How will the "class" system work?

Tnecniw

I just thought about something... How will the ship class system work? Let's say you build a ship... What makes it classify as a capitalship, a battleship, a carrier, a frigate, a fighter and so on?

Will there be a weight system? Will there be a thing where you designate what class you are building?

As far as I know, nothing has been said about this. I assume there will be player designated classes myself, but other than my ideas and the ideas of the community, I haven't heard anything about it.

This is how I would imagine it as well, its all just ships until we classify them, most ships fit into classifications based on mission, not tonnage.  

This is how I would imagine it as well, its all just ships until we classify them, most ships fit into classifications based on mission, not tonnage.  

Actually it goes even broader: It's all just constructs until we classify them as buildings and ships and Death Stars. From there we can futher classify ships.

Since it is all about the sandbox, I don't think that DU will technically have any ship classes other than what comes from general consensus.  And even then, there would be nothing to prevent someone from calling a ship that they built whatever class they wish.  That is part of the draw for me, the lack of constraints.

Don't think there are ship classes. Its all just a collection of voxels, elements, and scripts. You can call it whatever ya like, but i assume that general guidelines will be created by the community at some point as to differentiate ships of various sizes and capabilities