Weapons of mass destruction(nuclear,chemical,etc)

KingofPR

•  I was thinking if it would be possible to create weapons of mass destruction(Nuclear,chemical,etc)that would have lasting effects in a certain area or even a whole planet.I would like to know how  do you feel about this type of weapons that could change the landscape and harm it.BTW this weapons would not be easy to make and its resources rare.Feel free to give your'e opinion :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

According to this article, http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?from=home&read=10930&ismb=1 , they want us to work towards building our own version of the Death Star. 

And what Death Star would be complete without a planet-destroying laser? :D

id rather see wmd like the death star over something like an atomic bomb. far as chemical and biological weapons, i dont see them being viable if we are in space suits. even radiation would have no actual effect on us. if we however need to eat to sustain ourselves or we would starve to death (an interesting mechanic in game) then bio and chem warfare would work in that it destroys our food source on a planet. but id like to see some truly scifi wmds

id rather see wmd like the death star over something like an atomic bomb. far as chemical and biological weapons, i dont see them being viable if we are in space suits. even radiation would have no actual effect on us. if we however need to eat to sustain ourselves or we would starve to death (an interesting mechanic in game) then bio and chem warfare would work in that it destroys our food source on a planet. but id like to see some truly scifi wmds

Good point sir

I would love to see some mass drivers in the game indeed.

ME : What's that down there Timmy? You buildin' a nice house?
*Grabs asteroid, hurls it down the planet"

Unless of course the devs decide to put automated carebear police to keep track of our infamy. Ain't no lil' Timmy worth a bounty.

And for the record, if there's a system in place for PK and Anti-PK, I'm sold on keeping Lil' Timmy safe down there, playing Legos IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE. 

At least I'll get to have myself some PvP action AND be the Carebear I always knew I was.

No furry. Fo' real.

What I'm thinking of when I look at this is some planets having a hostile atmosphere to them, like full of either C02 or methane. and on a clean planet, any WMD will have an area of contamination where if you don't have certain protection, you get damaged in some way when entering the contaminated area.

What I'm thinking of when I look at this is some planets having a hostile atmosphere to them, like full of either C02 or methane. and on a clean planet, any WMD will have an area of contamination where if you don't have certain protection, you get damaged in some way when entering the contaminated area.

Sir, I don't think you physics well. For a planet to sustain an atmosphere similar to ours, with the same atmospheric pressure as ours, it would deand of the planet to have similar proportions like ours. For a planet to be full of fart-gas (methane), that would demand of the planet to have a certain floral life, possibly, no tundra, meaning a dune world. Deploying a NUKE in a dune world, would be like throwing a turd in a 10 GIGAWATT spinning fan. That would create a shitstorm of such legendary proportions, that planet would be dubbed Turdclutter. And tell me this, who would ever go to a planet called Turdclutter? That's right,... me, building my secret base there, plotting my way to bring down the economy itself. So... yeah, please, ADD NUKES IN THE GAME (Possibly weather effects, procedural terrain and persistence, but please, start with the NUKES ^_^ ).

Having some kind of NBC arsenal (in a sci-fi variant) would be nice, especially "exotic" bio weapons or chemicals as long as you are also able to somehow repair the damage over time or with special tools.

Deadly gas cloud or area infected with some organism? Radiation? Put on some suit that withstands that and get to clean-up.

This is a space game...

I'd be disappointed if there weren't mass drivers.

Pluck an asteroid out of near space... and accelerate it at the ground.

Boom. 

I asked about this very thing in a thread in the mechanics forum and the consensus was that it wouldn't be possible because there won't be collision damage in the game.

I also asked about being able to shoot a Starkiller type weapon from outside the system of the target and most seemed to think it wouldn't be possible. :(

Question about energy and projectile weapons

Who knows, perhaps they might add it in the game. But I don't think collision damage won't be present. It's physics based in the game, mass, inertia etc. Perhaps they meant collision damge as of a ship's model shape and stuff. Who knows, we'll have to wait for a dev confirmation on this. Let's cross our fingers for a youtuber to talk shit and the devs slam dunking video proof as they did so far :P

• 4 months later...

Though i am new to forums themselves i feel like i have to be the bad cop and put some of these ideas into perspective. 

Novaquark doesn't want things like Nukes and Planet destroying lasers. it would ruin the game. such as what if people create a planet city like coruscant from starwars and some "alliance of trolls" come with a death star and destroy the work people would have spent possibly years to create, it would ruin the game for many people and many players would leave, leaving novaquark with less income and more bad reviews. I believe the best we should hop[e for is like a 1000 square foot explosion at best guys. sorry to be a party pooper but you gotta consider some aspects that would not improve the game but just make players leave.

This is where certain trolls get on and say: " If they couldn't protect their city, that's on them."

But in all seriousness, you bring up a good point. That being said, you could still destroy a city if you had a large enough ship / fleet. The difference is; you put a lot more time, energy, and resources into seeing that ship or fleet built, so incurring the wrath of a city-full of people just to troll them is less likely to happen. Chances are they will hire an army of mercenaries to exact their revenge on you, and that army will have the assistance of every peaceful planet to which you pose a threat.

I guess the point is, no matter what kind of WMD we are talking about, it will be easier and cheaper to build than the equivilant firepower in ships. This certainly opens the door to trolling on a massive scale, in my opinion.

As far as the Death Star goes, it was brought up in a similar thread, and although the concept is cool, I don't think NQ will be letting us destroy planets.

Exactly. I think it will be possible to do so, but NQ wants us to use vast amounts of firepower for such a project so that people could "evacuate" and fight back instead of mining inside the planet and chilling at a bar and suddenly re spawned at another Resurrection node :/

•  I was thinking if it would be possible to create weapons of mass destruction(Nuclear,chemical,etc)that would have lasting effects in a certain area or even a whole planet.I would like to know how  do you feel about this type of weapons that could change the landscape and harm it.BTW this weapons would not be easy to make and its resources rare.Feel free to give your'e opinion :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

the devs have already said there would be no super weapons because it would break the game 

I know some of you guys would love an all powerful death star that destroys planets in (even an hour) but let's face it, the debs won't allow that BECAUSE the "Alliance of Wonderful Troll Masters" could just make one and destroy every known planet and ship and leave us floating in space unable to do anything the game has to offer :/

but id like to see some truly scifi wmds

I have an idea that involves a temporary black hole that sucks everything in then explodes although I don't think this will be possible...

Will we even have black holes in DU?