Navigation Systems

MasteredRed

Not at all new but still just as important, navigation systems are a large need if you are to be exploring the universe. We can assume that a navigational system may be provided in each cockpit and in basic systems, but what about navigational systems for larger expeditions and large planets. There may be a need for greater navigational power.

Here I propose advanced navigational systems. These would theoretically be able to provide advanced capabilities.

it is my ongoing belief that there will be a basic nav system. but that we the players will need to script new ai's for more advanced ones. just based on the screenshots we can see some kind of nav system on the small personal vessels as well as what seems to be a large map on the capital ship

Not at all new but still just as important, navigation systems are a large need if you are to be exploring the universe. We can assume that a navigational system may be provided in each cockpit and in basic systems, but what about navigational systems for larger expeditions and large planets. There may be a need for greater navigational power.

Here I propose advanced navigational systems. These would theoretically be able to provide advanced capabilities.

I don't see why the way of navigating between well established systems should be anymore complicated or different from any other game (simple star-map ect)

However discovering new systems and reaching them is entirely up to the devs

Perhaps we will start with but a dot on our map and later have it expand outwards as each new system is jumped to for the first time.

Perhaps we will be shown the star systems for quite a distance around the center but fill in the details as we scan each system.

We shall see but making exploring interesting and worth doing in such a large universe is no doubt vital!

I really want to see planetary cartography as a fleshed out mechanic. I love the idea of tailoring my ship for planetary surface scans, flying around a planet a bunch, and at the end of it having a detailed surface map that points out geological features, man made constructs, and even potentially resource hotspots. With the games scripting and building system though i bet you could design a satellite to do the same thing, depending on the orbital mechanics involved. Attach a "mapping" unit, upload an "orbiting" script, tell it to do X number of rotations around the planet and then stop and then go collect it. Thats my hope at least, but i'm a cartography nerd

Advanced navigation could potentially be used to explore new systems and planets. The basic navigation could, in theory, only be able to jump to planets if accurate coordinates are imputed. However, advanced navigation could potentially be able to jump to location without the need to send a probe. It could also be an occupation if you were forced to calculate the distance to a planet + the speed of the ship in warp + the amount of time it takes to come in and out of hyperspace + the amount of leeway given before (1) your just too far away still or (2) you jump into the planet itself. Additionally, one might need to check if debris or asteroids are in the vanity of the exit point.

As for cartography, it be neat to see a very in depth process. I think that map information should not just be available for everyone. Some people will have very large and in depth maps, whereas other could only know of a few systems. This in turn would (1) create a possible advantage over competition, (2) create a way for explorers to make money, and (3) add to the immersion.

Also people could purchase sector maps (let's say a galaxy is divided into many sectors) but in order for more information other than just locations of stars and planets one would have to purchase system maps (which could provide information on a set of planet)

Call me old fashioned, but i like the idea of firing of long range probes. When it comes down to stars etc. we have the technology in the real world to guage distance and what not so  i dont think that ths would really have to be a problem. Now to see whats in the system once you discover how far away it is, thats where long range probes and the sort comes in. or If your close enough, then potentially long range scans from your ship. As far as actual navigation, as long as they build in something for some sort of avoidance (dont care to go FTL strait into a planet) then im happy. Once you have researched a star or cluster through getting a distance and bearing, then it should just go into your ships computers to update your star chart.

All of this is just my opinion of course, but the only reason i could see an advanced navigation computer would be to do things such as waypoint navigation with docking etc. In that case i agree with Gingerdeadman6 that player created scripts would be best for stuff like that. In an open game like this i think players should be partially responsible for the creation of things.

Call me old fashioned, but i like the idea of firing of long range probes. When it comes down to stars etc. we have the technology in the real world to guage distance and what not so  i dont think that ths would really have to be a problem. Now to see whats in the system once you discover how far away it is, thats where long range probes and the sort comes in. or If your close enough, then potentially long range scans from your ship. As far as actual navigation, as long as they build in something for some sort of avoidance (dont care to go FTL strait into a planet) then im happy. Once you have researched a star or cluster through getting a distance and bearing, then it should just go into your ships computers to update your star chart.

All of this is just my opinion of course, but the only reason i could see an advanced navigation computer would be to do things such as waypoint navigation with docking etc. In that case i agree with Gingerdeadman6 that player created scripts would be best for stuff like that. In an open game like this i think players should be partially responsible for the creation of things.

The dev interview that TheXPGamers did the dev talked about having to send probes, that could take months to get to there location, in order to travel to a location. So It seems like probes will be a thing.

The dev interview that TheXPGamers did the dev talked about having to send probes, that could take months to get to there location, in order to travel to a location. So It seems like probes will be a thing.

i actually like that, assuming that there isnt a limit to the number of probes you can have out at once, and hopefully they have an FTL or jump capability as well. Fire out 15 different probes one day and another 15 the next rinse and repeat... then you start recieving in the fruits of your laobors over time ensuring that you have a constantly updating starmap and information flow. After all Information is power and i think we are going to see that in this game very quickly. He who knows more will ba able to profit faster.

i actually like that, assuming that there isnt a limit to the number of probes you can have out at once, and hopefully they have an FTL or jump capability as well. Fire out 15 different probes one day and another 15 the next rinse and repeat... then you start recieving in the fruits of your laobors over time ensuring that you have a constantly updating starmap and information flow. After all Information is power and i think we are going to see that in this game very quickly. He who knows more will ba able to profit faster.

I doubt probes will have FTL capabilities (1) because in the interview the dev says they will fly at "regular" speed and (2) because putting something in a probe to make it FTL capable is cost prohibitive and hard to do on an object that is almost entirely composed of sensors.