Food and Water

The_War_Doctor

I plan on setting up a canteen where people can sell what they have killed or have grown at a rate higher that the ark-rate and buy processed and consumable food and drink for less than the ark-price. That will provide income for me and will provide a higher income for the hunters / farmers and lower the amount it costs them to eat. It will also allow me to gather information about good hunting grounds, geography and topography do I might be able to trade or sell maps. 

• 7 months later...

I think that food would create many opportunities, such as setting out with your friends for long hunting and gathering trips, selling food and drink in an intergalactic market, maybe even working at a tavern.

I think the way they should integrate it is that on the lower level foods, it just provides nutrition, but on the more rare and expensive food and drink they give you small buffs.

I think that the more of one type of food you eat, the less nutrition you should get out of it, which returns to its normal value, very very slowly. This would help encourage a better economy, instead of everyone stocking up on the cheapest food and rendering all the others almost redundant

I'm not gonna bother reading the 7 pages leading up to this, but NO. For the love of god NO!

It doesn't even make sense from a lore/immersion perspective!

If humanity has advanced enough to travel deep into space we've long since replaced traditional food with a pill or injection to fill our needs - Also who the hell wants to be a spacefarmer? Really.... Not enough to sustain the rest of us at least, I'll guarantee you that!

I am a patient guy, and if I was 20 years younger and had no kids that demand my attention every second of their waking lives I might go for it, at least entertain the idea of it. I'm not there anymore and if this chore is put on me, when would I have time to explore, build and scour the markets of this universe? Never. That's when. It'd be Real life 2.0

I'm not gonna bother reading the 7 pages leading up to this, but NO. For the love of god NO!

It doesn't even make sense from a lore/immersion perspective!

If humanity has advanced enough to travel deep into space we've long since replaced traditional food with a pill or injection to fill our needs - Also who the hell wants to be a spacefarmer? Really.... Not enough to sustain the rest of us at least, I'll guarantee you that!

I am a patient guy, and if I was 20 years younger and had no kids that demand my attention every second of their waking lives I might go for it, at least entertain the idea of it. I'm not there anymore and if this chore is put on me, when would I have time to explore, build and scour the markets of this universe? Never. That's when. It'd be Real life 2.0

"Who wants to be a space farmer"

*Slooowly raises hand*

I mean, in games like this am I often the profession or crafting guy. While it is far from the only thing I would want to do, would that actually be a calming and nice experience. :3

Dunno, it can be a nice feeling if you feed settlements, cities or troops on some distant battlefield with the food you distribute.

In addition having your own supply or farm in some base and becoming relatively self sufficient is another thing I like. I mostly enjoy the added difficulty or aspect of logistics in terms of survival just like some portential refuel, repair or natural hazards aspect.

Food/Water need is a genre break and won't be a part of the game.

I get why there is still confusion here though. DU is a sandbox game, and MOST sandbox games are also survival games. Survival games require food/water, track stamina, often track heat/cold or radiation.

But DU is NOT a survival game, it is an MMO. It is common for some MMO's to have food/drink as a buff of some kind. The Devs have entertained something along those lines as a possible future update, but made it pretty clear that it might not be farm-able or food in the way we are familiar with it.

Something we know for sure is that the Devs will not be implementing a food/water requirement system. Its not something the community can ask for and get, its not part of the MMO genre, and not something they want in their game. The goal is for the primary threat to be other players, not the environment.

On the flip-side, the Devs did mention that they wanted to make supplies an important part of longer trips, and that players would have to prepare in advance if they wanted to travel greater distances. By supplies they weren't talking about food/water, they were talking about fuel for ships/constructs, and raw materials to use for repairs. Running out of fuel during a flight, or having to abandon your hovercraft during a scouting mission on a planet represents a substantial risk and might scratch that survival itch that people keep alluding to. Power management likely won't be a matter of life or death on its own, but becoming stranded and having to wait for a solar battery to recharge or to need to scan for uranium will leave you vulnerable to attack from other players. 

I personally think this would be a nice aspect of the game as long as it isn't necessary. For example, eating food would give you more energy and stamina, so if you're a miner underground, you can mine faster then someone who hasn't eaten at all. Or if you're a builder you can build more constructs faster e.t.c. I also think it would be nice to have your own farms and grow your own food, it would make the game more emmersive and realistic.

I personally think this would be a nice aspect of the game as long as it isn't necessary. For example, eating food would give you more energy and stamina, so if you're a miner underground, you can mine faster then someone who hasn't eaten at all. Or if you're a builder you can build more constructs faster e.t.c. I also think it would be nice to have your own farms and grow your own food, it would make the game more emmersive and realistic.

You can achieve that kind of gameplay mechanic without making it food or water, and I'd say that it would be more immersive to do so.

How would eating a wheel of cheese make your Electronic Matter Displacer mine faster? Wouldn't it be more immersive to add an Overdrive Capaciter?

If your space suit allows you to maneuver in higher, lower, or no gravity whatsoever, wouldn't an extended Power Pack for your suit allow you to run for longer?

Your matter reformer on your wrist can build a house out of a rock in 5 minutes, why couldn't your suit generate sustenance for you without farming?

and these very science-fiction elements could be manufactured at a terminal using minerals and ice that you've harvested. That is a more immersive science fiction experience than planting crops and eating bread in space.

• 3 weeks later...

You can achieve that kind of gameplay mechanic without making it food or water, and I'd say that it would be more immersive to do so.

How would eating a wheel of cheese make your Electronic Matter Displacer mine faster? Wouldn't it be more immersive to add an Overdrive Capaciter?

If your space suit allows you to maneuver in higher, lower, or no gravity whatsoever, wouldn't an extended Power Pack for your suit allow you to run for longer?

Your matter reformer on your wrist can build a house out of a rock in 5 minutes, why couldn't your suit generate sustenance for you without farming?

and these very science-fiction elements could be manufactured at a terminal using minerals and ice that you've harvested. That is a more immersive science fiction experience than planting crops and eating bread in space.

I agree.

The Arkers in DU, are borderline cyborgs. They got an implant in their head and a mechanical arm that works with calories and batteries in their body that store energy.

I agree, you CAN have food in-game without having hunger. My arker-human can have batteries in his person that can store like 100000 amperhours. That's a BATTERY. It draisn to fill up my internal capacitor implants. Those cpacitors then DRAIN when they have to suply thingsl ike my jet-pack or sustain my sprinting (both can be reduced in cost via skill-training wink-wink).

So, the "food" system, can be as simple as having two stamina bars, one for long-term and on efor shor-term. Ypou know, like the thing we got in our bodies called fat. That's our body's energy source. We got brown and white fat. I'll let aynone research this futhermore, I am not writing a thesis on fat.

However, THIRST is pretty much obsolete in DU. The characters wear a Biosuit. That Biosuit is there to take care of biological needs... like piss. Yes, gross, but also, makes sense. Your body sanitises whatever you urinate - and by a large margin - so your suit only has to take away ammonia out of the urine - which is pretty freaking easy.

What I think though on "Food buffs" is something like a short term effect. Sugar could give you "sugar rush", making you have abit of haste on your cycles, like "5% faster lock-on" or "5% more speed" if you consume something with "flavour" to it. And tyhis could a agood segway tinto chemically induced states. as a mechanism.

You consume space-cocaine? You get 15% speed of some kind, but you lose twice as much energy out of your capacitors. You take painkillers? You reduce status effect durations (like stuns) but at the cost of taking longer to refill your short-term stamina bar which draisn your bateries (which can be hindering) as painkillers hinder your metabolism - the rate at which you convert long-term stored energy to short-term 

And FYI, the more muscle-mass you have ,the more short-term energy you have. So it can mean asoldier that has 10 /10 on Sntregnth won''t feel the same as the scientist guy. One of the two will run out of Short-term energy faster.

Just saying, you guys need to see this long term. And do not put Cheese-Wheels and Cocaine on the same arguement over status effects on food. Your Strawmen get weaker as time goes by old buddy, old pal.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eating and drinking shouldn't be necessary to survive. They should be implemented, but used for buffing crafting, pvp, other traits. I would like a system similar to Star Wars Galaxies.

The items provide another layer to the player-made economy, providing a whole market for players to be involved in. Harvest/manufacturing/distributing--all these things would be managed by players. It's a great content creator, but it doesn't need to be something everyone needs partake in if they don't want to. 

I want to have farm with cows, tomatoes, salad, cucumbers, some other vegetables, craft burgers and coke, sell it in my fast-food base. Then when it becomes popular, poison all burgers with uranium, all visitors die and I grab everything that was in their pockets. Then drink a glass of whiskey watching sunset of twin-stars, get into my ship and begin new life... build a church to help poor, teach them how to grow tomatoes and cows... find some new uranium deposit...  

• 2 weeks later...
On 25. 4. 2017 at 2:32 PM, wizardoftrash said:

But DU is NOT a survival game, it is an MMO. It is common for some MMO's to have food/drink as a buff of some kind. The Devs have entertained something along those lines as a possible future update, but made it pretty clear that it might not be farm-able or food in the way we are familiar with it.

Something we know for sure is that the Devs will not be implementing a food/water requirement system. Its not something the community can ask for and get, its not part of the MMO genre, and not something they want in their game. The goal is for the primary threat to be other players, not the environment.

You are wrong ... there is MMO in development where players require food to survive .... Life is feudal

Water aspect of this post is mute because as someone said we will be wearing biosuits but I would like to see food in game  .... not necessary to survive but it could significantly improve character performence. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I just joined this community and I have been following this game for a while now, mostly on YouTube, which isn't much at the moment but I like what I've seen so far.  I'm very excited about this game as it's the game I've been waiting for.  A game that allows you to be anyone, do anything and go anywhere.  That is, for me, the holy grail of gaming.  Now, on the topic of a food and water mechanic in the game, I would most definitely like to see this as it would add to the richness and diversity of the economy.  For example, I'm sure some people will want to play the role of a farmer (like in a farming sim).  There wouldn't be much point to farming if characters in the game didn't have to occasionally consume food.

Players would only have to remember to consume a little bit of in-game food every so often, say once per game day. They would have indicators to tell them as much.  This would create the demand for foodstuffs, and therefore the need for someone to provide a convenient supply to the markets (outside of hunting for food yourself- a type of gameplay which would appeal to those looking for a more survivalist experience in the game - think Willis and Jerry in 'Enemy Mine' after they crash-landed on that alien planet during a war).  I can see maybe the need to actually have the foodstuffs physically transported to a factory before they can be processed into food packages and purchased on-market.  This would in turn create an opportunity for those who might be interested in running a freight operation (or working for one - think Ripley and the rest of the crew of the Nostromo in 'Alien'). Someone might be interested in designing these vehicles with varying capabilities and specifications, and thus price ranges.  Of course, before you can build a vehicle, you need the materials to build it with, which is where the miners come in, creating more demand for what they do.

Someone, in turn, may be interested in providing freight security services, while others may wish to play the role of the outlaw who wants to take advantage of the contrasting opportunity to ambush  those freight deliveries for their own gain.  How they would go about this would be up to them, as would the measures put in place by the organizations hired to provide security in-transit.  This would give bounty hunters more work to do tracking down those outlaws who manage to get away with the proceeds of their crime.  Explorers would have to account for food supplies in their logistical calculations, and maybe some enterprising entrepreneur would be encouraged to open up outlets where travellers can top up their supplies.  You get the picture.  It would contribute to a more robust economy and immersive experience.   The same would go for certain types of everyday clothing, where farmers produce the raw materials for them.  It would be a very interesting addition to the game.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:17 AM, vylqun said:

I'm against it, this is supposed to be a builder/scifi mmorpg, not a survival game. I definitely dont want to be forced to regularly eat food, its only a chore without benefit.

This seems like laziness if more then anything as depending on how it is implemented it requires people to prepare before they do things whitch NQ has stated that they wish to do whitch can be inferred that the game is a survival game.

I really like this idea. Sure, it's kind of annoying, but it also adds professions and lots of logistics to take into mind when let's say, sending out a colony ship to a planet. 

Honestly, it just depends on how it's implemented. A player probably won't be growing a field of crops if that's not a thing they enjoy, but if it's implemented as something like a canister of algae which requires a reasonable amount of water per day, this will be an interesting gameplay mechanic for sure. Of course, this depends on the player. 

This mechanic could also add massive value to the starting planet, Alioth, and make it into an import/export hub for water and foodstuffs. It would also, as stated above, make the gameplay much more realistic. ?

On 6/21/2016 at 2:00 AM, Tnecniw said:

Could be really interesting. Making it much more realistic and immersive... maybe they could even add a sort of market in the case that you can sell food, water or the like to people if they are visiting your colony. Could be REALLY interesting :D

Perhaps a large farm of somekind for the food water I am not so sure about as its very reasorce rich and can be gathered from air if needed

On 6/22/2016 at 1:30 AM, Tnecniw said:

As I said earlier, it is a very complicated matter to discuss :P It could both be a Boon and a curse...

But if they make the food just a buffing thing, I think the buff needs to be quite strong. I mean, if it isn't strong then cooking / growing crops and such will basicly fall to the side as "useless" or "not worth the time".

Could be things like that someone that as skills in (let say) agriculture and biology (don't know the skills yet) can create amazing foods that can make you mine ore like 40% faster or something, which would make that incredible for people wishing to build things.

implants as a alternative to this?

TLDR: locking necro thread.

Actually, the first necroposter is OldingDaGrund.

• @OldingDaGrund, please have a look at the forum rules, especially " Necroposting on old threads (unpinned threads in which the last reply is older than 2 months). ".
  • @unown006, your posts would be a lot easier to read if you don't quote a wall of text each time. Also note that posting several messages in a thread instead of one bigger one may be seen as posts count boosting.
  • @Everyone, please don't reply to necroposts, this will not solve the problem. Just report them to ask moderators to lock the thread. Mentioning moderator(s) is not the way to go (first, reports are read by all moderators and CMs - second, reports are easier to review)

Thread cleaned and locked to prevent further posts.

~ Merwyn

Edited by Mod-Merwyn