Weapon types

Tnecniw

What weapon types do you guys see being likely in this game?

Projectile? Lasers? Missiles? Biological? Energy weapons?

(Personally I hope for some sort of "arc cannon" or something, that shoots massive bolts of lightning. Then I could build a huge capital ship, name it Mjolnir and carry my Scandinavian legacy)

I see it being energy based, laser, Rail, etc... and ships will more than likely still also have missile and torpedo weapons.

but I guess that any "Arc cannons" will be very unlikely?

It's an interesting question, because although players are supposed to be able to create their own weapons, the actual visual effects (lightning bolts for an arc laser) and actual damage effects, as well as the energy input required to power them would still have to be coded into the game by devs.

It's an interesting question, because although players are supposed to be able to create their own weapons, the actual visual effects (lightning bolts for an arc laser) and actual damage effects, as well as the energy input required to power them would still have to be coded into the game by devs.

Yeah, yeah. I know :D

I so just want a massive frontal cannon on a capital ship, like it shoots a massive huge lightning at something, powerfull enough to like sink a capital ship in one shot...

"The hammer of Thor" :3

It's not a bad thing to think about. We can probably imagine weapons will do different sorts of damage to different objects. As well, it might even be possible to implement differents sorts of armor and hull to protect your ship. 

This brings another point. Biological ships, as you discussed in your other post, could potentially be damaged by biological weapons.

It's not a bad thing to think about. We can probably imagine weapons will do different sorts of damage to different objects. As well, it might even be possible to implement differents sorts of armor and hull to protect your ship.

This brings another point. Biological ships, as you discussed in your other post, could potentially be damaged by biological weapons.

Interesting...

Another thing to think about, Meele weapons. Yeah, maybe not the most obvious weapon, but BASICLY imagine a ship with sort of grabbing claws. It goes up to a ship, grabs it and then attempts to crush or destroy important things while making it impossible to escape...

(Or it is a away to board other ships :D) could work both with biological ships (like maws and claws) and with techno ships

Interesting...

Another thing to think about, Meele weapons. Yeah, maybe not the most obvious weapon, but BASICLY imagine a ship with sort of grabbing claws. It goes up to a ship, grabs it and then attempts to crush or destroy important things while making it impossible to escape...

(Or it is a away to board other ships :D) could work both with biological ships (like maws and claws) and with techno ships

On that topic, it might be possible to engineer tractor beams. However, depending on what the ship in front of you has done to it, it may not be able to pull it due to some deflector. That being said, it might be interesting to see different variants of weapons you wouldn't think twice about.

On that topic, it might be possible to engineer tractor beams. However, depending on what the ship in front of you has done to it, it may not be able to pull it due to some deflector. That being said, it might be interesting to see different variants of weapons you wouldn't think twice about.

Can't wait to see the things we can build :D *Sighes* so long Untill it is possible for me to join or try it out

Can't wait to see the things we can build :D *Sighes* so long Untill it is possible for me to join or try it out

Yep. The wait is long but the reward will be oh so amazing. The game looks to be good and I can't wait to see what the devs will get for us.

Yep. The wait is long but the reward will be oh so amazing. The game looks to be good and I can't wait to see what the devs will get for us.

I just hope they optimize it well and early...

I have early access to Eternal crusade and while it has gotten better is it still rather Laggy, easy to break and very choppy at places, makes it hard to really play it

Interesting...

I don't know how many people have read the old E.E. "Doc" Smith "Lensman" series, but I always found the idea of tractors/pressors working in conjunction as interesting.  Or tractoring to hold a ship while a quasi-energy tube connects the two ships and the torpedo/projectile is launched down the tube.  The back of the tube being sealed after launch creating not just the explosion on impact but containing the expanding gases and energy to force through the wall shields of the opposing ship.  In essence containing the expansion for exiting into surround space and focusing on the target in addition to any inertial damage.

Or, the ability to counter inertia making a body inertialess, towing it to where you want it to be, then re-inerting it so that it once again moves in the vector it originally was.   Asteroids, Moons, Comets, would make some pretty spectacular weapons.

Personally I would like to see the good old Casaba-Howitzer.  It's essentially a nuclear warhead wrapped in a depleted uranium jar with the open side capped by a tungsten plate (same basic principle as the Orion drive for those familiar with it).  When the nuke detonates most of the energy is directed into the tungsten plate, turning it into a relativistic jet of plasma.  I imagine it would be resource-intensive to build and pretty heavy to carry around but when you absolutely have to cut that space battleship in half there is really no substitute.

Whats really interesting to me is that things like missiles will probably be player constructs. Its basically just explosive block, fuel block, engine block at the simplest, but i think there could be a lot of room for player tinkering and innovation, especially with targeting systems and the like.

And if you have missiles, you have to have point defense, which would probably be something like a small, rapid fire gun, maybe even a flak type gun, with a "shoot fast moving things and try to predict their approach vector" script plugged in. The possibilities are incredible!

On a slightly related topic, do we know what kind of defensive systems are in the game, like armor and shields?

Whats really interesting to me is that things like missiles will probably be player constructs. Its basically just explosive block, fuel block, engine block at the simplest, but i think there could be a lot of room for player tinkering and innovation, especially with targeting systems and the like.

And if you have missiles, you have to have point defense, which would probably be something like a small, rapid fire gun, maybe even a flak type gun, with a "shoot fast moving things and try to predict their approach vector" script plugged in. The possibilities are incredible!

On a slightly related topic, do we know what kind of defensive systems are in the game, like armor and shields?

That could be interesting.

I do imagine they will use shields aswell, since that is almost as good as a common thing in all sci-fi. Like shield batteries that might burn out if placed under too much preassure :3 could be really interesting.

It would be cool to see some MAC type weapons as well.  The ideas are endless and I can't wait to see all the builds people come up with and to contribute to the list of builds myself.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a game I once played called Pardus. Within it were biological, conventional, and electromagnetic weapons and armors. EM weapons did bonus damage to Bio armor, and vice versa. Could be an interesting development here.

Oh man, Pardus... Thought I was the only one in the history of the internet who remembered that one! Was beginning to wonder if I imagined the whole thing. Gimme a Scorp with x2 BSAs, x2 Viral Glands, Huge shield and x6 Pardus armor... hold full of bots, drugs, and 5600 APs ready to burn. Good times.

Another totally different game had fantastic weapons customization: Aurora.  http://aurora2.pentarch.org/  Not only can you choose between kinetic weapons, energy/beam weapons, and missiles, but each one of those options has multiple layers of design and customization. It's a near perfect build your own gun system; more detailed even than From the Depths. Of course, Aurora is 2D and has no graphics to speak of... oh well.

The LUA scripting might provide the answer to some weapon type questions, seeing as it is supposed to be able to change how weapons operate.  Could be that you increase fire power at the expense of ROF, or vise versa.  Or another idea I had was to build a separate construct (for bigger ships, stations, and orbital platforms), that combines a handful of the element guns scripted to fire in sequence, so a turret would get a higher ROF. But that may not be the type of weapon types you are interested in. Well let me know what you think, some of this depends on how gun cycle between shots. 

I'd like to see all kinds of predefined weapons based on kinetic, nuclear or pure energy and anything else that seems legit. And of course, player made weapons are pretty much limitless. Reconfiguring predefined weapons also sounds like a good idea. It needs a good balanced mechanic but I would hope that isn't difficult.