E3 ships not made in engine? (debunked)

Simokon

So it seems the sleuths on Reddit are claiming that the ships from the E3 trailer are not in fact made in engine but are actually bought models, is this true?

Reddit thread.

Edit: Claim has been debunked, pitchforks can go away again.

So it seems the sleuths on Reddit are claiming that the ships from the E3 trailer are not in fact made in engine but are actually bought models, is this true?

Reddit thread.

Well... it is hard to say for us...

though you could just argue that they took inspiration and built something that looked the same way. *strokes chin* Lets keep positive, alright?

Give proof of that and they just didn't take inspiration?

In the first place I thought the same, inspiration. But when you actually watch the screenshots, you can actually see the curve in the model in some pictures  http://imgur.com/a/wOgDs

I'm sorry but these space ships have wayyyy to much details to be in a "blocky sandbox" 

second of all, there is just too much similarities between http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/scifi-spaceships-cruiser-fighter-3d-model/782086 and that    http://imgur.com/X6Vw1qD 

In the first place I thought the same, inspiration. But when you actually watch the screenshots, you can actually see the curve in the model in some pictures  http://imgur.com/a/wOgDs

I'm sorry but these space ships have wayyyy to much details to be in a "blocky sandbox" 

"blocky sandbox" probably comes from the fact that it is still pre-alpha and kinda needs more work before it is finished...

But I prefer to keep it positive untill I see absolute proof that there is actually such a thing.

"blocky sandbox" probably comes from the fact that it is still pre-alpha and kinda needs more work before it is finished...

But I prefer to keep it positive untill I see absolute proof that there is actually such a thing.

Sure you can :), but now you are aware of what's going on. Personally i'm waiting the devs give information of those models.

I really hope that this game can compete with Space engineers ^^

Sure you can :), but now you are aware of what's going on. Personally i'm waiting the devs give information of those models.

I really hope that this game can compete with Space engineers ^^

I just really hope I can go REALLY super detailed with my ships *eyes tingling*

I'll take the devs at their word, that all assets were created in game.

The "fighter" is completely voxel and "mesh element" created.  This is obvious from previous twitter posts that show the fighter in is disassembled state.  I can't speak about where the devs came up with their inspiration.

The capital ships were "player" created, and it says so in the trailer.  You can't say NQ copied or used Star Wars assets, when you see X-Wing fighters show up.  The players created them.

Bear in mind JC Baillie, originally intended to attend E3 WITHOUT making a presentation.  The devs had to throw that teaser together at the last moment, because JC was able to score an interview.

Reddit thread.

Does it really matter? I don't decide if I will buy the game until the end of the Beta. Come on guys, its a preview of the most early stages of the game. Most of the people are offering some eye candy for a con like E3 in this stage will show up some creativity for a hot ironed video. That's nothing weird or unusual.

Calm down, ignore the troll and see what the next months will happen on the news and feature front. No sane gamer values a game by a pre-alpha video for a con. B)

Why would it matter where they got their models from if they paid for them? Isn't that the whole point of paying for them, so that you can use them in your own licensed content?

If the models were imported into the engine as voxels, then it ultimately doesn't matter where they were sourced from. NQ has told us over and over that they are not a content company, they see themselves as a tech company. They provide the tools and the engine for us to create what we want inside of the game world, but they aren't in the business of creating ships, quests, etc. for us. The fact that they would buy a prebuilt set of assets doesn't change that, especially if those assets were imported into the voxel engine. 

When I was working on a 3d engine 2 years ago, I had to import external assets all the time to make sure that my engine was actually working properly. To be honest, I didn't have the time to sit around making 3d models with blender/maya/max/whatever, while hammering out C++ at the same time. If I were building a new voxel engine, I'd import external assets to make sure everything was working properly too. 

Why would it matter where they got their models from if they paid for them? Isn't that the whole point of paying for them, so that you can use them in your own licensed content?

If the models were imported into the engine as voxels, then it ultimately doesn't matter where they were sourced from. NQ has told us over and over that they are not a content company, they see themselves as a tech company. They provide the tools and the engine for us to create what we want inside of the game world, but they aren't in the business of creating ships, quests, etc. for us. The fact that they would buy a prebuilt set of assets doesn't change that, especially if those assets were imported into the voxel engine. 

When I was working on a 3d engine 2 years ago, I had to import external assets all the time to make sure that my engine was actually working properly. To be honest, I didn't have the time to sit around making 3d models with blender/maya/max/whatever, while hammering out C++ at the same time. If I were building a new voxel engine, I'd import external assets to make sure everything was working properly too. 

They must not write this then : http://imgur.com/a/r4hVJ Cause that is lying to people.

I think the people get angry because the trailer said "all constructions & ships are built in game", it turns out that the Capital ships are not built in game and now they think the whole game is fake.

It could ! We can't even trust the first trailer of the game... ? We need more information about pretty much everything... I don't understand how you guys can be that hype :/

I hype the game because the tech and the idea are promising and ambitious. And as long as i haven't paid for the game, i see no point in ending the hype because of one trailer which isn't 100% true. and i personally see the need for such trailer, because would NQ show us a 100% true trailer it would probably like looking out the window.

Und jetzt troll dich endlich du Troll. -_-

there is a difference between using an outside blueprint and having it built using the blueprints which we still don't know how those work exactly but I believe that if you build form blueprint that your character basically goes in auto pilot and builds it. if they imported the blueprint and had it build inside the engine then it was constructed ingame. they aren't claiming that its their own original design. and like it was previous stated. this was thrown together at the last minute. no where near time enough to go in and independently make each ship and building with out using some sort of pre existing blueprint or autopiliot build mode

edited for typo

I think the people get angry because the trailer said "all constructions & ships are built in game", it turns out that the Capital ships are not built in game and now they think the whole game is fake.

but why do you think they didn't? Are you saying thausands of built objects in space engineer, landmark etc. weren't built by player jsut because they used a design which was made by another person? They used a Design they boughed so they dont have to waste time to design anown ship, that doesnt mean they didnt built it with the ingame tools.

sorry for the german text, but i'm tired and get slowly angry. To the german speaking community members feel free to translate.

Ich unterstütze das Spiel und es ist mir vollkommen egal ob die models einfach nur reinkopiert, in Voxel gerendert oder nach dem Design gebaut worden sind.

Ich vertrete lediglich die ansicht das die Leute sich darüber aufregen das die Schiffe theoretisch einfach rein kopiert sein könnten, entschuldigung bitte das ich das mit meinen englisch kenntnissen nicht deutlich machen konnte.

so now i'm going to sleep, this whole discussion had worn me out, good night!

As has already been intimated by some, there is software out there that will take a mesh, convert it to voxels and then import it into a voxel engine to have it rendered in game.  Where that is probably not a capability that will be allowed to players in the game (due to the developers wanting to maintain look and feel, or prevent any IP problems) that does not preclude the developers from using the tool to use the software to have a mesh rendered in world where they can then apply their existing textures.  The voxels would still be rendered in game using the game engine, the original mapping would have been from a mesh that provided the framework for the object to be rendered in game.

Not that I know that is the case, it appears to me to be a likely scenario given that they were not planning on having a vid @ E3, but they had to come up with one on a short time frame.  Take a mesh, throw it into the converter, import it into the game's voxel rendering engine, paint it with textures, create video.  The only difference is that software did the heavy lifting converting an existing mesh into a voxel map that the game could then render instead of having someone individually place the voxels.  Given the situation, I'm good with that--technically, it is rendered in game, just not manually.  

From what I see in the video, and what I have seen so far concerning the voxel engine, I could build that capital ship--it would take time--but I could build it.  Heck, I could build the thing in Landmark and that engine has much fewer capabilities that what has been expressed for DU.

Hi everyone,

So it seems that BlueDrake42 has a vendetta against our game for no apparent reason (if there is one, we will be interested to know it).

As we can't remain silent against such diffamatory talk, here is our answer:

In this video, you can see that our battlecruisers are made with voxels, and arent' meshes as supposed in BlueDrake42 last video on Dual Universe.

@Pittouniata:

Your signature and your posts will be edited as they are definitely inappropriate and diffamatory.

If you persist in this behaviour, you'll be banned. This is the first and last warning.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.