Ripper Invisible Target Lock (RITL)

Ripper

UPDATE:  This is a suggestion for the devs to implement on single seat cockpits, and allow fixed weapons.  Otherwise, nobody will want to fly fixed, if its scripted by the players, because they would be at a disadvantage to players with turrets. ALSO, it MUST be done by the devs at the "mesh element" level, due to the way damage is applied (in a traget/dmg MMO model).  A simple scripted lock solution will allow fixed weapons to fire in any direction, and is open to exploit.  One possible solution is to have the RITL performed by the fixed weapon "mesh element".  This will allow users to build their own turrets, or other exotic weapon systems.

Bear in mind that combat has NOT been implemented yet.  So things can drastically change.  Nothing's set in stone.

I haven't seen a confirmation on this, but there are rumors that combat will be based around "tabbed targeting".   From my understanding, this is like most MMOs, where the player "targets" the MOB, and then attacks it.

To be honest, targeting is just fine for capital ships with turrets, but what about those fighters?  Most players are going to want a sim/fps experience.  They're going to want those fixed weapons.

INTRODUCTING THE RIPPER INVISIBLE TARGET LOCK

In your standard MMO, target locking, can be performed by selecting a MOB with your mouse, or tabbing to the next closet MOB. 

The RITL is essentially another method to target a MOB.  The "Ripper Invisible Target Lock" method, is a short duration missile style lock that implements tab targeting.  Coupled with a small radius from the reticle to lock on.

This forces a player to line up the shot.  They have to have their target in their cross hairs.  In the background, the RITL selects the target for one to two seconds (balanced for gameplay), and the player fires the weapon.  As long as the ship remains in the cross hairs, the target remains locked, but if the target out maneuvers the pilot, the target lock is lost.

There's no need for the target lock to be visible for the player.  Its specifically there as a mechanic, to provide the illusion of SIM/FPS combat.

Bear in mind that combat has NOT been implemented yet.  So things can drastically change.  Nothing's set in stone.

I haven't seen a confirmation on this, but there are rumors that combat will be based around "tabbed targeting".   From my understanding, this is like most MMOs, where the player "targets" the MOB, and then attacks it.

To be honest, targeting is just fine for capital ships with turrets, but what about those fighters.  Most players are going to want a sim/fps experience.  They're going to want those fixed weapons.

INTRODUCTING THE RIPPER INVISIBLE TARGET LOCK

In your standard MMO, target locking, can be performed by selecting a MOB with your mouse, or tabbing to the next closet MOB. 

The RITL is essentially another method to target a MOB.  The "Ripper Invisible Target Lock" method, is essentially a short duration missile style lock that implements tab targeting.  Coupled with a small radius from the reticle to lock on.

This forces a player to line up the shot.  They have to have their target in their cross hairs.  In the background, the RITL selects the target for one to two seconds (balanced for gameplay), and the player fires the weapon.  As long as the ship remains in the cross hairs, the target remains locked, but if the target out maneuvers the pilot, the target lock is lost.

There's no need for the target lock to be visible for the player.  Its specifically there as a mechanic, to provide the illusion of SIM/FPS combat.

I really hope we can have more "skil" targeting for atleast the fighters... If I wanted tab targeting I would play EVE :P (which combat is basicly tab targeting)

id like to see a fps style combat even for craft combat (thinking land space and air)

with fighters maybe have it more of a fixed crosshair in front of the ship that you have to line up like in a real fighter plane back in the days of ww1 and ww2 but with some kind of missile system as well that you can lock onto a target and let loose a missile/torpedo. but having ships only have x amount of missiles to fire off while a near unlimited supply of laser burst fire. with capital ships and large cruisers and such id like to see each gun being controlled by a person. or a cluster of guns being controlled by a person that lines up shots unless an auto targeting ai is built for it. but id like to see something other than tab targeting for immersion

id like to see a fps style combat even for craft combat (thinking land space and air)

with fighters maybe have it more of a fixed crosshair in front of the ship that you have to line up like in a real fighter plane back in the days of ww1 and ww2 but with some kind of missile system as well that you can lock onto a target and let loose a missile/torpedo. but having ships only have x amount of missiles to fire off while a near unlimited supply of laser burst fire. with capital ships and large cruisers and such id like to see each gun being controlled by a person. or a cluster of guns being controlled by a person that lines up shots unless an auto targeting ai is built for it. but id like to see something other than tab targeting for immersion

Agree 100% with this. I don't want tab targeting... I get it, this game is 100% about crafting and building whatever we want, but combat is also neccecary in such a enviroment, otherwise is it less of a competiton. 

We need a sort of more interactive combat experience, with aiming and such, with dog fighting and with broadside combat and fire. this is very important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm really looking forward to the coding side of things.

So, weapons..  Components...

We'll see if I can be successful in churning out things.

However,  I'd like to see the Devs look into the RITL.  I think it should be hard coded to the cockpit mesh.   If that doesn't happen, I'll look into it.

Also,

For this to have a chance of succeeding, fixed weapons should be much lighter, and use less energy than a turret.  Otherwise, there's no benefit to running a ship with fixed weapons.

There would need to be a benefit to running fixed, if everyone else is running turrets, but I'm sure the devs will balance this.

Also,

For this to have a chance of succeeding, fixed weapons should be much lighter, and use less energy than a turret.  Otherwise, there's no benefit to running a ship with fixed weapons.

There would need to be a benefit to running fixed, if everyone else is running turrets, but I'm sure the devs will balance this.

id like to think that the turrets would need more energy and because of a higher energy consumption that they would do more damage. this would also lend to what i said and make the missiles more for hitting a capital ship or cruiser over hitting another fighter. not that you couldnt lock on to another fighter but if they use missiles in the game and they are limited then it make more sense to use on a capital to open it up for boarding. OR! bombers i like bombers too lol

I'm really looking forward to the coding side of things.

So, weapons.. Components...

We'll see if I can be successful in churning out things.

However, I'd like to see the Devs look into the RITL. I think it should be hard coded to the cockpit mesh. If that doesn't happen, I'll look into it.

Wait... Why would ripper be coding? :o is there something I have missed here? XD

We need a sort of more interactive combat experience, with aiming and such, with dog fighting and with broadside combat and fire. this is very important in the grand scheme of things.

and how does "tab targetting" prevent dogfighting and broadside combat?

how does it prevent "interactive" combat?

with all thats done is that the turrets automatically turn to face your target you still have to get close to your target, turn your ship to face your guns in its general direction and pull the trigger.

if a fighter manages to stay out of your weapons possible targetting cone or out of your range he still evades your fire.

if that corvette manages to stay in your ships dead spot he can hack at you with impunity

all thats removed is the part where you have to manually put your cursor on the target

how does that make combat less interactive?

and how does "tab targetting" prevent dogfighting and broadside combat?

how does it prevent "interactive" combat?

with all thats done is that the turrets automatically turn to face your target you still have to get close to your target, turn your ship to face your guns in its general direction and pull the trigger.

if a fighter manages to stay out of your weapons possible targetting cone or out of your range he still evades your fire.

if that corvette manages to stay in your ships dead spot he can hack at you with impunity

all thats removed is the part where you have to manually put your cursor on the target

how does that make combat less interactive?

It is a case of... well.. have you tried EVE?

I dunno about you, but eve's combat is quite... well boring and that is an example on Tab targeting combat. It works well for larger ships, sure... but for smaller ships and fighters would a more direct aim and skill element be more interesting and effective.

Besides, trust me... if it has tab-targeting for ALL ships, the game will loose a fair group of players.

I dunno about you, but eve's combat is quite... well boring and that is an example on Tab targeting combat. It works well for larger ships, sure... but for smaller ships and fighters would a more direct aim and skill element be more interesting and effective.

Besides, trust me... if it has tab-targeting for ALL ships, the game will loose a fair group of players.

becomes less about skill and more about who has bigger guns. which tilts the scales of pvp in favor of the larger factions. making harder on smaller factions and pirate groups

You said it yourself "targeting cone".

If the devs have developed a solution which limits a turret to a cone of fire (direction of fire), then they already have a solution for fixed weapons.

and eve has no concept of limited firing arcs for weapons, you cannot evade fire by moving to some other point in space except for getting out of range or the angular velocity mechanics.

if your fighter has only forward firing weapons your enemy can still evade your fire by getting away from your front.

regardless of automatic targetting.

and eve has no concept of limited firing arcs for weapons, you cannot evade fire by moving to some other point in space except for getting out of range or the angular velocity mechanics.

if your fighter has only forward firing weapons your enemy can still evade your fire by getting away from your front.

regardless of automatic targetting.

You get my point, it is GENERALLY more interesting to have free form combat, atleast in fighter form

You get my point, it is GENERALLY more interesting to have free form combat, atleast in fighter form

the best solution I can think is that normally you have to manually aim unless you can write a script that acts like tab targeting for turrets.

the best solution I can think is that normally you have to manually aim unless you can write a script that acts like tab targeting for turrets.

thing is with "tab targeting" being the only way of fighting in DU instead of simulated projectiles thats not exactly possible

hm.. really? i remembered something along those lines in one of the explanatory texts... *shrug*

there hasn't been any real talk about the combat of the game yet other than you can build weapons and that the game will first be from a fps point of view with maybe over the shoulder 3rd person support added if it fits.