Is it just me that KINDA fears it will become a SCI-FI ark?

Tnecniw

What specifically about Ark are you concerned about it replicating?

I haven't played Ark, but I've watched a couple of let's plays and have generally heard good things, I am just not really quite as interested in camp building and dino training as I am in designing ships and in social organizations.

I have played ARK, and I think there is little to worry about.  The games are actually two different genres with "some" overlap when it comes to the term sandbox.  ARK is a game of surviving your environment.  You can build buildings, explore terrain, and tame dinos.  Gathering the resources and surviving long enough to do it is the "game".  The frustrations you run into for ARK depend on who you play with.  If you play on a public server for instance the game becomes very unfriendly to new players.  Almost everything is built upon already,  resources are monopolized by the largest clans, and in some cases you can be constantly griefed by established clans who will hunt you down from the outset.  They rule the server and you can't get away.  You can read all about new players who quit playing because they are being caged and used as food for tamed dinos EVERY SINGLE SPAWN.  If you play privately with some friends on your own server,  it's fun.  Till you explore everything which is very doable.  It's just not big enough.

"It's just not big enough." exactly my problem with most MMORPGs in the last 12 years. No crafted economy. Tacked on PVP. Instances everywhere.

Well to be fair with the first and third point they have their own pitfalls.  And PVP is rarely tacked on.  In early MMORPGs (Asheron's Call for example) Instancing didn't exist and everyone was flooding areas and waiting for respawns.  It had nothing to do with the size of the game or lack of server shards.  You simply couldn't underestimate a players desire for that one item that could be dropped by that one mob.  You literally waited in line for a critter to reappear.  Crafted economies I believe deserve special notice here.  In games where the economy is player driven you faced a limited scope or capability.  Take Star Wars Galaxies for example.  There was a random variance in the statistics of gear made.  This made the items you made unique to you.  People would come from all over to get the one item YOU made that fit their character concept better than anyone else making that item.  This however could often feel like a cop out.  If I made an armorer just as good as you why wouldn't I be able to make what you can?  Also RNG could limit you to making excellent quality items that no one wanted because the stats were wrong.  A hard pill to swallow if your character concept and skill selection was all crafting skills.  Also what about resources?  In Ultima online If I needed leather I either bought it from another player or I hunted for it.  What is a reasonable amount of time before respawning those critters?  How do you stop a jackass from killing every critter in sight and hording the skins in a cave somewhere just because he can?  For PVP we need to know more of how combat is involved.  If the game is like most space sims in this respect, then combat is decided by the better pilot, the better ship, or even ahem "ping".  If it's more like E.V.E. then it will be decided by the "character" with higher skills, the better current ship meta, or in game knowledge of tactical capabilities.  In this game the direction seems to be what I can create from scratch, a design can be solely my own and I can sell it.  I find this intriguing and will no doubt have a ton of fun with it  (Heaven help you if you see me play Space Engineers).  This can be frustrating as well though.  Especially with something stated as an RPG.  If I play a role I expect the game design to allow me to play that role.  They seem to be heading this route with how they stated the goals with piloting and gunnery skills, but I reserve judgement until I hear about what other skills will be included in game.  I guess i'm trying to say is If I want to play a navigation expert in game I don't want to have to learn actual astrodynamics to do it.  But I think it's perfectly reasonable to be a bad ship engineer just because you don't have a knack for it.

WOW,  I just verbal vomited all over this page.

@Tnecniw:

If it can reassure you, no, we're not making a Sci-Fi version of Ark, without Dinos ;)

There will be safe zones for those who don't wan't to have PvP activities. We won't force PvP on players, we want to avoid that at all costs.

We also plan to provide basic resources (necessary to make all the vital items or basic constructs) available in (really) huge amounts, so no one can have a monopole.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

@Tnecniw:

If it can reassure you, no, we're not making a Sci-Fi version of Ark, without Dinos ;)

There will be safe zones for those who don't wan't to have PvP activities. We won't force PvP on players, we want to avoid that at all costs.

We also plan to provide basic resources (necessary to make all the vital items or basic constructs) available in (really) huge amounts, so no one can have a monopole.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Good to hear :D