Long-Term Resource Availability and New Player Conundrums

Zxaber

Considering the size of the Syndicate so far relative to every other organisation, and the fact that their largest competitor so far, BOO, are a purposeful group of pirates that want to establish their own lawless world, I will not be surprised if Emberstone becomes immediately established around the Arkship and after its initial construction mining and construction of the zone banned (via the RDMS). Establishing Alioth as a mostly peaceful recruiting planet shouldn't be especially difficult, but having NQ force the Arkship zones to be mine-free is overly restrictive. I say if people want to strip mine it into a canyon, let them do so.

As well, it can be noted in an interview yamamushi did with JC at pax, one of the questions that was asked was, "Will planet's regenerate? Or the zone around the Arkship?". The answer to this question was planets would not regenerate, however Arkship zones might be. However, he did not say there was a for sure answer on the arkship zones, so it could go either way. It's probably going to be up to the alpha testers.

Even BOO is welcome to come be a part of Emberstone, but yes it'll be a place of relative peace where we hope to help newbies learn things.

We must not let the first player experience be a pile of poo.

There will be combat arenas, and well figure out ways to emulate micro experiences of each play style so people can get a grip on the game and various things they can do.

If they end up not becoming a Magistrate of Cinderfall, or joining a syndicated member org well thats ok. If they want to join BOO, Empire, the ACS or whatever it reforms into that's ok.

CSYN isnt even quite a traditional organisation. its a sculpt-able establishment of order, it allows concepts that we know and like, such as war declarations to exist. a balance between absolute free for all and absolute order.

The objective is to make Emberstone a regional trade hub. so people from the outer sections of civilization want to come back and sell their goods there. The resources will come back to Alioth, and with our collective efforts we can finance giving newbies their crash course.

Many people seem to want the crash course on the game to be a dayz sim, or eve scam sim. nobody says that cant be your playstyle, but come on give the guy on a week old account a break, you are playing on gullability theyre trying to learn and there someone is gaming their knowledge to scam them, not cool.

There are totally honest ways to be a shady dude that arent malicious. I.E. In or around emberstone we want to have combat arenas where people can fight, nothing inhibits a deathmatch from being set up with the RDMS. and nothing inhibits you from running a underground gambling ring betting on the outcomes, sure you could rip everyone off and make a run for it with your stolen 100K, or you could stick around for a few matches and maybe come out with even more while still being a technically honest guy.

You have legitimate concerns, and a group of people that wish to see Dual Universe be a great game, a great place, and all around fun and not sucky, are meta gaming and thinking about what we can do as players to prevent the much feared second collapse of civilization. the first being the destruction of earth.

Step 1. Make Alioth Important for veterans and trade

Step 2. Make Alioth Cool for Newbies

Step 3. Encourage newbies to join orgs, The Outfit, CSYN, BOO, RNK, ACS, Emp, Froggies etc or whomever is good for the community. Discourage them from not good orgs.

TLDR : Were working on it

Many people seem to want the crash course on the game to be a dayz sim, or eve scam sim. nobody says that cant be your playstyle, but come on give the guy on a week old account a break, you are playing on gullability theyre trying to learn and there someone is gaming their knowledge to scam them, not cool.

There are totally honest ways to be a shady dude that arent malicious. I.E. In or around emberstone we want to have combat arenas where people can fight, nothing inhibits a deathmatch from being set up with the RDMS. and nothing inhibits you from running a underground gambling ring betting on the outcomes, sure you could rip everyone off and make a run for it with your stolen 100K, or you could stick around for a few matches and maybe come out with even more while still being a technically honest guy.

Well, newbros have to learn quickly. Especially that a sandbox is NOT like the other games out there, where everything is restricted (you can't be scammed, killed, hilariously messed around with,...) - which is the whole point of a sandbox. As I stated somewhere (can't remember where): Scams are easily detected and if a new guy gets ripped off - well he won't do that mistake a second time. Nothing to get anyway from that player btw....well except salt.

Yes there are ways to be the bad guy while not being malicious. But that's not the game some want to play. When I see a duel arena where people fight, then I'll be glad to start an all out war in that whole zone - just because I want to see it burn. Yeah I will die there, but at least I had fun in doing so - no f given. I don't like all that restrictions in orgs like "you can only attack other players here and there" - just not what I expect from the game.

The fun part about DU is, that you can just edit the whole world. Like MadOverlord stated, building Walls around peoples homes, spaceships, digging them in, messing around with their environment....that's exactly what makes this game so wonderful and hilarious.

We will see how it works out, but IMHO a sandbox is ONLY truly fun to play, when there is a balance between the guys who want order and police all around and the dudes that ruin peoples constructs and bring chaos.

the most likely scenario, is that newbies will manufacture stuff before they are recruited, this way they do not need to mine and only need a small plot of land to install production machinery, this way not much degradation and easy maintainability of the law with plot permissions.

ideally you would have a protective bubble generator for that, that is invincible only within the confinements of the arkship. you should be able to pass those but node modify or interact with things inside.

I know Boo was mentioned in this somewhere I recently joined boo myself, One of the reasons for that was there single rule of no griefing, We are all here to have fun so dont go out to ruin someone elses. Building a wall around someones base and charging him to get out if done once is somewhat funny doing it multiple times to the same player well i guess that might constitute griefing.

I know Boo was mentioned in this somewhere I recently joined boo myself, One of the reasons for that was there single rule of no griefing, We are all here to have fun so dont go out to ruin someone elses. Building a wall around someones base and charging him to get out if done once is somewhat funny doing it multiple times to the same player well i guess that might constitute griefing.

in larger and evolving community you cannot rely on trust. It has to be constructed and earned. They will most likely add permission mechanics to the game.

I say if people want to strip mine it into a canyon, let them do so.

Your position hilights the tension between making the game as open-world as possible and the commercial realities of attracting new players to the game. As the saying goes, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression", and if the first impression of new players is a cratered hellscape encircled by legions of griefers, that does not bode well for anyone long-term.

It will be interesting to see what mechanisms the developers come up with to address this issue and provide a smooth path for new players, as well as environments that fit the risk/reward tastes of various player demographics. I am sure there will be lots of instructive "emergent behavior" in the alpha.