Weapon types

Tnecniw

• 1 month later...

Screw the arc cannon, give me a rail cluster tumbler: Ship long rail guns loaded with girders separate on contact into unbalanced segments with possible incendiaries based on relative zero kinetic motion. Even if they intercept with some sort of countermeasure, the pieces will move forward with momentum after that initial contact.

• 1 month later...

Laser Gatling gun, anyone? :D 

I really hope that NQ opens the doors wide for weapon customization, you could really end up with some awesome builds, like the ones mentioned here.

Also, here's an option for tractor beam defense: an EMP bomb that you release as soon as you get caught. The tractor beam generators would pull it right into them, and it would detonate on contact blowing the generator's energy circuit. Voila, engines ahead full! Adios Amigo!

They discussed there being a few different weapon damage types, and shield types to corresponds with the weapons. We are talking some kind of odd rock-paper-scissors system, where one weapon type is innefective vs one type of shield, normal effectiveness against another, and very efffective against the 3rd.

For weapon types we might be looking at...

Concussive - gatling guns, railguns, flak guns, shotguns, etc

Explosive - missiles, torpedoes, mines, grenades, etc

Energy - lazers, pulse weapons, beam weapons, tazers, etc

For shield types we might be looking at...

Hardened Shields - Effective vs concussive, weak vs Explosive

Reactive Shields - Effective vs explosive. weak vs Energy

Refracting Shields - Effective vs energy, weak vs Concussive

Edit: Each damage type and shield type will likely have unique properties as well. For example, Concussive weapons might have a smaller damage sphere, but causes more intense damage in that sphere. Explosive will likely have the largest damage sphere. Energy may be the most accurate, and will not require ammo (uses power instead).

Hardened shields might be the hardest to collapse, but recovers the slowest if disabled. Reactive shields might drop easily, but recovers easily when dropped. Refracting shields may take the least energy to run, freeing up more energy for other systems, etc.

Man i missed this thread. I was looking for this to discuss weapon types and other mechanics but i was in the wrong sub forum.

What do you guys think of any off the ideas found linked below? It's not all new or 100% original, just an idea post.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10102-damage-types-resistances-weapon-statistics/

They discussed there being a few different weapon damage types, and shield types to corresponds with the weapons. We are talking some kind of odd rock-paper-scissors system, where one weapon type is innefective vs one type of shield, normal effectiveness against another, and very efffective against the 3rd.

For weapon types we might be looking at...

Concussive - gatling guns, railguns, flak guns, shotguns, etc

Explosive - missiles, torpedoes, mines, grenades, etc

Energy - lazers, pulse weapons, beam weapons, tazers, etc

For shield types we might be looking at...

Hardened Shields - Effective vs concussive, weak vs Explosive

Reactive Shields - Effective vs explosive. weak vs Energy

Refracting Shields - Effective vs energy, weak vs Concussive

Edit: Each damage type and shield type will likely have unique properties as well. For example, Concussive weapons might have a smaller damage sphere, but causes more intense damage in that sphere. Explosive will likely have the largest damage sphere. Energy may be the most accurate, and will not require ammo (uses power instead).

Hardened shields might be the hardest to collapse, but recovers the slowest if disabled. Reactive shields might drop easily, but recovers easily when dropped. Refracting shields may take the least energy to run, freeing up more energy for other systems, etc.

I agree with this. But It is important that there are a good balance between each of them, otherwise will everyone fly around with only energy weapons, because they are the most effective.

(as an example)

Also, we need a large divercity between the weapons themselves, I mean the game is about warfare in space and such, so it is needed that the combat is interesting (AKA not EVE combat)

Yeah, yeah. I know :D

I so just want a massive frontal cannon on a capital ship, like it shoots a massive huge lightning at something, powerfull enough to like sink a capital ship in one shot...

"The hammer of Thor" :3

The Starship Yamato's Wave Motion Gun.

Anyone else here ever play GDW's Traveler: High Guard?  At certain tech levels and tonnages, capital ships are permitted to mount, or rather be built around, a "spinal mount" weapons system.  This is generally a plasma or fusion gun, and at the top level I think it was a meson gun.  The ships would have arrays of other smaller weapons usually in turrets, including pulse and beam lasers, conventional and nuclear missiles, railguns, and I'm sure we could add EMP and microwave weapons, X-ray lasers and even more exotic weapons considering that the Resurrection Nodes use quantum physics to warp reality.  

Small arms would be projectile weapons, lasers, and at high tech levels, plasma and fusion guns (though typically those would have to be in conjunction with powered armor.)  There should also be blades, clubs, etc.

Personal armor would also be a consideration, and could start at cloth armor, leather, metal mesh, duraplastic, reflec armor (good v. lasers worthless against other weapons), combat plate (like our Interceptor body armor), and different types of powered armor at high tech levels. 

Personal shields could be available at very high tech levels.

Did any of you see this?

http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:DU_Explorers_Interview_(Sep_17,_2016)#Weapons_Systems

It answers some of your question no?

Actually it just says that there will be different types of weapons that will have different counters, which is pretty much what one would expect.  I suppose to would be something like: lasers are stopped by paint, sand or mirrors, projectiles (and plasmas?) are stopped by electromagnetic shielding, missiles are stopped by point defense lasers or countermissiles, and armor stops everything but it really slows down your ship.  I figure we'll start with lasers in alpha and they may add new weapon types when the game stopping bugs that we'll find in alpha have been dealt with.  This is sort of a "wouldn't this be neat" conversation at this point.  I'm sure the devs are making their objects extensible so that a laser can be turned into a projectile weapon or a plasma gun easily enough.  Missiles would be an entirely different mechanic, of course; basically they'd be tiny ships that explode on collision.

Of course, collision damage is not going to be part of the game, not with billions of collisions that have to be evaluated throughout the universe every second, but missiles could have a OnCollision() method that causes damage to any objects in a certain range (for example a nuke could damage anything within several kilometers while a basic explosive warhead might just damage stuff within a few meters.)  The OnCollision() method of ships will basically be to bounce away from whatever they collide with.

If it's lasers please give them decent sound!  A recent games lasers sound like the noise you made as a kid with your imaginary laser pistol.  Tbh give them all great sound it really adds to the immersiveness at little cost to performance.

If it's lasers please give them decent sound!  A recent games lasers sound like the noise you made as a kid with your imaginary laser pistol.  Tbh give them all great sound it really adds to the immersiveness at little cost to performance.

Hmm, what would YOU like? :D

A Solid BZZT or a more of a... BWAP. :D Like what kind of sound would you like.

Hmm, what would YOU like? :D

A Solid BZZT or a more of a... BWAP. :D Like what kind of sound would you like.

In Star Wars they made their laser sound effects by banging a hammer on heavy springs and recording that sound.  And interestingly enough, in the US Army High Energy Liquid Laser Area Defense System (HELLADS) they added that as an internal sound effect so that operators would know that the laser was firing, since lasers are totally silent.

Maybe a huge step-based boosting plasma cannon, which is expensive to build, and it exist different types of ship protection shields.

and the shoots are fast like laser blasts.

Like that Picture, just smaller and firmly integrated into the ship.

My Idea is a Off-Oriented, one soot-based middle class attacker. 

zt7vcx.jpg+carrier_concept_spaceship_by_bradwright-
(not my picture, i dont own :D)

Some variable-fire-rate weapon systems would be cool.

For certain weapons, you could choose between Full Auto, Normal Fire, or Marksman mode.

Obviously, any wepon built specifically for one of these roles would perform much better at any one of the roles than these "flexible" systems, but it would be cool to have them.

Energy Weapons:

-Full Auto: faster fire rate, retains accuracy, reduced damage. (Less charge time between shots = less energy = less damage.)

-Normal: well...normal fire rate, normal accuracy...etc. :-)

-Marksman: slow fire rate, higher accuracy, higher damage(?).

Projectile Weapons:

-Full Auto: faster fire rate, reduced accuracy, normal damage. ( a bullet is a bullet, so no "charge time = damage" variable.)

-Normal: umm..normal everything...I guess. :-P

-Marksman: slow fire rate, higher accuracy (more accurate than energy marksman?),normal damage. (Again, a bullet is a bullet.)

This could be a way for people and/or small ships to be versatile in their weapons even if they can't afford/don't have room for each of the weapon types.

Some variable-fire-rate weapon systems would be cool.

For certain weapons, you could choose between Full Auto, Normal Fire, or Marksman mode.

Obviously, any wepon built specifically for one of these roles would perform much better at any one of the roles than these "flexible" systems, but it would be cool to have them.

Energy Weapons:

-Full Auto: faster fire rate, retains accuracy, reduced damage. (Less charge time between shots = less energy = less damage.)

-Normal: well...normal fire rate, normal accuracy...etc. :-)

-Marksman: slow fire rate, higher accuracy, higher damage(?).

Projectile Weapons:

-Full Auto: faster fire rate, reduced accuracy, normal damage. ( a bullet is a bullet, so no "charge time = damage" variable.)

-Normal: umm..normal everything...I guess. :-P

-Marksman: slow fire rate, higher accuracy (more accurate than energy marksman?),normal damage. (Again, a bullet is a bullet.)

This could be a way for people and/or small ships to be versatile in their weapons even if they can't afford/don't have room for each of the weapon types.

Ehm, that is not how "bullets" work :P

Normal would do normal damage, full auto does "less" damage as each bullet have slightly less force behind it... and a marksman should do really high damage as "marksman" bullets can punch trough armor in a single shot.

Ehm, that is not how "bullets" work :P

Normal would do normal damage, full auto does "less" damage as each bullet have slightly less force behind it... and a marksman should do really high damage as "marksman" bullets can punch trough armor in a single shot.

Given a certain caliber, they would do the same amount of damage.

A .50 caliber machine gun will do the same amount of damage per round when fired at full-auto, verses semi-auto, and slapping a scope on the machine gun will only increase accuracy.

A .50 caliber sniper rifle MAY change the performance of the bullet depending upon the length of the barrel and possibly the rifling. But this is a change to the gun. Not the bullet.

I'm trying to think of a time, where full-auto would impart less force on the bullet. POSSIBLY due to the recoil of the previous round, but if you think about it, the gun doesn't fire until after the recoil is expended and the bolt slams forward again.

I am thinking more along the lines of what Ripper just pointed out.

However..your point would be valid if the only way to change fire-rate on a projectile weapon is by loading a DIFFERENT TYPE of ammo. This could actually be a cool way to boost the effect of your chosen "mode".

For example, let's say you can choose any of the 3 fire-rates while using normal ammo, they would have the effects I mentioned, with damage the same across the board.

BUT, you could also purchase/create "specialized" ammo for the Full-Auto and Marksman modes.

If the Full-Auto fire rate is 100 rounds per minute, the Specialized Full-Auto ammunition could add, say a 20% increase in fire rate, at the expense of damage and possibly accuracy (in addition to the standard accuracy reduction). This ammo *could* be used in Normal fire mode, but typically as a last resort since it retains the low damage, while giving no speed boost.

Specialized Marksman ammo could give an additional boost of accuracy and damage to the Marksman mode, at the expense of even slower than standard reload speed. (Hotter load, faster weapon overheat, requires extra bolt lock to handle higher pressure.) This ammo could not be used in Normal mode due to the high pressure/heat buildup.

Also, switching between ammo types would take time, so you would want to set up for each battle ahead of time.

I am hoping for varied types energy based(plasma,laser ect) ,Projectile based (shells ,bullets) and ordinance (missiles ,Torpedoes,rockets).

In space engineers you are limited to missiles and Gatling guns,(or if you get advanced like me rail guns, cluster bombs,and even NUKES.)But this makes things increadibly boring because there is no strategy other than have more guns than the other guy

I suspect DU will all of for some kind of player made weapons but at the vanilla level there needs to be variety,

i am hoping that at least energy based weapons would be capable of overload ... like you have a lot of spare energy so you will overload the weapon. It will take a lot more energy but also it would do a lot more damage but the weapon itself would take damage everytime it fires. 

i am hoping that at least energy based weapons would be capable of overload ... like you have a lot of spare energy so you will overload the weapon. It will take a lot more energy but also it would do a lot more damage but the weapon itself would take damage everytime it fires. 

Good idea! It could be like a last-ditch get-out-of-Dodge mode, sacrifice the cannon to save the ship!

Also, it would mean that other ​ players might be able to overload your​ energy weapons by targeting them with some kind of super-charging shot. Even if your guns have super-capacitors to absorb the energy, you would have to make the choice to either use the extra energy against the opponent (the scene from Avengers where Iron Man fights Thor comes to mind,) and damage your weapons, or shut them down temporarily to re-route the energy elsewhere.

But...the damage to the weapon would have to be pretty extensive, otherwise people would run them on Overload all the time and just have them being constantly repaired.

But...the damage to the weapon would have to be pretty extensive, otherwise people would run them on Overload all the time and just have them being constantly repaired.

not necessarily ... devs can make repair little bit harder for example ship would have to be turned off or at least you would have to turn off the weapon you want to repair