expansion. Let’s say there are 10,000 players online at a given moment on average. Rapid expansion in the early game to 100+ star systems would quickly make face to face player interaction rare because you would have an average of less than 100 players in each system.

Communicators impact an organization's choice about where to base their operations:

Establish a base farther from Alioth-

Pros: Less resource competition, constructs harder to find

Cons: Must maintain a long chain of relay stations to reach Alioth based markets

Establish a base closer to Alioth-

Pros: Less relay stations necessary, shorter trade routes

Cons: More easily discover-able constructs, more defense required

This mechanic will not limit Explorers. Exploration ships will have to be designed around supplies for long journeys with no access to the markets. However, it will force them to return to populated space before selling star maps.

Thanks for reading, and I'm open to hearing alternative ideas!

I was thinking about the mechanic today actually! As well, it would be a good idea to propose a communication satellite as well.

Example: A large construct that has the ability to send signals and link specific satellites to one another. These would take large resources to build and are very good. Most likely use is to connect two distant planets or two stations in order to send important messages and maybe civilian communication as well.

Pros: Can link two satellites that are far apart and likewise connect systems.

Cons: Costly to build. Must maintain constant connection without interference.

That's just one object that you might be able to add.

I think a natural reaction to this would be for explorers to carry small relay satellites with them. Basically a trash can with a solar panel and transmitter/receiver glued to it. 

I like the idea, but i think the capabilities of a relay station should be based on how many supporting blocks are connected to it. Want a shitty, 10km relay signal? Thats just a transmitter+reciever+powersource. Want to communicate with someone the next star system over? Your going to need a biiiig dish for that. The benefit of this is that communicators don't fall into discrete classes, but their capabilities can be scaled based upon the need of the creator. The downside is that its a bit more complex, but i think its something people could wrap their heads around pretty easily. 

Also, depending on the type of technology used for communication, ground based communicators should have a penalty talking to far-flung regions. Punching any kind of signal through the atmosphere is usually more inefficient than originating that signal in orbit. It also occurs to me that this could really impact pvp on a large scale, since targeting enemy communications could actually be a really effective way of disrupting their organization and capability to muster a response in time. 

I think a natural reaction to this would be for explorers to carry small relay satellites with them. Basically a trash can with a solar panel and transmitter/receiver glued to it. 

I like the idea, but i think the capabilities of a relay station should be based on how many supporting blocks are connected to it. Want a shitty, 10km relay signal? Thats just a transmitter+reciever+powersource. Want to communicate with someone the next star system over? Your going to need a biiiig dish for that. The benefit of this is that communicators don't fall into discrete classes, but their capabilities can be scaled based upon the need of the creator. The downside is that its a bit more complex, but i think its something people could wrap their heads around pretty easily. 

Also, depending on the type of technology used for communication, ground based communicators should have a penalty talking to far-flung regions. Punching any kind of signal through the atmosphere is usually more inefficient than originating that signal in orbit. It also occurs to me that this could really impact pvp on a large scale, since targeting enemy communications could actually be a really effective way of disrupting their organization and capability to muster a response in time. 

The idea of having diffrent types of communication tech would be pretty amazing, IMO. I can honestly like imagine a group of 5 miners, mining away at some ore on a moon, while listening to a news broadcast over their smaller relay they have set up near by, that could honestly be super impressive :D

but honestly I don't think that it would work that well in PvP... atleast between guilds / clans for a simple reason. It is very likely that if you are in a clan / guild you use a system like Team speak or Skype to talk to your team mates, so honestly I doupt there could be any massive thing with that :P

Tho it would be cool if a single player was shouting for help on coms as he is attacked by pirates.

Yeah if they can find a way to make it scalable that would great!

but honestly I don't think that it would work that well in PvP... atleast between guilds / clans for a simple reason. It is very likely that if you are in a clan / guild you use a system like Team speak or Skype to talk to your team mates, so honestly I doupt there could be any massive thing with that :P

Tho it would be cool if a single player was shouting for help on coms as he is attacked by pirates.

Yeah I agree that in game comms will be easily circumvented and I'm okay with that because the Communication Unit would be more about information transfer (accessing news, markets, etc.) than actual voice comms between faction members.  The only situation were you would want in-game voice chat will be talking to players you don't know.

And you gave me an idea... How about a universal distress call, so that if you are being attacked by pirates other players will be able to see your distress call if they are in Comms range.