Is it just me that KINDA fears it will become a SCI-FI ark?

Tnecniw

Is it just me that is a bit worried this might turn into a SCI-FI version of ARK? :P I know it is probably just my cynical mind but... it sounds alot like ark but in space and without dinos... 

I hope I am wrong and I REALLY hope this will be good. but I really don't want another game that is too much in that style.

What specifically about Ark are you concerned about it replicating?

I haven't played Ark, but I've watched a couple of let's plays and have generally heard good things, I am just not really quite as interested in camp building and dino training as I am in designing ships and in social organizations.

As long as it doesn't end up like Starforge, and becomes a better version of Starmade, I will love it. I don't think it would ever be like Ark in space. There hasn't been anything hardly even said about there being creatures on these generated planets. But, it would be cool to be able to ride some alien animals.... for about 5 minutes, then it would be, wtf am I doing?!? I have space ships!

As long as it doesn't end up like Starforge, and becomes a better version of Starmade, I will love it. I don't think it would ever be like Ark in space. There hasn't been anything hardly even said about there being creatures on these generated planets. But, it would be cool to be able to ride some alien animals.... for about 5 minutes, then it would be, wtf am I doing?!? I have space ships!

And this is why making interaction with fauna interesting is probably one of the hardest thing to do in a sci-fi game, where artificial materials are expected to be a lot more useful then anything nature can provide. I can already see this happening to No Man's Sky, where interesting and diverse fauna is one of the biggest hype factor in the presentations, but from all indications will have little to no purpose beyond naming animals and trying to not get eaten by animals.

If they do focus more on developing procedural fauna at some point, then I hope they can figure out a use for having them around and discovering new ones. Maybe some animals can be "uplifted/enslaved" to serve as an alternative to droids, or maybe you could collect DNA samples from them to create various buffs that can help you survive in certain environments.  

I can already see this happening to No Man's Sky, where interesting and diverse fauna is one of the biggest hype factor in the presentations 

No Man's Sky will die because, although its multiplayer, you don't spawn close to anyone. At least anyone you want to be near.

No Man's Sky will die because, although its multiplayer, you don't spawn close to anyone. At least anyone you want to be near.

I don't think it will die, but it will certainly have an overhype blowout and be much more of a niche game then it's current community is expecting. Essentially if don't enjoy exploring procedural worlds for the scenery, you are not going to enjoy NMS.

I personally can't wait for NMS, but, it will be hard for me to play very long. Especially if it will take me literal days or weeks to find them.

completely unrelated but as I am excited for NMS I feel like I need to chime in and say that hello games said that while NMS is an online game they don't say that it is a multiplayer game. its there intent to make it so you don't run into anyone. I suppose its possible with a lot of coordination with another player but it wouldn't be worth while imo. NMS is more of a solo survival game. more space minecraft.

I don't think it will die, but it will certainly have an overhype blowout and be much more of a niche game then it's current community is expecting. Essentially if don't enjoy exploring procedural worlds for the scenery, you are not going to enjoy NMS.

This is my opinion of NMS as well. I'm sure it will be great to those who enjoy that, but that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

What I fear with it being Ark... well, it is a couple of things but it mainly goes down to...

That the "requirements" are too high. In ark I think "Ohh, I want to tame that spider" but naah, I must play for about 40 hours, to gather the matertials and get the stuff to tame that animal in perticular.

Yeah, I get the idea that you shouldn't have everything at the start, of course... but more of a case that I just hope they put everything more branched than just a straight path.

Like in the start you maybe could choose "alright, do I want to add skills in biology... so I can produce medincine, finer foods and drinks or maybe study fauna.. OR shall I put skills in ore refinement, making it easier to create metals from the ores I get" 

instead of arks...

"I MUST GET ALL THE STEEL! SO I CAN MAKE A SUIT! SO I CAN SURVIVE GATHERING THESE PLANTS! AND TO DO THAT I MUST SPEND 30 HOURS TO GAIN THE SKILLS TO GET ENOUGH METALS!

(I don't remember much of ark, but that is basicly what I have heard and seen)

Dude are you kidding me. Can you imagine, you breach the hull of my capital ship, entering the hangar and Bama, theres a giant T-rex waiting for you. After fighting you way past and loose half your men you get into the corridors where I have packs of raptors roaming and waiting for you. Then I genetically modify a massive dinosaur whale for my support ships and they just eat your smaller vessels. 

But ARK is good, I agree the optimizaion sucks, but its Alpha (or do they call it Pre-Alpha) either way its not finalized. They are doing good things and rapidly adding content. But its still not what DU is going for. 

Dude are you kidding me. Can you imagine, you breach the hull of my capital ship, entering the hangar and Bama, theres a giant T-rex waiting for you. After fighting you way past and loose half your men you get into the corridors where I have packs of raptors roaming and waiting for you. Then I genetically modify a massive dinosaur whale for my support ships and they just eat your smaller vessels. 

But ARK is good, I agree the optimizaion sucks, but its Alpha (or do they call it Pre-Alpha) either way its not finalized. They are doing good things and rapidly adding content. But its still not what DU is going for. 

Well, depending on how intricate the mechanical systems can get...

944x531.jpg

It feels a little early to be concerned about anything. I'm impressed by what I've seen and heard so far from this pre-alpha game.

You have the creepiest image :o

If I found dinosaurs in your ship, I would raid you like I raid in ark. Shoot them from afar, or lure them out. But realistically, if we were fighting, I would rather just utterly destroy your ship rather than raid it. I am fine with there being animals in the game, especially if you can ride them. But, I have played Ark since release. So, flying around in space or driving a vehicle around would, for me, be preferable.

I played Ark for a good long while when it was new, it came to the point that i had multiple of each dinosaur and a building so complex you'd get lost in it for days. I'd been to every corner of the map on the back of a 'dactyl and further.

My impressions of Ark after completing all this was, "Its different". Crafting system wasn't really new, Building system was more of less 'Rust', Combat was poor. It just had dinosaurs that you could tame and ride.

Looking back at my gameplay of Ark it was the novelty of the dinosaurs that kept me playing, once you had a couple of them, if you didn't play PvP Aggressive, there was nothing left for you to do and it became boring very quick.

DU on the other hand has a superior building system through voxels and it's potentially infinite planets alongside it being a single shard MMO with Lua coding. It is as far from Ark in potential enjoyability as it can get, ark was all 'novelty' where DU is pure 'gameplay' yes it's similar to other games with voxels but those other games were not Infinite persistent MMO based and in space.

If Ark was MMO and on a spherical planet not just a single map i would have enjoyed it better but they are not able to do it or it's to late for Ark.

I have no fear that DU will best Ark 100x over and i have zero fear that it will just become a sci-fi ark.

Spaceships, players and infinite planets, what can go wrong :)

nora,

A couple friends and I ran a private ark server for just us and as pve. We also ran into the issue of running out of things to do. When playing solo it seems like one can just maintain themselves with a very slow progress. When I became a tribe of two with my husband our progress increased rapidly. We eventually hit the point of "we can go to this new region and build an outpost, but whats the point?" With DU being an MMO, and hopefully more types of interactions than PVP combat, there is a reason to build an outpost over the next hill/planet.

One of the things that I love about city management games like good ol' Caesar 3 or Anno is that there is always something to optimize, to improve, even in the late game.

You have the creepiest image :o

Ive been screaming for sandboxes for years but I worry that now that we have seen a few players will want more than a box to build and fight in. Now lame scripty quests, but some kind of direction or story content to participate in. Something to make the in game shared universe really feel like its a universe. EVE and Star Citizen look to do that well.

Ive been screaming for sandboxes for years but I worry that now that we have seen a few players will want more than a box to build and fight in. Now lame scripty quests, but some kind of direction or story content to participate in. Something to make the in game shared universe really feel like its a universe. EVE and Star Citizen look to do that well.

Indeed :D trust me, alot of people have been searching for the RIGHT game.